Obesity and Welfare

Options

Replies

• MissStephenie
    Options
    anyother thing..we dont have "food stamps" in canada, but i know for a fact that the welfare system here doesnt give nearly enough money to even cover the average cost of living so there is no way possible for them to be able to afford healhy food. maybe this is why a lot of these people are obese to begin with.. fatty foods are way cheaper and thats why these people buy them
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    If anyone had worked with the poor or homeless, you know that these people usually have very little joy in life and need their cigs and booze and donuts much more than average or rich people. From a certain social perspective I am finding inhuman to regulate their life which already sucks (and usually lacks any perspective).

Sorry but it's that mentality that got them in trouble in the first place. That's like the people that get their tax return, and instead of paying down their debt they go out and buy a new tv on credit. Stupid choices because they want temporary joy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Saw this story about Londoners, and got me thinking about Americans. Does anyone think that if you are getting government welfare, you should be at risk for losing welfare benefits if you are morbidly obese?

Also, should any foods be ineligible for purchase when on food stamps?

To the first quesion, I don't think they should automatically lose benefits, but I do think they should be required to show that they are actively trying to lose weight or provide medical documention of why they can't.

To the second, no, I do not think all food should be available on food stamps.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to regulate what they buy with their food stamps, but I think think government could do a better job at regulating WHERE they use their food stamps. I don't think that a person should be able to use their food stamps at a gas station.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It may be different in the US of UK but..
    I helped a lady once go for food with "food stamps" (or our version). It was a seperate grocery store that other people, like myself, probably wouldn't have access to. I COMPLETELY think that they should only offer healthy/healthier food there. Mostly, because, I think a lot of them are supporting their families with it and children should learn to have fruit and veggies, not chips and cake.

On a side note.. I also don't think, as a working individual, I should be supporting addicts and women that have never heard of birth control.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think they should go back to giving away food instead. They used to give out actual food, canned goods and cheese and such.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If anyone had worked with the poor or homeless, you know that these people usually have very little joy in life and need their cigs and booze and donuts much more than average or rich people. From a certain social perspective I am finding inhuman to regulate their life which already sucks (and usually lacks any perspective).

I know that welfare laws vary from state to state, but how would a homeless person get food stamps?
  • MissStephenie
    Options
    i think that they should only be able to purchase healthy foods like milk, eggs, potatoes, veggies, fruits, breads, beans, meat and stuff of that nature (no pop, candy, or compleate junk foods) i also think they should be tested for drugs and have to do UAs to show they arnt on any drugs (if your on welfare and doing drugs why are u spending what money you do have on drugs instead of food)

I like the way you think.

Only problem is they aren't really given enough money to buy healthy food. The amount they are given usually amounts to an average of 5 dollars per day. Which results in having to buy canned and processed food. Usually the most unhealthy food is the cheapest and they have to resort to that. Even if there intentions are good and for eating healthy I'm sure they are completely tied with their hands behind their backs because it is more expensive to eat healthy

youre exactly right! they dont have the funds to eat healthy even if they wanted to!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i think that they should only be able to purchase healthy foods like milk, eggs, potatoes, veggies, fruits, breads, beans, meat and stuff of that nature (no pop, candy, or compleate junk foods) i also think they should be tested for drugs and have to do UAs to show they arnt on any drugs (if your on welfare and doing drugs why are u spending what money you do have on drugs instead of food)

thanks :) im saying it would be a good idea. not saying it is an actual reality tho.

but it also ties in to if your on welfare because of your kids and your doing drugs not only should you not get food stamps ect, but also you should have your children removed from you...not saying i want a bunch of families ruined but if your doing drugs and have little ones there should be consequences for that.(including not being given government assistance)

More and more states are drug testing

In michigan, you cannot buy supplements (vitamins, protein powder) using the MI Bridge card or alcohol etc....however you can buy pop. Pop is really the only thing I can think of that should also be eliminated
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options

The drug tests would be for those who receive cash, not food benefits. Drug testing in the few places that do it have actually cost the state more money because less than 2% tested positive and most of those who were positive were positive for marijuana. Its OK to drug test cash reciepiants based on what? Profiling? Let's drug test every politician and any politician who runs for office. I can guess they'd be much higher than 2% and not for pot.

