Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm 55 soon to be 56 on May 3. I've been on MFP about a month and a few days. So far, I've lost 13 lbs. I have about 50 more to go. I'm so excited to finally taking my health seriously. I'm diabetic and just with this weight loss, my MD took me off insulin!! I'm psyched. I love the support here and all the suggestions and pictures give me so much motivation. I'm looking forward to giving support to others and making friends here.

Glad to hear you are off the insulin! That is great! Keep up the good work
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Made my first goal of ten laps at the pool without stopping yesterday. That was after a full workout for the zero to mile swim plan. Then today I took the remaining kid to the in-laws (wife was at work) to have the full-press British Easter meal, consisting of roast lamb and a bunch of overdone veggies. The win there was not having the cheese sauce that makes the overdone veggies delicious. That win completely negated by wine and spirits. And completely worth it. Hope everyone had a great holiday.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Okay, the weekend's challenges are over! Actually, our meals were really "good for you" foods, but didn't do so well with portion control. My stomach has been kind of touchy since our Easter celebration, so something weird is going on.

Nuffer, nice going on the swimming! After I got back into the pool, I couldn't believe how tired my shoulder muscles got after such a small amount of time! You are doing an amazing job!

It's finally nice here! After the gym this morning I went home and rode my bike to work. Love, love, love doing that! It's going to be a really crazy busy work week and I'm just trying to concentrate on one thing at a time (and keep breathing)!

DH is out of town again, so I am going to have to do my nails again this evening!

Enjoy the day, stay strong, and keep on keepin on! :smile:
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Great job on the swimming, Nuffer. Is your pool cold? I thought I would give it a try, at the YMCA, and the lap pool was so cold I ached. So I just went back to the warm senior pool and doggy paddled around. Much better.

Suzy, we actually has healthy foods too ( except desserts ). I did well. :).
    Remember when you do your nails, get the "toe nail" exercises in also :wink:
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Not sure of the exact temp, but I know it's colder than the summer season by a couple of degrees. It's an outdoor pool and only open for team practices and lap swim, so it's a little colder on purpose. Not painfully so, but it definitely feels on the cool side when you first get in. They will crank up the heat when the summer season starts next month.

One time in college I ... uh ... fell asleep at a party and woke up with painted toenails.
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Glad the nails turned out! ... how did yours turn out? :wink:

Heck, I did my toenails & logged the aerobic attempts as "touching toes previously concealed by fat" :lol:

Don ? Did'ja?
    Sorry for the silence; but, we spent Friday, the 3rd, turning an 8 hour drive into a 12 hour drive as traffic and rain were both horrible. We drove 520 miles with 519 on the interstates with speed limits the entire way of 70 mph. We were stopped dead a shade over 30 minutes. For the remaining 11 1/2 hours we averaged 49 mph. Saturday was much better. We made the remaining 4 hours of the trip in 4 hours. We arrived in the Columbia, SC area, did a few hours of house hunting, and then went to our rental home (3 days rental). On Sunday, we (my wife, my brother, and friend, and I, spent the afternoon on a golf course and today we spent the day at the Monday practice round at the Masters Golf Tournament in Augusta, GA.

I've been reasonably good with what I've eaten except for Sunday. We went out for lunch and dinner at restaurants with nothing on the menus under about 1,000 calories. But, other than that, it hasn't been as bad as I had anticipated. I have logged everything eaten as well as exercise (a round of golf and walking). While we were on our feet at the tournament for over 6 hours today, I only logged it as 3 hours of "walking a dog." The course is like walking up and down small mountains as it has terrific elevation changes. We did do some standing as we watched golfers; but, I think we probably did walk at least 4 hours. Anyway, I figure a reasonable estimate is better than not entering anything. When I weigh myself Wednesday morning I will be thrilled if I've gained no more than 2 pounds. I'll check back in then.

Oh, to answer the question...NO, I ain't puttin' on no stinking nail polish. LOL!!!
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »
    ...Oh, to answer the question...NO, I ain't puttin' on no stinking nail polish. LOL!!!

But studies have shown that nail polish can improve your golf game, something about less wind resistance. :)

Just joking, glad to hear you had a good trip and welcome back.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Oh, to answer the question...NO, I ain't puttin' on no stinking nail polish. LOL!!!

