Obesity and Welfare

Options

Replies

• JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think it should be more like WIC and only certin foods should be allowed.
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to regulate what they buy with their food stamps, but I think think government could do a better job at regulating WHERE they use their food stamps. I don't think that a person should be able to use their food stamps at a gas station.

And if you don't have a car, and the closest place to buy a gallon of milk is a gas station?

If you can make it to a gas station you can probably make it to a grocery store.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I know that welfare laws vary from state to state, but how would a homeless person get food stamps?

Where I live I know of a couple of places that have mail slots for homeless people, if that is what you mean. It is a normal address and everything.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    i think that they should only be able to purchase healthy foods like milk, eggs, potatoes, veggies, fruits, breads, beans, meat and stuff of that nature (no pop, candy, or compleate junk foods) i also think they should be tested for drugs and have to do UAs to show they arnt on any drugs (if your on welfare and doing drugs why are u spending what money you do have on drugs instead of food)

The drug tests would be for those who receive cash, not food benefits. Drug testing in the few places that do it have actually cost the state more money because less than 2% tested positive and most of those who were positive were positive for marijuana. Its OK to drug test cash reciepiants based on what? Profiling? Let's drug test every politician and any politician who runs for office. I can guess they'd be much higher than 2% and not for pot.

To reiterate what she said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/us/no-savings-found-in-florida-welfare-drug-tests.html?_r=0

It really is a waste of time and money.

Invalid point. Florida does everything wrong.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I think Americans would see such a measure as unkind and judgmental.
    Often welfare bums eat poorly out of ignorance and naivete regarding nutrition and wise food choices.
    We need to find a better way to educate the underclass about the benefits of preventive health and general wellness.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    And if you don't have a car, and the closest place to buy a gallon of milk is a gas station?

If you can make it to a gas station you can probably make it to a grocery store.

And probably is good enough for you?
  • RixxyRikaa
    RixxyRikaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Health has socioeconomical factors. Ever realize how all the unhealthy food is dirt cheap? When you're struggling to make money, you're going to choose what is easiest/quickest to prepare as well as costs the least.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't think that a person should be able to use their food stamps at a gas station.
    I disagree with this. Where I live I can buy milk for $1-$1.39 per half gallon at Kwik Trip which saves me considerably each month since its pretty much double that in a grocery store.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i think that they should only be able to purchase healthy foods like milk, eggs, potatoes, veggies, fruits, breads, beans, meat and stuff of that nature (no pop, candy, or compleate junk foods) i also think they should be tested for drugs and have to do UAs to show they arnt on any drugs (if your on welfare and doing drugs why are u spending what money you do have on drugs instead of food)

I like the way you think.

thanks :) im saying it would be a good idea. not saying it is an actual reality tho.

Yeah that's a great Idea.

Stop supporting people who fail drug tests on Welfare and then see what happens to the crime rates.

What would you prefer? Higher taxes or higher crime?

Idiotic.

Not to mention the amount of people on Welfare who are there because of mental illness and don't receive proper medical attention due to the ****ty US health care system and have to self medicate with illegal substances.

You people need to take a Social Work course. Good lord.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

The drug tests would be for those who receive cash, not food benefits. Drug testing in the few places that do it have actually cost the state more money because less than 2% tested positive and most of those who were positive were positive for marijuana. Its OK to drug test cash reciepiants based on what? Profiling? Let's drug test every politician and any politician who runs for office. I can guess they'd be much higher than 2% and not for pot.

To reiterate what she said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/us/no-savings-found-in-florida-welfare-drug-tests.html?_r=0

It really is a waste of time and money.

Invalid point. Florida does everything wrong.

You must be under the assumption that welfare recipients are on drugs. So you are willing to set aside the laws of economics to make it fit your prejudice. That's too bad.
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In my town, there's a Farmer's Market deal where if you have children and are on EBT, you get $50 worth of produce for $25 on EBT. It's pretty sweet for us poor families attempting to watch their health.

I work in mental health care. Not only does this keep me below the poverty line, but it also has me advocating for a handful of individuals who are much more disadvantaged than I am. I spend a lot of time in the Food Stamps office lines for my work, and yes, MOST of the other people in line with me are morbidly obese.

It would be nice if there were easier to access programs for healthy eating than the Farmer's Market one I mentioned. Most of these people can't afford the transportation or the time off work to attend the market, and I'll guarantee none of them have heard of the program.

A gym discount would be nice.

