Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    klm62505 wrote: »
    Just joined - keep losing the same three pounds - don't they know there's 25 other ones that need to be lost as well? I'm one of those people who never had a weight problem (I am 5ft 8 in tall and weighed 125 until about three years ago, blessed with a super metabolism) until I quit smoking and began the dreaded menopause. NOW I know what my mother complained about! I slip and backslide but have a fitbit zip and try to walk 10,000 steps a day (approximately 5 miles, which can be difficult with a desk job) and log my food. Sometimes I go over and gain, sometimes I lose. The losing is finally becoming more common than the gaining (even though it's the same three pounds!) since I'm slowly realizing I can't eat like I used to without weight gain! I miss that wonderful metabolism of my youth! I'm learning, it's a long, slow process but I will get this! You know, until someone puts out the chips and dip and I eat it all. :blush:

Welcome. And I know exactly what you mean about the chips and dip. It's so hard not to make it a meal. I try and keep "skinny" pop corn with me ALL the time.
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    “We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.”
    ― C. S. Lewis
  • bernloses2013
    bernloses2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Glad to find this group. I've been using MFP for a few months, and have been losing roughly .5 pounds/week. Slow and steady. I am looking for support from others 'of a certain age' to help motivate me to keep at it, and to add an exercise component to my life. I'd like to join this group. Am I part of this group once I request joining? Or do I have to click on something else???
    Have a good rest of the weekend all.
    B.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Hi all,
    Glad to find this group. I've been using MFP for a few months, and have been losing roughly .5 pounds/week. Slow and steady. I am looking for support from others 'of a certain age' to help motivate me to keep at it, and to add an exercise component to my life. I'd like to join this group. Am I part of this group once I request joining? Or do I have to click on something else???
    B.

Slow and steady is the best way. :) welcome !
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    B.

Hello Bernloses2013 and welcome!

To join the group you could go to the following page and click Join.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/104713-fifty-plus-or-so-support-group

I have also sent you an invitation. :)
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    klm62505 wrote: »
    Just joined - keep losing the same three pounds - don't they know there's 25 other ones that need to be lost as well? I'm one of those people who never had a weight problem (I am 5ft 8 in tall and weighed 125 until about three years ago, blessed with a super metabolism) until I quit smoking and began the dreaded menopause. NOW I know what my mother complained about! I slip and backslide but have a fitbit zip and try to walk 10,000 steps a day (approximately 5 miles, which can be difficult with a desk job) and log my food. Sometimes I go over and gain, sometimes I lose. The losing is finally becoming more common than the gaining (even though it's the same three pounds!) since I'm slowly realizing I can't eat like I used to without weight gain! I miss that wonderful metabolism of my youth! I'm learning, it's a long, slow process but I will get this! You know, until someone puts out the chips and dip and I eat it all. :blush:

What? Are you my twin? LOL! Welcome! This is a great motivational place! You're doing great! It is a lot harder to lose now, but we CAN do it!
  • SuzyH
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    “We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.”
    ― C. S. Lewis

I wish MFP had a "like" button! Awesome quote!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    SuzyH wrote: »
    PegJens wrote: »
    ― C. S. Lewis

I wish MFP had a "like" button! Awesome quote!

Like!!!
  • groovigyrl
    groovigyrl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I joined this site in Aug. and fell off the wagon. Now I'm back! I'm 51, turning 52 in May. It's so much more difficult to shed the pounds now that I'm older. Funny thing is, I don't feel my age mentally, but my body tells me otherwise. Ugh. I need to lose 15 lbs. as a realistic goal, then maybe an additional 5 after that to be where I'd LOVE to be. You seem like a nice group.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    58 this summer. Never overweight, and am not now by any conventional measure, but have been close to a historically high weight for me for months and my body fat percentage is the highest it's ever been. The weight is depositing in new areas, changing my shape and making it difficult to fit into my old clothes. What's more I have injuries, so I can't exercise flat out.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    quinnycat wrote: »
    Hello,

I joined this site in Aug. and fell off the wagon. Now I'm back! I'm 51, turning 52 in May. It's so much more difficult to shed the pounds now that I'm older. Funny thing is, I don't feel my age mentally, but my body tells me otherwise. Ugh. I need to lose 15 lbs. as a realistic goal, then maybe an additional 5 after that to be where I'd LOVE to be. You seem like a nice group.

Welcome to the group. I know why you mean, I can't believe I'm 56. I remember when my mom turned 36 and I thought she was so old. Lol
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    58 this summer. Never overweight, and am not now by any conventional measure, but have been close to a historically high weight for me for months and my body fat percentage is the highest it's ever been. The weight is depositing in new areas, changing my shape and making it difficult to fit into my old clothes. What's more I have injuries, so I can't exercise flat out.

Welcome!!
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I know why you mean, I can't believe I'm 56. I remember when my mom turned 36 and I thought she was so old. Lol
    Age is just a number. Please remember my favorite quote regarding age:
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood! I've been enjoying mine for 69 years now.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »
    I know why you mean, I can't believe I'm 56. I remember when my mom turned 36 and I thought she was so old. Lol
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood! I've been enjoying mine for 69 years now.

:smiley: I had a wonderful childhood and I am now enjoying my second childhood. I'm so excited to try things I've not wanted to do because of my weight.
    Parasailing, zip-lining, tubing, riding horses again, etc.....
  • SuzyH
    Options
    You are so right! I'm having more fun now than ever before! :smile:
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Love your quote Mick, it is so true.

:smiley: I had a wonderful childhood and I am now enjoying my second childhood. I'm so excited to try things I've not wanted to do because of my weight.
    Parasailing, zip-lining, tubing, riding horses again, etc.....

Your adventurous spirit is motivational. :) (MFP needs a thumbs up icon)

• sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This round going well....not easy but working. Have lost 13 lbs since got serious.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options

Awesome, and so true!! My childhood was very happy, and I'm determined that I will continue to be positive and "not act my age" as I go along! :wink:
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Got my 4 mile run in! I did it outside this time wow was that different! Specially when I was running against the wind lol!
  • Brusselsmama
    Brusselsmama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and would like to join.