Also, if the state is going to FORCE people getting food stamps to eat healthy it will raise the cost per family because its far cheaper to each frozen, boxed processed foods than it is to eat healthy.

I personally feel asking anyone to pee in a cup just "in case" is a violation of their 4th amendment. I don't do any drugs nor do I collect welfare, but I'm all for civil rights.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Most lower income neighborhoods in the US do not have fruits and veggies available. I live in a lower middle income neighborhood and the local supermarket has a limited selection, at higher prices than the same chain a few miles down the road. There is no butcher, just some prepacked meats, and no deli. We spend the extra money on gas to go where there are better choices, but many of our neighbors are seniors who walk or ride their scooters. Even among the young families, many would have to take the bus to get to the other stores, which makes it hard to get a full week's worth of groceries for a family. I honestly have no idea why the ones with cars still use that store.

Drug testing has proven to be a waste of money in Florida.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

They have done that in some states and found that the cost of testing is a waste of money. Come to find out, hardly anyone on food stamps is a habitual drug user. And it costs more money to do the testing than what they could possibly save.
  • bkw2488
    bkw2488 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I believe there should be a restriction on what food is allowed to be purchased with food stamps. The WIC programs tells you exactly what you are allowed to have. Plus they also hand out forms on Healthy eating choices when a person picks up their checks.
  • bakenatj
    Options
    Welfare should be a bag of rice and a bag of beans. If you can't get a job why should you eat high on the hog???
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

thanks :) im saying it would be a good idea. not saying it is an actual reality tho.

but it also ties in to if your on welfare because of your kids and your doing drugs not only should you not get food stamps ect, but also you should have your children removed from you...not saying i want a bunch of families ruined but if your doing drugs and have little ones there should be consequences for that.(including not being given government assistance)

More and more states are drug testing

In michigan, you cannot buy supplements (vitamins, protein powder) using the MI Bridge card or alcohol etc....however you can buy pop. Pop is really the only thing I can think of that should also be eliminated

Actually a lot of them have given up on the idea after realizing that it isn't cost effective.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to regulate what they buy with their food stamps, but I think think government could do a better job at regulating WHERE they use their food stamps. I don't think that a person should be able to use their food stamps at a gas station.

And if you don't have a car, and the closest place to buy a gallon of milk is a gas station?
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

The drug tests would be for those who receive cash, not food benefits. Drug testing in the few places that do it have actually cost the state more money because less than 2% tested positive and most of those who were positive were positive for marijuana. Its OK to drug test cash reciepiants based on what? Profiling? Let's drug test every politician and any politician who runs for office. I can guess they'd be much higher than 2% and not for pot.

Also, if the state is going to FORCE people getting food stamps to eat healthy it will raise the cost per family because its far cheaper to each frozen, boxed processed foods than it is to eat healthy.

I personally feel asking anyone to pee in a cup just "in case" is a violation of their 4th amendment. I don't do any drugs nor do I collect welfare, but I'm all for civil rights.

ok i get your point, your right. eating healthy is more expensive than i thought i guess and ya drug testing is pretty expensive as well i guess i didnt think about that part
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't thnk the goverement should be in anyone's peronal health choices period.

As to the Wic I can't say. I don't use them.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options

To reiterate what she said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/us/no-savings-found-in-florida-welfare-drug-tests.html?_r=0

It really is a waste of time and money.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think there needs to be modivation for people on welfare to get off welfare...that does not exist now in my opinion. I think strictor "rules" like mandating drug tests and restricting what foods can be purcased with food stamps would be the right direction. However, that will never happen in the U.S. I have no problem with any kind of public assistance for people who really need it, I do have a problem with people who abuse it...in my opinion there are a lot of people in the U.S. that seem to abuse it.
This discussion has been closed.