Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• ElaineDucette
    Options
    I'm 54 and need to lose about half my body weight - this morning I weighed in for the 1st time in months and I'm 258, yikes! Please add me, I need supporting friends!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    There is no "adding", we are all in because we're well-seasoned.
    Pro tip: click the empty star above the magnifying glass toward the top of this page and then you'll be "subscribed" to the thread and won't have to go hunting for it. Then you can use the star at the top of the page next to the gear icon to come back to this (and other) subscribed threads easily.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Welcome Karen and Elaine! :)
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Also, you can click HERE and it will take you to a 50+ support group with more good info, support, and some fun posts. If you decide to join that group, as mentioned by nuffer, click on the star so you can more easily find it again.
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the group Elaine, Karen and Rdbartle! Great bunch of folks here, very active and super supportive.

This is a great thread, but as Mick pointed out a group was recently started as well. I sent the three of you invites to make it easier to join. More of the good stuff you see here, but broken down into different threads.

Once you join the group, it will show up within your group listings under community. (Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the star just bookmarks threads, not the groups to which you belong.)

Fifty Plus (or so) Support Group - Click here to join
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »

The pool I go to is pretty warm.... Depends on the day, but they always have the temp posted where you check in. That's the only way I can get in, that's for sure :) There are always a few real lap swimmers using the lap lanes, so we usually take the area next to the rope until they are done and then move over. It just amazes me how fluid and effortless some of those real swimmers appear. My technic on the other hand.................. Hahaha

Yeah, that's me. I have no technic. It seems my backside sinks while I'm swimming. After 5-6 strokes, My feet are walking on the bottom and my arms are padding away. Guess I just will keep practicing.

That's the ticket, keep at it. My technique has improved dramatically in just a few weeks. I'm going to ask one of the coaches for the kids' team for some quick pointers as there is still lots of room to improve. Thrashing the water into submission is a pretty good workout, but it would be nice to have a more efficient stroke.

That's me exactly, Thrashing. I'm sure others laugh but I'm not much in the mood to care. Just do what I can and have fun.
  • Mick1127
    Options
    Once you join the group, it will show up within your group listings under community. (Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the star just bookmarks threads, not the groups to which you belong.)
    That is correct. So the new folks know, just click on the "Groups" link in the top menu and all groups you have joined will be displayed. Then, just click on the group you want to go to.

• HappyTrails7
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have to admit that since joining this group I have been more motivated to get healthy. There's been a few days, today for instance, where 101 excuses attempt to derail me, but then I read all of your posts and see what you are up to, some of which include: swimming, hiking, walking, running, bicycling, etc. and it really persuades me to get up and do some form of exercise. So, thank you all. This is one heck of a good group. :smile:

Fifty Plus (or so) Support Group - Click here to join
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Swimmers! Keep on going, it'll get better! One of the things that I noted about being so fat is that my center of buoyancy was severely altered from when I was thinner, and had relocated further down my body... Basically, where I used to "float" centered just below my sternum, as a fattie, my "flotation" moved to be centered at my navel, or even a bit lower. My added girth also had me floating "higher" in the water. The net results of this were that kicking trusts would want to push my head under (where thinner, they'd cause my chest to help buoy my head), and rotating/pivoting strokes (freestyle / Australian crawl) make my fattie bod roll in some very awkward ways (think of a belly-fat 'superman', versus a superman where weight is more evenly spread between tummy & ribs.)

Long-winded (duh), but as you thin, you'll feel better in the water, floating a bit more naturally, and being able to pivot around your core and not your tummy or hips/thighs...

Swim-on friends, lose & win.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Just turned 59 on Friday the 3rd. I'm in.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Swimmers! Keep on going, it'll get better! One of the things that I noted about being so fat is that my center of buoyancy was severely altered from when I was thinner, and had relocated further down my body... Basically, where I used to "float" centered just below my sternum, as a fattie, my "flotation" moved to be centered at my navel, or even a bit lower. My added girth also had me floating "higher" in the water. The net results of this were that kicking trusts would want to push my head under (where thinner, they'd cause my chest to help buoy my head), and rotating/pivoting strokes (freestyle / Australian crawl) make my fattie bod roll in some very awkward ways (think of a belly-fat 'superman', versus a superman where weight is more evenly spread between tummy & ribs.)

