How many times have you seen this? Some people don't get it!

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What he said was that he did not eat 12000 calories.
    But he certainly does not eat clean AND is succesful
    Did I ever say he didn't? I simply said the guy doesn't eat 12,000 or 15,000 calories a day like the media portrayed it.

Have you been reading the thread?

MrEatClean: you can't succeed in fitness unless you eat clean
    Me: Phelps is an example of someone that does not eat clean and is successful in fitness, look at his diet. (no mention of 12000 calories)
    You:Phelps said his diet wasn't that.
    MrEatClean: THIS x2
    Me: eh, no, phelps still does not eat a clean diet, he just stated he doesn't eat 12000. His diet is still "I eat what I like".
    You: oh, yeah, that's what I said. (you didn't).
  • bamorford
    bamorford Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is crap

Would you like to make any attempt to clarify why? You would first need to demonstrate that you understand what IIFYM is, which you have yet to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_pXBT_h_lI

WATCH THIS THEN

The first thing I notice is they are recommending supplements. Supplements aren't clean. They are processed.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is crap

Totally, because it's never worked for anyone. Ever.
    Never ever.

*whispers* getting back together.

NOOOO!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Have you been reading the thread?

MrEatClean: you can't succeed in fitness unless you eat clean
    Me: Phelps is an example of someone that does not eat clean and is successful in fitness, look at his diet. (no mention of 12000 calories)
    You:Phelps said his diet wasn't that.
    MrEatClean: THIS x2
    Me: eh, no, phelps still does not eat a clean diet, he just stated he doesn't eat 12000. His diet is still "I eat what I like".
    You: oh, yeah, that's what I said. (you didn't).
    Tell me where I said Michael Phelp's doesn't follow IIFYM? Again, I simply stated he doesn't eat his own "Michael Phelp's Diet" by his own admission. Stop making this something it isn't.
    Michael Phelps: Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes. Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories. Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.
    This is the Michael Phelps diet that was posted earlier that I was referring to.

Here's the post that got your jimmies rustled.
    Oh and reading through the thread I saw the Michael Phelps diet posted on here, Michael Phelps himself stated that this "diet" of his not true.
    Notice how I said THE Michael Phelps diet... obviously he has an eating plan (he's alive) I was referring to him eating 12-15 thousand calories a day.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, you said in another thread that cheat meals and keeping up on your social life is important too. How much fun are you having by saying just enough to keep this thread going in the direction it's going? :flowerforyou:

In all seriousness, there are many people who do overestimate the benefit of the exercise they do and underestimate intake. This probably doesn't apply to most of the people responding. I think there is a lot of confusion surrounding nutrition and fitness. There is also a lot of it works for me, so it must work for you, even if the people aren't that similar physically. (Again, society, not this board.) I've had many people tell me that if I exercise, I can eat whatever I want and not have to worry about calories. That's not true for me. I will never exercise that much. That's not true for a lot of people. I've also had people fall prey to the health halo and tell me that if I just eat all whole foods, I can eat whatever I want and not have to worry. Also not true. (I am a vegan who feels my best with very limited grains and with the least processed foods possible, but I still have to watch my intake.) I feel my best, but I still don't always make that decision for myself to eat that way even the times I know I should.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    how would you know? stalking? haha just kidding about that part. I some times do it, but if I have a low cal count before going to the gym. usually go to carls jr for the grilled chicken salad
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    How many times have you seen people go to the gym and work their *kitten* off... only to stop at Wendy's or Mcdonald's after their workouts.

How do you know where they are going unless you are following them??
    ^^ STALKER alert ^^ :grumble: :noway:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I took a nap in the middle of reading this thread and now everything worth saying (and not worth saying) has been said at least once.

Firstly IIFYM makes more sense to me than 'clean' eating, because, to me, it seems more logical and less puritanical, and Puritanism just doesn't suit me.

However, what we tend to forget is that most people, even at the gym, don't calorie count. They go to the gym and assume they MUST have burnt off at least a burger or two, when, in fact, they haven't even gotten close. I'm sure I've done this with walking: I've walked slowly for an hour, so I must have earnt a cream cake... Sadly, not so.

So I think the OP is right, to a certain extent, but not for the reasons the OP thinks he's right.

As for the OP, he seems to get sarcasm (yay!), occasionally says reasonably intelligent things, but ignores anything that doesn't fit and suggests daft things, like all supporters of IIFYMs must be fat. For a while there I wondered if it wasn't Taunto or some other joker in disguise...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The earliest recorded recipe for soup was hippopotamus soup. HIPPOPOTAMUS SOUP! THAT IS JUST CRAZY!

I need that recipe. I've been looking for something to do with that hippopotamus.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I took a nap in the middle of reading this thread and now everything worth saying (and not worth saying) has been said at least once.

