Beer must go...replace with?

Options
123457»

Replies

• groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Vodka & diet tonic with a squeeze of lemon!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Beer does not have to go. Beer was invented by the monks as a replacement for bread. It is an excellent source of nutrients, ethanol and carbs. Beer is not high in carbs. Bread, potatoes, and rice are far higher in carbs. I have been steadily losing fat and gaining muscle with my diet, which includes beer many times a week. It is simple math, caloric intake (eating) must be less than calories burned (metabolic rate plus exercise). Just count up all of the calories burned and eaten during the day. If I know I am going out to drink 4-6 Guiness (yes I do not like lite beer), I know to save 500-700 calories. I have had a few liquid dinners and feel great the next day. It is easy to drink a full beer like Guiness without getting hungry for bar food crap.

If you're going to drink pints (is there another way to drink Guinness?) then you'll want to save a few more calories than that.

<Drifts back to many happy times on the west coast of Ireland>

I love my booze so have moved onto dry red as my drop of choice. I'd go the spirit on a regular basis but my digestive system says no.

I love beer too, I have a big bottle of Coopers Extra Stout (nutrition profile terrible, probably, dunno, I don't log alcohol ...) sitting in my fridge right now waiting for the right moment ...
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love beer; I'm British and drink real ale. Not only is beer my favourite drink, but my hobbies include Morris dancing (where we drink beer), folk clubs (where we drink beer), and playing melodeon (where we drink beer). Oh yes, and going to the pub (where we drink beer). It has been a struggle! One of my Christmas presents was a t-shirt saying 'Running = More Beer'.

So, I haven't given it up. I have cut down a bit -- I mostly just have two pints now when I go out; that's about 400 calories. I try to choose slightly lower alcohol beers because they're a little lower in cals. I don't go out quite as often as I used to, and I try to arrange to do things with friends that don't always involve drinking. And I plan it in, often by exercising if I know I'll be drinking later, or by having light meals and no snacks.

And I've lost 40 pounds so far. So it's doable. You don't have to give up the things you love.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Bourbon/Whiskey ... small batch... dont drink more, drink better quality :)

I like Knob Creek and the like for Bourbon - not too pricey, but you can drink straight, or with Diet Coke or whatever... I dont like mixing with soda..or anything.. neat or on the rocks (if I am out and want my drink to last).

Knob Creek is great (neat for my tastes), I just wish I could deal with spirit better.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Better beer than budweiser.. out of the choices in WI you pick that one.. Yuck.

Totally agree! Personally, I have tried to reduce my beer intake, but if it fits in my calories, all bets are off...
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You're not drinking real beer in the first place. Replace that stuff with a beer that is actually filling and tasty, and you might be tempted to drink less.

That would be the other way round for me - craft beer (or real ale as we call it in the UK) is great! I'd definitely be able to give up Bud in a flash though.
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options

. Any suggestions on something else to try...I do not do whiskey or gin.

I have read to give up alcohol for weight loss, but I don't believe in giving up everything to lose weight, but make some changes instead. Any ideas???

I drink vodka 80 proof (60 calories) with water (0 calories) Mio (0 calories) I do the off brand water inhancers, I do Mio all flavors, I love the new disanta ones. They give you electrolites when you drink too. That is totally my drink of choice and it doesn't take a lot to get a nice buzz on once in awhile. I have taken my Mio to restaurants and bars as well and they don't seem to mind. Don't get me wrong I love my beer too but I try to save that for once in a great while.
  • DoctorKatey
    Options
    Such a sad story. :(

I'll be honest, I decided that I had to give it ALL up (beer, wine, etc.) b/c drinking one type would tempt me to drink the other. So instead, I buy club soda by the gallon and I purchased bitters, which are drink ingredients and enhancers, to add to it. Yes, they're composed of alcohol, but you only need a few drops. Using the bitters, it smells and tastes like I have a real drink in my hand, without the ill effects or the calories.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Gave up the booze enitrely for while myself, but have done the Vodka & diet thing before when I gave up the beer. Light beer just sucks, and would rather have 70 cal diet & vodka drinks over that.