Ha ha. Okay. Okay. Okay. But if you get the munchies at night, you know what to do :)
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    y'know, I do the nail polish thing just for the fumes :dizzy: -- I've been scarce, but I'm still keeping an eye on things here. Sounds like everyone is moving in good directions, which kinda covers for my less-than-spectacular check-in last week.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    In my wildest dreams I never thought that my nail polish experiences would generate such comments! :blush: If I ever meet you and my nails are super glossy, you'll know why! LOL!

Due to my work schedule, day and night today and tomorrow, I'm not setting my alarm and will sleep as needed (no morning workouts today or Wednesday). I am able to ride to work on my bike (see HappyTrails7, and it's finally getting nicer outside!). I've been really tired of late and the worst thing to happen is to fall asleep at a meeting you are hired to be at (no matter how exciting [or not] it may be)! Even with the crazy work schedule, I'm pretty calm right now. Hope I can stay that way. I've been thinking about, but not acting, on my craving for Diet Pepsi this morning. I'm not going to do it, but that is my "go to" drug, so maybe I am stressed. I've been off of the stuff for about 2-3 years and recently had a "taste". Don't ever do that.

Thanks for letting me verbalize! Have a great day and enjoy it no matter what!
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    SuzyH wrote: »
    In my wildest dreams I never thought that my nail polish experiences would generate such comments! :blush: If I ever meet you and my nails are super glossy, you'll know why! LOL!

Due to my work schedule, day and night today and tomorrow, I'm not setting my alarm and will sleep as needed (no morning workouts today or Wednesday). I am able to ride to work on my bike (see HappyTrails7, and it's finally getting nicer outside!). I've been really tired of late and the worst thing to happen is to fall asleep at a meeting you are hired to be at (no matter how exciting [or not] it may be)! Even with the crazy work schedule, I'm pretty calm right now. Hope I can stay that way. I've been thinking about, but not acting, on my craving for Diet Pepsi this morning. I'm not going to do it, but that is my "go to" drug, so maybe I am stressed. I've been off of the stuff for about 2-3 years and recently had a "taste". Don't ever do that.

Thanks for letting me verbalize! Have a great day and enjoy it no matter what!

Hi Suzy, sounds like you have a couple long days ahead, our thoughts are with you. It is a good sign that you are calm, go into that meeting with confidence. You know they hired the best person for the job and that person is you.

I can relate to the cola addiction, I've been off the stuff for almost a year and still get the occasional craving. I figure that should tell me something about what's contained within the product.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    @SuzyH & @HappyTrails7 You both Are better about the cola than I am. I'm working back from Diet Pepsi intake well over 200oz per day and have myself down to below 50oz most days -- Just crazy; I'll get there with you two leading the way. :s

• Fozzyspotts
    Fozzyspotts Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So, the only good thing, I am not gaining weight. Can't seem to lose any this last two weeks.
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So the kids are on spring break this week and my routine went out the window
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I keep getting cut off. Any way, Focusing on weighing and tracking my food in MFP. Going to polish my nails now! Stay focused-we got this!!!

Maryanne

• HappyTrails7
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @SuzyH & @HappyTrails7 You both Are better about the cola than I am. I'm working back from Diet Pepsi intake well over 200oz per day and have myself down to below 50oz most days -- Just crazy; I'll get there with you two leading the way. :s

Standenvernet, you're 3/4 there, you can do it.

One thing that helped me was a challenge from my son. If anyone is interested here's a link to that post.

A Son's Motivation

Fifty plus (or so) support group - Click here to join
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    italy10548 wrote: »
    I keep getting cut off. Any way, Focusing on weighing and tracking my food in MFP. Going to polish my nails now! Stay focused-we got this!!!

Maryanne

Yep, doing mine tonight. Toes too! Bend and stretch. :).
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    So, the only good thing, I am not gaining weight. Can't seem to lose any this last two weeks.

You got this. Maybe just tighten up a tiny bit on intake. Or drink extra water. :)
  • butbygrace206
    Options

Mine is diet mt dew. I was at 2 liters a day. Down to one or so a week. I keep it in the shed we keep all the lawn tools so I won't get one easily. But sometimes I crave one so badly that I go the extra "mile" to get one. So I definitely understand the craving :-)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    y'know, I do the nail polish thing just for the fumes :dizzy: -- I've been scarce, but I'm still keeping an eye on things here. Sounds like everyone is moving in good directions, which kinda covers for my less-than-spectacular check-in last week.

Fumes are bad for you. Do it just for the exercise. :)
    Just get back at it and have a great check in this week :)