Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This round going well....not easy but working. Have lost 13 lbs since got serious.
    13 pounds is wonderful, keep up the good work.

mommylern5 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Got my 4 mile run in! I did it outside this time wow was that different! Specially when I was running against the wind lol!
    You going to need a new pair of new running shoes soon, good job! When it's windy, it does make a difference, although it never seems like the wind can be at my back pushing me forward. :)

I'm 52 and would like to join.
    Welcome to the group! I will send you an invitation.

• mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This round going well....not easy but working. Have lost 13 lbs since got serious.
    13 pounds is wonderful, keep up the good work.

Hey everyone! Got my 4 mile run in! I did it outside this time wow was that different! Specially when I was running against the wind lol!
    You going to need a new pair of new running shoes soon, good job! When it's windy, it does make a difference, although it never seems like the wind can be at my back pushing me forward. :)

I'm 52 and would like to join.
    Welcome to the group! I will send you an invitation.

I actually just got a new pair of running shoes Happytrails! Haven't started breaking them in yet lol. It seemed harder running outside especially going against the wind but my time was still the same 10.5 min. Per mile and it was a lot less boring! Trying to get ready for a 5k in June. Hoping to get faster :)
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

If it were easy, none of us would need MFP and the support we find here. Congrats on the 13 lost so far. More will come off in due time. The only thing you need to do is stay committed. That is a personal choice that nobody else can make you discard. Good luck on your journey.
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    I actually just got a new pair of running shoes Happytrails! Haven't started breaking them in yet lol. It seemed harder running outside especially going against the wind but my time was still the same 10.5 min. Per mile and it was a lot less boring! Trying to get ready for a 5k in June. Hoping to get faster :)

My son and his girlfriend run marathons, we went to cheer them on one time. I loved the environment and really admired the runners.

• butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Sandcastle where are you ???!!!!
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

My son and his girlfriend run marathons, we went to cheer them on one time. I loved the environment and really admired the runners.

That is very cool! I don't know if I'll ever do a marathon, but maybe one day soon a 10k will be on the agenda LOL! I bet that was fun! My daughter was in cross country about a year ago and I always went to her meets. They were a lot of fun! I miss going to them. Sorry it took a while to respond to this. I usually just log in on my phone, but it's a pain to read and then write back, cuz you have to do it on that tiny key pad. So I just decided to do it on my computer instead. Today was a lazy day, just did a light toning workout, and some ab work. Tomorrows supposed to be a rest day on my Nike app, but I probably will do some turbo fire or something LOL. Oh yeah it's harder to run into the wind. I thought I was gonna die on the last half mile because it was all into the wind. Kinda like the song LOL
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Hi Butbygrace :) Whatcha been up to? It's been a crazy few days for me...... and look what happens in my absence <3 It's terrific to see all the happy new "losers" join us on our journey!!! We have runners and brussels and mommy and Happy Trail7 and a sun goddess and beach lover.... I can't keep up!

I finally recovered from my sodium blast at dinner a week ago Saturday! I'm never doing that again!! I blew up like a puffer fish and gained 6 lbs when I woke up the next morning. It took nearly a week to get all the weight back off :s Meanwhile at this week's weigh-in I'm only down one little pound in the past two weeks........ Looks like I've joined the half pound a week club now. So for the next month I am going to make a diligent effort to get in 2500 exercise calories in addition to my regular daily activities and see if I can't kick it back up to one pound a week. I'm still 1.5 lbs away from hitting the "normal" BMI category, but last week my doctor was super pleased with my 20 lbs to date and the swimming/walking I've been doing. I'm actually going to log it this month so I can make sure I hit that mark. Did you know, with my short stride (2514 steps/mile), if I continue hitting at least 8500 steps (3.36 miles) daily for the month of April that will be around 100 MILES!!! Isn't that crazy!! I never broke it down that way before :)

