Obesity and Welfare

Options
EnderNC
EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/08/obese-londoners-could-lose-welfare-benefits-if-they-dont-exercise/

Saw this story about Londoners, and got me thinking about Americans. Does anyone think that if you are getting government welfare, you should be at risk for losing welfare benefits if you are morbidly obese?

Also, should any foods be ineligible for purchase when on food stamps?

I personally believe the government shouldn't be involved in food stamps, but since we are, sweets and "junk food" should not be allowed for purchase. I would propose only items that represent a substantial nutrient intake in the food chart (lean meats, whole grains {Exception if person has allergies}, milk, yogurt, cheese, fruits, veggies, beans, etc.)

What do you all think? I want to hear everyone's viewpoint on this.

NOTE: Everyone may not have the same opinion, but please do not denigrate a person for their views. Also, if you wish to discuss this, but are shy to share your view, a PM is always welcome.

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    As long as you can purchase alcohol, cigarettes and guns, it would be really strange to put a ban on like sugar wouldn't it?
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I think that not only should they give out benefits, but also teach classes on how to get the most for your dollar with healthier choices... because not only are they going to be utilizing food stamp benefits, but likely medicaid benefits for health insurance too. I don't think that there should be exclusions on foods, but I do think we should be having a tax on unnessecary, unhealthy items much like we already do with cigarettes. You want to eat a diet high in processed foods fine, but know you're only get X amount of dollars in assistance, and if you make bad choices it's going to limit what you could actually be getting... more bang for your buck.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Won't happen in the US. They can even require welfare recipients to take drug test. Now they're supposed to monitor whether or not they're on the treadmill. This just screams Fail.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I think on a goverment wide basis, the laws to prevent certain foods or too much of bad foods would be so hard and complicated to write in words that it wouldn't be worth it.

You can screw up any diet by overeating even the right foods.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i think that they should only be able to purchase healthy foods like milk, eggs, potatoes, veggies, fruits, breads, beans, meat and stuff of that nature (no pop, candy, or compleate junk foods) i also think they should be tested for drugs and have to do UAs to show they arnt on any drugs (if your on welfare and doing drugs why are u spending what money you do have on drugs instead of food)
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think that there is a lot of good in SNAP, but I also think that there's a decent amount of abuse and waste. Personally, I do think that there should be significant limits on what you can buy through the program. I don't think it should be as restrictive as WIC, but it definitely should move that direction.

I think there should also be required health/wellness/food education, even though that means it would cost the taxpayers more in the short term.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    As long as you can purchase alcohol, cigarettes and guns, it would be really strange to put a ban on like sugar wouldn't it?
    I'm confused. You can't buy alcohol, cigarettes, or guns with food stamps.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    i think that they should only be able to purchase healthy foods like milk, eggs, potatoes, veggies, fruits, breads, beans, meat and stuff of that nature (no pop, candy, or compleate junk foods) i also think they should be tested for drugs and have to do UAs to show they arnt on any drugs (if your on welfare and doing drugs why are u spending what money you do have on drugs instead of food)

I like the way you think.
  • sofielein
    Options
    If anyone had worked with the poor or homeless, you know that these people usually have very little joy in life and need their cigs and booze and donuts much more than average or rich people. From a certain social perspective I am finding inhuman to regulate their life which already sucks (and usually lacks any perspective).
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't even like the idea of foodstamps. i like our welfare system in Canada where you get your cheque and make your own spending decisions. No embarrassment of stamps and it avoids the judgmental *kitten* from knowing that you are shopping with government assistance. Overall when people make their own decisions based on their preferences we are more productive.
    So no way to limiting what foods people can buy with food stamps. Everyone should be treated with dignity and respect and from Americans on assistance who I have conversed with online, they don't get that. :(
  • whitneyps7
    Options

thanks :) im saying it would be a good idea. not saying it is an actual reality tho.
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    Do I think they should lose their benefits, no...
    Now on the subject of the ebt (food stamps), I do believe that their should be some guidelines... I mean you look at our youth and day by day we become more obese and unhealthy..
    Then go to the grocery store and you see someone buying with ebt, and almost always you see nothing but junk tin their carts... I mean, there have been times that I have personally seen some healthful minded people, but not usually.
    Then you get the people that say they buy the mac n cheese because they have a lot of kids to feed and the ebt amount is too small.. Now that just pi**es me off. What you are telling me is that you are too damned lazy to looking for a more healthful way of feeding your children...
    There should be specific guidelines in place, to where yes maybe you can buy some "treats", but most should not be available..Sorry, long winded...
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    In my town, there's a Farmer's Market deal where if you have children and are on EBT, you get $50 worth of produce for $25 on EBT. It's pretty sweet for us poor families attempting to watch their health.

