Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• debsanland
    debsanland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi - 41 pounds is amazing! You should be so proud of yourself. Just think about what motivated you to start losing weight. Reaching out for support and motivation shows you are on the right track to get going again. Don't beat yourself up for slipping back into old habits every now and then. Just believe you can get back on track and you can do it!
  • pchenley
    pchenley Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have worked as a cosmetology instructor and am currently working as a part time dog groomer. I really don't care at this point what work I get, I just want a little something to get me out of the house! Yes, I am proud of the 41 lb loss, but I do still have a lot to go. Hoping to get back on track and get the pounds coming off again.
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    pchenley wrote: »
    I have worked as a cosmetology instructor and am currently working as a part time dog groomer. I really don't care at this point what work I get, I just want a little something to get me out of the house! Yes, I am proud of the 41 lb loss, but I do still have a lot to go. Hoping to get back on track and get the pounds coming off again.

You have come to the right place for support. This is a great group of people. Hopefully something does open up for you soon in the job market.
    A while back, when I was in between jobs, I found a place to volunteer. This lead to a full time job at the same place. So maybe search for a place to do some volunteer work. At least, it will get you out of the house and congrats on the 41 pounds :)
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Great job on the 41 pound loss. Keep up the focus and you will achieve your goal.

What do I hope to achieve in May?
    1. Continue losing no matter how much or how little. If I can lose 1 pound/week that will have me closer to my goal than I am today.
    2. Play a LOT of golf. No matter how much golf one gets in their life, it is never enough.
    3. Completing about 4 projects in our back yard:
    A) building a fire pit (nothing elaborate - just retaining stones piled up in a circle),
    B) laying more pea gravel along a fence border,
    C) sowing some grass seed and actually getting it to fill in the bare spots created by our dogs and winter,
    D) replacing a stair railing by the back door

I see the first 3 getting done; but, I know me and the last item may wait a while. It's not high on my priority list.
  • retiree10
    retiree10 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone. For me, weight loss is slow, but as long as I do not gain, I feel as if if am ahead of the game. I welcome any new friends and all the motivation and support if can get. I want to lose at least 5-7 pounds before the end of May. I currently count steps for my daily exercise and usually do between 8,000 and 10,000 steps.
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    retiree10 wrote: »
    Hello to everyone. For me, weight loss is slow, but as long as I do not gain, I feel as if if am ahead of the game. I welcome any new friends and all the motivation and support if can get. I want to lose at least 5-7 pounds before the end of May. I currently count steps for my daily exercise and usually do between 8,000 and 10,000 steps.

I'm hoping for at least 10 by the end of May. We can do it together. :)
    I don't get many steps in but I do try and get exercise in twice a week at the gym.
    I do clean horse stalls each day, so I guess that counts. Lol
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »
    Great job on the 41 pound loss. Keep up the focus and you will achieve your goal.

What do I hope to achieve in May?
    1. Continue losing no matter how much or how little. If I can lose 1 pound/week that will have me closer to my goal than I am today.
    2. Play a LOT of golf. No matter how much golf one gets in their life, it is never enough.
    3. Completing about 4 projects in our back yard:
    A) building a fire pit (nothing elaborate - just retaining stones piled up in a circle),
    B) laying more pea gravel along a fence border,
    C) sowing some grass seed and actually getting it to fill in the bare spots created by our dogs and winter,
    D) replacing a stair railing by the back door

I see the first 3 getting done; but, I know me and the last item may wait a while. It's not high on my priority list.

Awesome goals.

Btw, I play a mean golf game on the wii :)
  • Mick1127
    Options

Never tried that. Maybe I'd score better!!!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »

Never tried that. Maybe I'd score better!!!

My best through 9 holes, 7 under :)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Goals for May?

- Run at least 160km
    - Adhere a little more closely to my half marathon training plan
    - Finish the trim work in the house! OK, that's my wife's goal for me, but not a bad one to knock off. :smile:
    - Stick with the calorie counting; I only started doing this last week, but have been working away at fitness and weight loss since last fall. So far am finding it easy to integrate into my life.

88183800.png
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My goals for May:

Walk 3miles, all at the same time,
    3 times a week ( this will not include normal errands, grocery shopping, kids activities etc)
    Classical stretch video 4 mornings a week
    Get to the Pool at noon on Tuesdays for a swim 1time each week

When I write it down like this I can plan it into my week easier and not let something else seem more important then taking care of me.....moment of truth peeps
  • cactusrosenaz
    cactusrosenaz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am so frustrated. I do well for awhile, then fall off the wagon. I do need to lose 60#. I love to read up on different healthy diets and have gotten confused with all the talk of gluten free, paleo, 400 calorie, etc. I think it better to just stick to my quota of calories for the day and just make them as healthy as possible. I'm hoping to find some friends who will help me be held accountable. Hoping all are doing their very best!! :smile:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Cactus...
    I think it better to just stick to my quota of calories for the day and just make them as healthy as possible.

Sounds like a great plan!

Even better, that approach is sustainable over the long run unlike the fad approaches out there.

• butbygrace206
    Options
    Hi, I am so frustrated. I do well for awhile, then fall off the wagon. I do need to lose 60#. I love to read up on different healthy diets and have gotten confused with all the talk of gluten free, paleo, 400 calorie, etc. I think it better to just stick to my quota of calories for the day and just make them as healthy as possible. I'm hoping to find some friends who will help me be held accountable. Hoping all are doing their very best!! :smile:

Exactly!! Everyone finds something that works for them. I, too, just stick to staying under calorie and eat as healthy as possible. I found trying new things every week keeps it from getting boring. And since it is a lifestyle change then, I think, this will work for me.
  • Cinfybell
    Cinfybell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 52 (53 in in August), may I join this group?
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Cinfybell wrote: »
    I am 52 (53 in in August), may I join this group?

Welcome!!! Post away :) This is an awesome group of "youngsters"
  • bkougias
    bkougias Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    55 and want to join. Need to loose about 100 pounds. Have lost 30 pounds in the last month and a half. Using jawbone to track activity. And myfitnesspal for food. Trying to take this in 10 pound increments instead of looking at the big number / too overwhelming. Have been successful so far by looking at ten pounds at a time.
  • mytwodarlings
    mytwodarlings Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Would love to join. I am 55 with 50-55 pounds to lose.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    MFP - Fifty plus (or so) Support Group

Just re-posting the link to the group!

Welcome everyone, head over to the group for more support.

• Mick1127
    Options
    I think it better to just stick to my quota of calories for the day and just make them as healthy as possible.
    Welcome, Rose. That's exactly what I do. I eat those things that I like and try to stay under my calorie limit. I've been at this for 4 months and have lost 32 pounds. What has become habit, and I hope it remains habit, is to open a kitchen cabinet door or the refrigerator door with the intent to get a snack only to close the door without taking anything out after telling myself I don't really need to eat anything. Those times that I opt to eat something I will usually grab an orange, a banana, or 5 - 10 oz. of seedless grapes. They're healthy and not loaded with useless calories. Each day I will normally have at least one sleeve of crackers w/cheese or a 1 oz. bag of chips or pretzels.