Meanwhile, two weeks ago my sweet fella was so encouraged by my 20 pound loss he decided to hit the weight loss wagon too <3 So, he bought himself a digital scale and set his sights on losing 25 pounds. The next day he wanted to go grocery shopping with me so I could help him make better choices. Well, he filled his cart with all his regular goodies and then decided to substitute baked chips for regular to have with his dip every night.... and instead of the pitcher of regular juice he has every day he decided to go with Crystal Light. The first week he lost 5 lbs, and as of last night he's down 9.5!!!! Can you believe that :s Bless his heart, he just can't figure out why I'm having such a hard time with it. hahahaha I officially hate him >:)

House reno got completely derailed by the roofing issues caused by the wind storm and absence of any available roofers for two months, so we've been plugging away at it ourselves (heavy sigh). I have a cushie desk job for a reason!! Oh well, I'll get it done one way or another and get that monolith on the market if it kills me! Well, I suppose so long as I don't fall off the darn thing .......

Looks like I have a lot of reading and catching up to do before we head off for swimming tonight <3

Keep posting everyone!!! This is such a great group of people <3

Tami
  • butbygrace206
    Options

Hi Butbygrace :) Whatcha been up to? It's been a crazy few days for me...... and look what happens in my absence <3 It's terrific to see all the happy new "losers" join us on our journey!!! We have runners and brussels and mommy and Happy Trail7 and a sun goddess and beach lover.... I can't keep up!

I finally recovered from my sodium blast at dinner a week ago Saturday! I'm never doing that again!! I blew up like a puffer fish and gained 6 lbs when I woke up the next morning. It took nearly a week to get all the weight back off :s Meanwhile at this week's weigh-in I'm only down one little pound in the past two weeks........ Looks like I've joined the half pound a week club now. So for the next month I am going to make a diligent effort to get in 2500 exercise calories in addition to my regular daily activities and see if I can't kick it back up to one pound a week. I'm still 1.5 lbs away from hitting the "normal" BMI category, but last week my doctor was super pleased with my 20 lbs to date and the swimming/walking I've been doing. I'm actually going to log it this month so I can make sure I hit that mark. Did you know, with my short stride (2514 steps/mile), if I continue hitting at least 8500 steps (3.36 miles) daily for the month of April that will be around 100 MILES!!! Isn't that crazy!! I never broke it down that way before :)

Meanwhile, two weeks ago my sweet fella was so encouraged by my 20 pound loss he decided to hit the weight loss wagon too <3 So, he bought himself a digital scale and set his sights on losing 25 pounds. The next day he wanted to go grocery shopping with me so I could help him make better choices. Well, he filled his cart with all his regular goodies and then decided to substitute baked chips for regular to have with his dip every night.... and instead of the pitcher of regular juice he has every day he decided to go with Crystal Light. The first week he lost 5 lbs, and as of last night he's down 9.5!!!! Can you believe that :s Bless his heart, he just can't figure out why I'm having such a hard time with it. hahahaha I officially hate him >:)

House reno got completely derailed by the roofing issues caused by the wind storm and absence of any available roofers for two months, so we've been plugging away at it ourselves (heavy sigh). I have a cushie desk job for a reason!! Oh well, I'll get it done one way or another and get that monolith on the market if it kills me! Well, I suppose so long as I don't fall off the darn thing .......

Looks like I have a lot of reading and catching up to do before we head off for swimming tonight <3

Keep posting everyone!!! This is such a great group of people <3

Tami

Yay! There you are! We've missed you!

That is crazy how sodium does that. I'm over on sodium nearly every day. I will get that in check soon, I hope. But at least you got it all back off plus a little more.

And don't you just hate men! We work our tails off and eat veggies, and lose .5 pounds. Men, eat baked chips instead of regular ones. Eat 3 pieces of pizza instead of half a pizza and lose 5 pounds. Ugh!!