But restricting use isn't a very good idea, from a social work perspective. The majority of people on Food Stamps are either full-time workers in low-wage jobs trying to support families ( like myself ) or they are people with physical and mental disabilities. Cheap, prepackaged, easy-to-prepare or ready-to-eat meals are the only things most of my clients are able to utilize in their daily lives. They'd be unable to prepare (wash, cut, cook, consume) raw produce, meat, or grains.

Do they need help to be healthy? YOU BET. Is restricting EBT purchases a viable way to do it? **** NO.

Well said.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    This would actually be an easy fix. If you pay for certain items with food stamps, they cost you double. So a loaf of bread $1.00 and a loaf of jelly roll $10.00. See how far the stamps go then. This way you're not taking away what they want to buy, it's just going to cost them more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think there needs to be modivation for people on welfare to get off welfare...that does not exist now in my opinion. I think strictor "rules" like mandating drug tests and restricting what foods can be purcased with food stamps would be the right direction. However, that will never happen in the U.S. I have no problem with any kind of public assistance for people who really need it, I do have a problem with people who abuse it...in my opinion there are a lot of people in the U.S. that seem to abuse it.

Far less than those who actually need it. Humans...are vile for the most part. Regardless of the cause or the matter...there will be a few a-holes who use and abuse SOMETHING.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I get a small amount of food stamps a month, not due to not working or refusing to work, being lazy, any of that. My family had a fire and this was literally the only help we could get from ANYONE to help us rebuild our lives, so we took it.. I am overweight, not even close to entirely due to my eating habits. If the government wants to start watching what we buy with our food stamps, that is just plain ridiculous! If they ban sweets, my kids can't have fruit snacks, and they do realize, healthier food is generally more expensive? I can pay 4 bucks for 2 boxes of fruit snacks or 4 bucks on 2 pieces of fruit... 16 snacks vs 2.

WIC does limit what you can get, I had it with my first daughter. They are VERY specific with what you can and cannot get. WIC is also state, if I remember correctly.

I think the government should be more concerned with those people receiving assistance who are using drugs and using their cash assistance to buy booze instead of diapers for their children and butt the **** out of my family's food choices.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to regulate what they buy with their food stamps, but I think think government could do a better job at regulating WHERE they use their food stamps. I don't think that a person should be able to use their food stamps at a gas station.

Why? There are two gas stations with grocery sections (bread, milk, pasta, sauce, peanut butter, sugar, tuna, deli meats, etc) just a block or two away from me. The nearest grocery store is three miles away.

I'm not on food stamps, but I choose to go to the gas station when I don't feel like driving to the grocery store. I suppose the choice is even "easier" for people who have to walk or ride the bus. I actually pity people who have to rely on gas stations instead of having stores with fresh produce and healthier options closer to them. I've been on the bus with six bags of groceries; it's no picnic. I'd hate to take that option away from them and leave them without ANY options.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    "Sorry but it's that mentality that got them in trouble in the first place. That's like the people that get their tax return, and instead of paying down their debt they go out and buy a new tv on credit. Stupid choices because they want temporary joy. "

The truth is, approximately 5-10% of those people is able to change, this is the reality. Even those only can by strong motivation and encouragement and some helper network around them, and not by taking the bottle away, taping their mouth shut, and taking things away from them that other people CAN have (which is exactly what they experience 24*7).

Food addiction does not differ much from heroin addiction. You can jail the addict but the first thing they will do is get the stuff when they are out. Only those live differently who actually WANT TO. Making them want to is the hard part and cannot be done via food stamps.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Welfare should be a bag of rice and a bag of beans. If you can't get a job why should you eat high on the hog???

You're assuming people on welfare don't have jobs. You might want to research something called "the working poor".
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options

And probably is good enough for you?

Listen, sorry if i'm hitting too close to home for you. It sounds like I hit a nerve. I'm just saying, I don't believe people should be able to use food stamps to go to a gas station to buy pop and candy bars. And if you're buying milk at a gas station, why not drive a little further down the road and get it at a grocery store so you're not paying double for it.
  • ArianaLuvsMe101
    Options
    Wow..
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Everyone should be able to buy any kinds of foods. I personally get them, and 95% of the food I buy is healthy. But that choice is up to the people getting them. I also work so I don't get much when I do get them. You shouldn't base it on weight, you should base it on eligibility. Like passing a drug test and actually working but not making enough to get by.
This discussion has been closed.