Firstly IIFYM makes more sense to me than 'clean' eating, because, to me, it seems more logical and less puritanical, and Puritanism just doesn't suit me.

However, what we tend to forget is that most people, even at the gym, don't calorie count. They go to the gym and assume they MUST have burnt off at least a burger or two, when, in fact, they haven't even gotten close. I'm sure I've done this with walking: I've walked slowly for an hour, so I must have earnt a cream cake... Sadly, not so.

So I think the OP is right, to a certain extent, but not for the reasons the OP thinks he's right.

As for the OP, he seems to get sarcasm (yay!), occasionally says reasonably intelligent things, but ignores anything that doesn't fit and suggests daft things, like all supporters of IIFYMs must be fat. For a while there I wondered if it wasn't Taunto or some other joker in disguise...

Welcome to the entitled land of Snack. Great that my 4 year-old is doing team sport ... Sh:tty that after 2 minutes of exercise that have to eat!!! First world mindset.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    But the majority of the people who are from the IIFYM camp/defending fast food aren't obese, Sir Dense A Lot.

Just quoting this because it needs to be posted again because clearly the OP can't see past his own nose.

Maybe if it's pointed out enough, he'll get it.

And being a certified trainer means nothing to me. I've gotten some of the worst advice (diet and exercise) from "certified trainers."
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    For a while there I wondered if it wasn't Taunto or some other joker in disguise...

You don't know Taunto very well, do you?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is crap

Would you like to make any attempt to clarify why? You would first need to demonstrate that you understand what IIFYM is, which you have yet to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_pXBT_h_lI

WATCH THIS THEN

Sure, I'll watch the Hodge Twins. Tell me if you believe the Hodge Twins are a good resource for nutritional information while we're at it.

And you can check out Layne Norton. This is only 1:15 or so.

Layne trains professional bodybuilders and is also a champion bodybuilder.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfaYy2m-iQ

Layne is a research scientist as well and has multiple degrees in relevant fields.
    http://www.biolayne.com/

absolutely layne norton is great.

Quote from Layne Norton

"I find the whole idea of ‘clean eating’ pretentious. What exactly defines a food as ‘clean’? Do you spray windex on it? Rub soap on it? I find it a bit preposterous. I’ve been in debates with people promoting ‘clean eating’ but when I ask for a specific scientific definition of what makes a food ‘clean’ they are silent. I think the restrictive diets where you can only eat a half dozen or so foods are not only unhealthy because they don’t give you a diverse intake of nutrients but I believe they promote eating disorders and binging. I see people who ‘eat clean’ during most of the week and then binge on cheesecake, ice cream, and donuts because it’s a ‘cheat’ meal. Oh yea… that is way healthier than eating ‘unclean’ foods in moderation to a hit a specific macronutrient target. *rolleyes* Now that said, I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/a-talk-with-the-doc-dr-layne-norton/

Copied that to a file to keep. I may have to become obnoxious and post it every time I see someone mention "eating clean."
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    LOL, unreal. Say what you have to say to justify your poor eating habits.

I guess all i am trying to say is you WILL most likely have more success losing unwanted weight by eating: Lean protein, complex/whole grain carbohydrate & a healthy fat source.

Lets say "Little Timmy" works out hard on a consistent basis for an entire year but eats simple sugars, refined carbohydrates, saturated fats ect.
    Then lets say "Little Timmy" works out hard on a consistent basis for an entire year but, eats lean protein, complex/whole grain carbohydrates and a healthy fat source.

There is not one person that can say that "little Timmy" eating poorly will see better results. simple fact. but, i am sure most of you will try to argue this point.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

I guess all i am trying to say is you WILL most likely have more success losing unwanted weight by eating: Lean protein, complex/whole grain carbohydrate & a healthy fat source.

Lets say "Little Timmy" works out hard on a consistent basis for an entire year but eats simple sugars, refined carbohydrates, saturated fats ect.
    Then lets say "Little Timmy" works out hard on a consistent basis for an entire year but, eats lean protein, complex/whole grain carbohydrates and a healthy fat source.

There is not one person that can say that "little Timmy" eating poorly will see better results. simple fact. but, i am sure most of you will try to argue this point.

All work and no play will make "Little Timmy" a dull boy.
  • nack_23
    Options

"dull boy" or not he will still see better results.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

Yea, but then Little Timmy will run around spouting off like he's got the answers for everyone and say all sorts of silly things about people he doesn't even know. People everywhere will know him for an obsessive head job and no one will take him seriously.

True story. I've seen it happen.
  • nack_23
    Options

Yea, but then Little Timmy will run around spouting off like he's got the answers for everyone and say all sorts of silly things about people he doesn't even know. People everywhere will know him for an obsessive head job and no one will take him seriously.

good one
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

QFT!!!