Also: Less food eaten = easier to get drunk = less alcohol drunk overall. It's funny it all balances out in the end like that. Of course getting too drunk and then doing a 7-11 binge at the end of the night is an ever present danger I suppose if self-control is an issue when loaded.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I am a beer snob and purist.
    Never will I drink light beer.
    I will also never drink anything b y Bud, Coors, or anything crap Macrobrew.

I save my calories or just cheat and drink good well brewed delicious microbrews.

They are my treat and basically I guess my cake because I couldn't care less about eating cake or pie or cookies.
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm going out tonight and am having the same dilema! I decided that I will just eat fairly light all day so I can imbibe tonight. I am going to the gym after work and decided however many calories I burn is how many beers I can drink!!! So I'll probably ending up busting my but so I can fully enjoy my evening :)
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hey- drinking a good high quality, full body beer is Not cheating. The monks invented beer as a meal replacement. Beer is a healthy drink that I incorporate in my lifestyle. The only negative with beer is when it is abused- like any other food item. There is a reason beer comes in a six pack. It is the perfect meal replacement size- 6 guiness is about 720 calories. If you only have about 700 calories left on a Friday night- there is nothing wrong with a liquid meal replacement dinner of 6 good full bodied beers. I have done this many times and feel great the next morning. Fat keeps coming off steady, even with the beer, as long as I remain in a calorie deficit.
    I am a beer snob and purist.
    Never will I drink light beer.
    I will also never drink anything b y Bud, Coors, or anything crap Macrobrew.

I save my calories or just cheat and drink good well brewed delicious microbrews.

They are my treat and basically I guess my cake because I couldn't care less about eating cake or pie or cookies.
  • jan1755
    jan1755 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like beer. My problem though is that when I drink beer, it weakens my inhibitions and after three beers, I still eat dinner. I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up beer since I way over eat my calories on beer drinking days.
  • karenstack
    karenstack Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love beer. If I had to pick any one thing for my cheat list, beer would be it. Beer is my post-work treat, and I can't imagine permanently giving it up. I tried switching to miller 64 or bud 55. You can drink a 6 pack of bud 55, and only be consuming 330 calories. The problem is, they aren't very satisfying. Why bother?

At the end of the day, I say go for one (or two if it's the weekend and you've been good all day) full-calorie, full-body, high-quality beer. Sip and savor. It's much better than slamming a bunch of cheap, watered down beers.

If you are super set on a liquor replacement for beer, I'd go for gin and club soda with a twist of lime. Stay away from tonic because it's got a lot of sugar. Just remember that without all the cover-up sweeteners, the taste of the gin really comes out...so don't go cheap. I recommend Tanqueray.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm a bartender and I don't really like drinking mixed drinks when I go out. I'm sure it's the norm in cities, but where I live, people still free pour instead of using an inventory control, measured pour system. Thus, I never know how much booze I'm getting in a mixed drink and it could very well be more than I'd like, both calorie-wise and for the fact that I don't want to drive unless I'm only drinking at the legal BAC standard of less than .08, which for me would be about two domestic beers in two hours. Also, if you do choose to include fruit juice, while it will be more caloric, it will slow down your rate of alcohol absorption...at least that's what they taught in the state alcohol server certification course.

And I know it's supposedly a MYTH that people get drunker on hard alcohol, from the standpoint of science. But, 17 years of experience tells me they really do, regardless of what science says.

I would just drink a good beer or two and figure it in. Take the bun off your sandwich or don't eat any other empty calories that day. Work out 30 minutes longer. I never find hard alcohol satisfies my desire for a savory, malty beverage. It's like craving coffee and drinking a Diet Coke instead. Just not the same!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Vodka.
    Or rum and diet coke.
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'll be giving up beer because of a lap band so I've been perusing other (carbonation free) alcohols that can fill the same role when I'm drinking socially and I've decided on Scotch. It's more expensive but it's full flavored enough I find myself drinking it much more slowly (which also translates to fewer calories). More importantly it satisfies the same flavor notes I enjoy when drinking beer.
  • joleencoervers
    joleencoervers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vodka, soda water and lemon juice not syrup......I work out extra on days I want to drink. I am not far into my weight loss though so I don't know if this works but I am always under calories.