Hope you get the house on the market soon. Glad to hear from you.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    ... And don't you just hate men! We work our tails off and eat veggies, and lose .5 pounds. Men, eat baked chips instead of regular ones. Eat 3 pieces of pizza instead of half a pizza and lose 5 pounds. Ugh!! ...
    More like 30lbs, baby! then we need to make a more serious commitment, like stopping the binge-eating of Circus-Peanuts and Cupcake-frosting :tongue:

While it may seem unfair, curves are definitely better on the ladies. ( y'all are rockin' this by the way -- lots of good successes and, more importantly, personal learning! )

• butbygrace206
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'm sure it is more like 30 pounds! You men kill me!! I'm thinking you can still eat circus peanuts ( yuck, btw ) and cupcake icing ( not yuck, btw :smiley: ) and still drop a few pounds.

And I do agree this is an awesome group that keeps me motivated and entertained :)
  • jk051861
    jk051861 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    LABike wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm a 55 year old empty nester with 50 plus pounds to lose. I am working toward consistency in my diet and fitness behaviors. I have struggled with an all or nothing mentality that has left me on a fitness high or depressed and feeling guilty that I can't get it together. I would appreciate any support this group is willing to provide.

• jk051861
    jk051861 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I get really depressed when I eat too much, though at the time I enjoy it. The exercise high is great. I tend to get a little obsessive and get depressed if I don't meet my goals.
  • carolinih
    carolinih Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 49. Is that close enough? I have 40 lbs to go to get to my goal of 130. I never thought I would have that much weight to lose. I started March 10, only have lost 5 lbs so far but trying to do it the sensible way. I'm working hard and starving here! I have a 7 year old daughter and I need to get healthy so I can be a better mom.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! Last night I did my first pool workout for the zero to 1650 challenge. Was kind of nervous going into it but ended up having little trouble and swimming some extra 50s after the last set. Three weeks ago I struggled to get to the end of the pool. I was, as the kids say, psyched.
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    carolinih wrote: »
    Hi. I'm 49. Is that close enough? I have 40 lbs to go to get to my goal of 130. I never thought I would have that much weight to lose. I started March 10, only have lost 5 lbs so far but trying to do it the sensible way. I'm working hard and starving here! I have a 7 year old daughter and I need to get healthy so I can be a better mom.

Welcome to the group! I firmly believe that slow weight loss is better for your body and agree that it is more sensible.
  • HappyTrails7
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    Good morning, everyone! Last night I did my first pool workout for the zero to 1650 challenge. Was kind of nervous going into it but ended up having little trouble and swimming some extra 50s after the last set. Three weeks ago I struggled to get to the end of the pool. I was, as the kids say, psyched.

What is the zero to 1650 challenge?
    Edit: Nevermind, I just saw the link in your post.

Sounds like a great challenge, keep up the good work.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    jk051861 wrote: »
    LABike wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm a 55 year old empty nester with 50 plus pounds to lose. I am working toward consistency in my diet and fitness behaviors. I have struggled with an all or nothing mentality that has left me on a fitness high or depressed and feeling guilty that I can't get it together. I would appreciate any support this group is willing to provide.

Welcome to the group. There are lots of supportative people here. I do agree that it's hard to get started and stay motivated, however, once you get into it
    It gets so much better.
    Keep on these boards and log everything ! :)
  • butbygrace206
    Options

Awww. Don't starve. There are lots of low calorie snacks out there. My new fav is almond milk.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »

That's awesome !! Congrats!!
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    49? Close enough for certain. Please don't starve yourself or you will hate this journey. I have found that my daily calorie consumption varies quite a bit (1200 - 2300). When it goes up I try to do enough cardio to burn off the extra calories. On days like today where I ate less than 1350 calories I still do some cardio. In fact, today I burned a bit over 1000 calories for no reason other than I was watching a good TV show and just kept on pedaling. My sensible snack of choice is white seedless grape. 10 ounces is very filling and only has about 140 calories. And the little devils are good for us. There's no down side to them.

BTW, I'm betting you are already a very good mother to your daughter; but, having her as an inspiration on this trip should make it a more enjoyable trip.