Fiancé accused me of cheating :/

Options
Ok. Hi all.

I normally don't post things that are this serious or personal but I don't really have anywhere else to bounce this around.

My partner accused me of cheating on him. With my trainer.

My trainer and I are friends and nothing more. We don't see each other outside of the gym and he is also (happily!) coupled. We share quite a few non fitness related hobbies and will often spend some time chatting about them in the gym.

Part of me wants to feel bad for my fiancé because if he honestly thinks I've cheated he must be hurting a lot.

But mostly I'm just really insulted and very angry that he doesn't believe that I respect the commitment I made by saying 'Yes' when he proposed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience/ can give a girl some advice?

Replies

• queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, he's feeling insecure. So he needs to be left to figure out why that is and try and sort it out himself - no one else can help him unfortunately. You can only do your best to support him and show him that you're in it for the long run.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I want to do that, I guess I'm just really annoyed about it now. I feel like I can't have male friends >:(
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Dump him.

An accusation is serious and clearly shows that he does not trust you.
    Once that line is crossed, it is impossible to go back.
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Has your fiancé met your trainer? Maybe invite him to one of your sessions and then he can see for himself that you are just friends
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Dump him.

yeah, this is the sensible and not at all over reactionary thing to do:huh:
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear. Would be great for both of you to sit down with a mediator/counsellor to ensure you're both communicating effectively and understanding one another's feelings and concerns (it will cause more problems longterm if you let this fester). Then you can make a plan to work on the issues underlying those feelings. There will always be things both you and he can do to solidify the relationship. Relationships take a lot of work. Imagine if we never took a car to a mechanic? It would break down pretty fast. So sounds like it's time for you guys to have a little tune up and oil change. :)

Good luck!

x
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Dump him.

I don't think it is a dumpable offence. He obviously just needs a bit of reassurance at the moment. We all have moment like it. I recently got paranoid with my partner and I trust him
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Has your fiancé met your trainer? Maybe invite him to one of your sessions and then he can see for himself that you are just friends

He's met him quite a few times..
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Sorry to hear. Would be great for both of you to sit down with a mediator/counsellor to ensure you're both communicating effectively and understanding one another's feelings and concerns (it will cause more problems longterm if you let this fester). Then you can make a plan to work on the issues underlying those feelings. There will always be things both you and he can do to solidify the relationship. Relationships take a lot of work. Imagine if we never took a car to a mechanic? It would break down pretty fast. So sounds like it's time for you guys to have a little tune up and oil change. :)

Good luck!

x

I am considering counselling. He can be really insecure about other men/what I wear/me going out and it's starting to take its toll. This is the first time he has outright accused me of being unfaithful though
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Good luck!

x

I am considering counselling. He can be really insecure about other men/what I wear/me going out and it's starting to take its toll. This is the first time he has outright accused me of being unfaithful though

Counselling is definitely the most sensible idea. "DUMP HIM" is just a hasty, immature response.. these issues CAN be resolved
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    may be you can invite the trainer and his partner to a dinner or bump to him suddenly with her :wink: so that he can be :noway: and gives u a :smooched: and a :heart:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    From my POV; there's very few instances whereby a male and female can be good friends without there being some kind of interest beyond friendship from one party or the other. Being concerned/jealous could be an entirely rational reaction if you guys have argued or anything at all recently, though flat accusing you of cheating is a little extreme.

Just this guy's perspective.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

He's met him quite a few times..

I would say that if he has met him, and he has seen the way you interact with each other, he is obviously feeling insecure right now. Several months ago my husband actually said something to the effect of "I almost would not care if you stayed fat...that way I would not have to worry about who you might be meeting". Knowing him, and that he IS insecure like that, I have made the choice to NOT tell him that the trainer at the gym is a cute 20 something guy. I have a similar friendly type relationship with this trainer, who knows I am happily married and has never been anything but professional.
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    Obviously he feels threatened by your trainer, I would suggest getting a female trainer and get him involved as well as work on communication, counselling would also work.
  • LCSoulkat
    LCSoulkat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Dump him? I mean..really?? Amazing at how people think and react in today's society. Flush..next?

I would just sit down with him and rekindle whatever insecurity or reason for that, has brought him to think that way...if it is clearly not true from your end. Just think if the roles were reversed and you felt that way...

When two people love each other and feel strongly about it then isn't it worth discussing any issues that arise? It could be some jealousy because that person is a personal trainer so in a way, you should be flattered that he feels that way but reassure him right away about the committment you both made...Am sure if he would go training and had a female personal trainer, put yourself in his shoes...Isn't that committment worth saving?

Go for it.....don't just dump him because he feels that way /boggle.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend used to go on about my personal trainer when I had one a few years ago. Trainer was about 23 and in no way interested in a 35 year old lady with two kids...he did not accuse me of cheating, but he did think something was going on...it is insecurity and jealousy I guess, that you are doing something you love to do with another guy, who is not him?!

Try and chat to him and let him know your fitness and health are important, but that does not mean you are looking elsewhere for anything. Does he train with you? (I don't like training with others as I just want to get in and out of the gym quickly) Maybe suggest he comes and trains with you if he is that way inclined. I am not sure how else this can be dealt with, with it not becoming a huge issue and maybe a big argument. I do not think swapping to a female trainer is sensible as someone suggested...I had female trainers at my gym and they just don't do the pushing and set out the same routines as the male ones...aslo why should you have to change what you are doing just because he feels insecure?

Hmmmmm, this is tricky. Mine got over it when he realised that his thinking was stupid/immature/etc.
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Counseling at a minimum,.

Sounds like you are level headed enough to not let it lead to a very controlled relationship where his insecurities lead to you losing freedom to have your own life.....which is unacceptable.

Unfortunately , some who accuse are doing so out of their own guilt...counseling is definitely needed to get to the bottom of it now, and also define what you both agree to as acceptable friendships outside the marriage etc, once you take that step.

Make sure you are on the same page...
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    He must have insecrutuies about something. Do you spend alot of time apart doing seperate things? I think you should take him along to the gym and meet your PT. Maybe try doing some more things together. Reassure him that you havent been having an affair and that you understand, value and respect the commitment you made when you said, "i DO".

Tell him that you love him and only him. Also, ask him what he would like you to do to make things better?

Hope this helps :) x
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As a trainer, I've had to have these talks a time or two.
  • Mutant13
    Options
    Obviously he feels threatened by your trainer, I would suggest getting a female trainer and get him involved as well as work on communication, counselling would also work.

I considered this, but I feel like it would be catering to his insecurities, not to mention giving up a good trainer and friend