Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Welcome Linda and bclegg!! This is a great group of people. Very motivated and supportative.
  • zottymim
    zottymim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 52 and am just starting with MFP. I've had 4 back surgeries, the most recent was May 2014. I'm now fused from T6 (middle of shoulder blades)-S1 ( top of butt crack), as well as 1 neck fusion. So as you can imagine I have very limited range of motion. I've regained the weight I lost in 2013 when my doctor let me have Phentermine. It was a short term, one time medication that I had no problems with but she is adamant that I'm not getting it again. Now, 11 months after a 7 level fusion, I'm at least 25lbs overweight. I've joined the YMCA Silver Sneakers program but haven't been diligent about going. I like going alone so I can move at my own pace while listening to my music. I guess I'm just looking for a little motivation and support because this isn't easy. It's also a bit tiresome measuring every little bite that I take. Any advice??
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    zottymim wrote: »
    I guess I'm just looking for a little motivation and support because this isn't easy. It's also a bit tiresome measuring every little bite that I take. Any advice??
    First off, welcome to the group. As you know, if it were easy we wouldn't need help and support along the way. You've come to the right place for those things. You are correct about it being a bit tiresome measuring everything you eat. However, from my experience if you will be diligent in doing so, one day you will realize measuring that 1/2 cup of applesauce (or whatever the food is) is as second nature as slicing that piece of meat off the roast. I have a small postal scale setting in a kitchen drawer that I set on the counter to weigh what needs weighing. To me, it is now just a part of my food/meal prep.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »
    zottymim wrote: »
    I guess I'm just looking for a little motivation and support because this isn't easy. It's also a bit tiresome measuring every little bite that I take. Any advice??
    First off, welcome to the group. As you know, if it were easy we wouldn't need help and support along the way. You've come to the right place for those things. You are correct about it being a bit tiresome measuring everything you eat. However, from my experience if you will be diligent in doing so, one day you will realize measuring that 1/2 cup of applesauce (or whatever the food is) is as second nature as slicing that piece of meat off the roast. I have a small postal scale setting in a kitchen drawer that I set on the counter to weigh what needs weighing. To me, it is now just a part of my food/meal prep.

I agree with Don. When you first begin it seems overwhelming. However, once you've become diligent in weighing and logging, it get easier. I've only been at it 2 1/2 months and I'm finally getting the hang of it. But it didn't come without the hassle of meticulous weighing and logging each bite.
    Hang in there. It gets easier :)
  • robw235
    robw235 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    About to hit 60 next month. Started with the app at the beginning of January and have thus far lost about 27 lbs. Have about six more to go reach my goal weight. My wife thinks I'm obsessed with this app, but I can't argue with the success I've had. Would be happy to join the group.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Welcome Rob! I love this app!!! :)
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    robw235 wrote: »
    About to hit 60 next month. Started with the app at the beginning of January and have thus far lost about 27 lbs. Have about six more to go reach my goal weight. My wife thinks I'm obsessed with this app, but I can't argue with the success I've had. Would be happy to join the group.

Good job on your weight loss and welcome!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    How is everyone doing? It's been quiet for a couple days. Loving the warmer weather here in southwest Ohio :)
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am doing pretty good, how have you been?

I found a new home for my treadmill today. I gave it to my brother-in-law. That thing was heavy!
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    robw235 wrote: »

Love the app too Rob..... Down 22 since January, 8 pounds or so to go :) I'm a shorty, so for all the times I blamed being a scootch under5' for the10 pound per decade weight gain I accepted as my norm... Shame on me! But I am nearly at goal and my focus is on the end result rather than beating myself up for past indiscretions <3

All my best fellow "losers" Tami
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing? It's been quiet for a couple days. Loving the warmer weather here in southwest Ohio :)

I've been busy not eating as much as I used to :smile:
    Ramped up the swimming a notch on Saturday, yesterday was a rest day and I don't think I went outside once!

Tomorrow I'm headed to a conference and will have to figure out how to stay on track with food and do laps in the hotel pool. The group is a drinking club that masquerades as a professional organization. Combined with a driving trip after that, won't be back home until next Sunday. I'm already missing my home cooked food...

Tuesday is our 25th wedding anniversary -- the Lady Nuff will be joining me for a couple of days at the conference.

• beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »

I've been busy not eating as much as I used to :smile:
    Ramped up the swimming a notch on Saturday, yesterday was a rest day and I don't think I went outside once!

Tomorrow I'm headed to a conference and will have to figure out how to stay on track with food and do laps in the hotel pool. The group is a drinking club that masquerades as a professional organization. Combined with a driving trip after that, won't be back home until next Sunday. I'm already missing my home cooked food...

Tuesday is our 25th wedding anniversary -- the Lady Nuff will be joining me for a couple of days at the conference.

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife!!
  • HappyTrails7
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Happy anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Nuffer, enjoy yourselves!

MFP - Fifty plus (or so) Support Group
  • ep4234
    ep4234 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to mfp, my son recommended, when I asked him how can I track my 1200 calorie food intake...I like the site; I like reading the positive posts here on this 50+ since I'm in the same boat and have to loose at least 30 lbs. due to my overweight and issues with hbp & diabetes...good luck to all including myself.
  • Mick1127
    Options

Doing well. We've returned from our short trip south and the sun is now out and the temps are in the 60s. That means golf!!!! Played a round on Saturday, spent Sunday watching the Masters after which I mowed the yard, and will be playing another 18 holes tomorrow. There is nothing quite like the beginning of golf season to make me a happy camper.
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »

Doing well. We've returned from our short trip south and the sun is now out and the temps are in the 60s. That means golf!!!! Played a round on Saturday, spent Sunday watching the Masters after which I mowed the yard, and will be playing another 18 holes tomorrow. There is nothing quite like the beginning of golf season to make me a happy camper.

I agree Mick, Golf is good for the soul. How many different course do you get to play during the summer?
  • Mick1127
    Options

I agree Mick, Golf is good for the soul. How many different course do you get to play during the summer?
    Not many. My golf partner and I buy season passes to the D.A. Weibring Golf Course at Illinois State University. I played 1 round while we were in SC last week and I will play 2 of the courses at Innisbrook in Tarpon Springs, FL in June (not the Copperhead Course where the tour plays) and maybe 2 other courses during the year. The cost for a season's pass for green fees at ISU is only $800.00 and I expect to play at least 40 rounds there so the cost is very reasonable. A cart is another $15.00/round. There is no way I could walk the course as I have severe neuropathy in my feet and walking that much is just out of the question if I want to enjoy my day. Anyway, the correct answer to your question is 4 to 6 different courses. :)
  • PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Success isn't overnight. It's when everyday you get a little better than the day before!
  • cranor130
    cranor130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    Success isn't overnight. It's when everyday you get a little better than the day before! [/quote

I love this!!! Thank you for sharing PegJens!
  • cranor130
    cranor130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ep4234 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm new to mfp, my son recommended, when I asked him how can I track my 1200 calorie food intake...I like the site; I like reading the positive posts here on this 50+ since I'm in the same boat and have to loose at least 30 lbs. due to my overweight and issues with hbp & diabetes...good luck to all including myself.

Welcome ep4234! You are in a great community here!