I work in mental health care. Not only does this keep me below the poverty line, but it also has me advocating for a handful of individuals who are much more disadvantaged than I am. I spend a lot of time in the Food Stamps office lines for my work, and yes, MOST of the other people in line with me are morbidly obese.

It would be nice if there were easier to access programs for healthy eating than the Farmer's Market one I mentioned. Most of these people can't afford the transportation or the time off work to attend the market, and I'll guarantee none of them have heard of the program.

A gym discount would be nice.

But restricting use isn't a very good idea, from a social work perspective. The majority of people on Food Stamps are either full-time workers in low-wage jobs trying to support families ( like myself ) or they are people with physical and mental disabilities. Cheap, prepackaged, easy-to-prepare or ready-to-eat meals are the only things most of my clients are able to utilize in their daily lives. They'd be unable to prepare (wash, cut, cook, consume) raw produce, meat, or grains.

Do they need help to be healthy? YOU BET. Is restricting EBT purchases a viable way to do it? **** NO.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Only problem is they aren't really given enough money to buy healthy food. The amount they are given usually amounts to an average of 5 dollars per day. Which results in having to buy canned and processed food. Usually the most unhealthy food is the cheapest and they have to resort to that. Even if there intentions are good and for eating healthy I'm sure they are completely tied with their hands behind their backs because it is more expensive to eat healthy
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I took some time to vent my 'real' answer NOT here so that I could fall under your request to be nice :blushing:

It sounds like an easy answer to just not make unhealthy food available to people who can be 'controlled' in this manner but there is no way that you can make it work for everyone. And I'd bet that the percentage of people who would actually be helped long-term would be very minimal.

Poverty reduces people in so many ways and in our society there are many different reasons why the 'have-nots' are where they are. Reducing their worth further by acting as though they are unable to make their own choices in regards to what they feed themselves isn't going to help them make appropriate choices when/if they ever are able to support themselves.

I could say a lot more, but that's it in a nutshell.
  • whitneyps7
    Options

thanks :) im saying it would be a good idea. not saying it is an actual reality tho.

but it also ties in to if your on welfare because of your kids and your doing drugs not only should you not get food stamps ect, but also you should have your children removed from you...not saying i want a bunch of families ruined but if your doing drugs and have little ones there should be consequences for that.(including not being given government assistance)
  • MissStephenie
    Options
    I didnt even bother reading the article, and my answer is no.
    How can you limit welfare funds to the obese, but not everyone else on the system?

i dont "like" the amount of drug addicts, or alcoholics that are on the system and use their check to support their habbit nor do i like the mothers the continuously have children just to live off the system but what can you do?

if they dont cut off money for drug addicts or mothers with 10 children what makes you think it fair to limit money or food stamps to the obese?
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    If anyone had worked with the poor or homeless, you know that these people usually have very little joy in life and need their cigs and booze and donuts much more than average or rich people. From a certain social perspective I am finding inhuman to regulate their life which already sucks (and usually lacks any perspective).

Maybe not how I would have phrased it, but yes, the same point from me.
  • sofielein
    Options
    LaurySch, exactly what I was saying!
  • whitneyps7
    Options

my best friend has food stamps. she buys chicken and beef and (lobster for special occasions) veggies and fruits, she cooks really healthy im not sure how much she gets but i know it can be done. then again i think she does spend her own money as well on food she dosnt just rely on the food stamps for all of it.

Only problem is they aren't really given enough money to buy healthy food. The amount they are given usually amounts to an average of 5 dollars per day. Which results in having to buy canned and processed food. Usually the most unhealthy food is the cheapest and they have to resort to that. Even if there intentions are good and for eating healthy I'm sure they are completely tied with their hands behind their backs because it is more expensive to eat healthy
This discussion has been closed.