Long-winded (duh), but as you thin, you'll feel better in the water, floating a bit more naturally, and being able to pivot around your core and not your tummy or hips/thighs...

Thanks for those insights, really appreciated. I have been frustrated not feeling as comfortable in the water as I recalled from decades ago. Totally makes sense that buoyancy and center of mass is very different from what I remember. I'm having a much harder time breathing smoothly than I recall and feel like I'm having to pick my head up way above where it should be. Add to that trying to learn to breather bilaterally, something I was never taught way back in the day, and it can be a weird thrash at times. But, it is getting better!
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi. When I started lap swimming 2 months ago at my community pool I grabbed a kick board they have around in bins poolside to use. It really helps me on the 50 m long course days. I can do more laps just kicking my way across.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Swim-on friends, lose & win.[/quote]
    Thanks for those insights, really appreciated. I have been frustrated not feeling as comfortable in the water as I recalled from decades ago. Totally makes sense that buoyancy and center of mass is very different from what I remember. I'm having a much harder time breathing smoothly than I recall and feel like I'm having to pick my head up way above where it should be. Add to that trying to learn to breather bilaterally, something I was never taught way back in the day, and it can be a weird thrash at times. But, it is getting better![/quote]

Breathing bilaterally is hard! There is always one side that we are more comfortable on. You can practice this a couple ways: you can swim one lap breathing on one side and the next lap out of the other, or another practice is every three strokes, alternate the side you are breathing on. Breathing exercises can be done with or without a kickboard. Main focus... Have fun!
  • butbygrace206
    Options

Okay, then maybe I will be able to swim correctly one day. I love the water, just have an issue with technique
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    pds06 wrote: »
    Just turned 59 on Friday the 3rd. I'm in.

Welcome! And happy Bday!!!
  • Mick1127
    Options
    Due to spring break for the schools, our trip to SC and now a short visit from my son and his family, I will not get to the pool until next week. Those are not excuses - they are reasons. Anyway, the 1 trip I did make to the pool has convinced me I will most likely be swimming my laps using the sidestroke. It will, I think, provide this old body with some legitimate exercise, increase flexibility, and not be as exhausting as swimming freestyle as it is a much more relaxing method in my mind. While I only made it to the pool 1 time, I am looking forward to my return. I can't believe I actually said that as it's been a looooooong time since I looked forward to any kind of exercise. This loosing weight must be infectious. Oh, BTW, when I weighed in this morning I was down 1 of those pounds I gained on our trip. With luck, another one will melt off today.
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nuffer for the 0 to 1 mile swim training link. I needed a swim goal to aim for and measure my progress as I feel stronger.

Going to the pool this afternoon. Have a great day all ☀️. Maryanne

• XRoadButterfly
    XRoadButterfly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello all...I'm 53 and looking to lose 45-50 lbs. Looking for motivation and support as I can't seem to get myself on track and finally decided I needed some accountability :smile:

Feel free to send me a friend request. Thanks!

Linda
  • HappyTrails7
    edited April 2015
    Options
    planforjah wrote: »
    Hello all...I'm 53 and looking to lose 45-50 lbs. Looking for motivation and support as I can't seem to get myself on track and finally decided I needed some accountability :smile:

Feel free to send me a friend request. Thanks!

Linda
    Welcome Linda, I think you will find the MyFitnessPal community very supportive, I hope you enjoy your time here. :)

I also sent you a link to the Fifty plus (or so) support group which was created because of this thread. The group contains the same motivated group of people, but allows us to create different threads.
  • bclegg
    bclegg Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and would love to join the group. I have 80 to lose, having regained 20 over the last few weeks as I focused on taking care of my sister who is ill. I let all the bad emotional eating habits return, but I'm determined to refocus on my own wellness too!