Obesity and Welfare

Options

Replies

• stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think there needs to be more education. I think there should be required education for welfare and food stamps. It should not be a lifestyle, it should be a temporary help for a bad situation. The only way to better the situation is through education. I would rather my tax dollars go to improving the situations of people that are in the system than to just providing a "hand out". Teach money management, teach life skills, teach health and fitness, help them help themselves get out of the system.
    Not willing to learn these things then you shouldn't be handed any assistance. There are always circumstances for why people can't do this but there is a huge difference between can't and won't. A good example is... my employer expects me to do my job in order to pay me. I don't do my job... I don't get paid. I have to get a new job and I have to agree to be tested for drugs in order to be hired.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    If there is one thing I know that will help people improve their lives and get off welfare it is tearing them down and/or making their lives harder. Hell yeah. Let's really stick it to them and force them to eat mud cookies and clean our shoes too!

Then we can move on to the elderly (moochers) next.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Regardless, 93% of welfare fraud is committed by the vendors, NOT the recipients.

It really is a waste of time and money to drug test the recipients. If you are worried about your tax dollars, start looking to investigate the vendors.

BOOM That is what I am saying
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

OMG please tell me you're joking. "Poor" Americans have no idea what real poverty is. Please stop trying to sell me on the idea that their lives suck, so they should get free cigarettes, alcohol, and donuts. When they are dying of lung cancer, liver disease, or diabetes because of all the cigs, booze, and junk food, should the evil rich still have to pay for their health care?

I vote that we get rid of all the warning labels and nanny state legislation and let natural selection run its course.

I'm not saying that my life has sucked more than anyone else, but when my family of 4, then 5 including my mother, lost our house due to a fire and we were homeless for months with NO help whatsoever, yes, I know what being a poor American felt like and it sucked! You have no right to judge. You just sound ignorant and *****y.
  • whierd
    Options
    I think there needs to be more education. I think there should be required education for welfare and food stamps. It should not be a lifestyle, it should be a temporary help for a bad situation. The only way to better the situation is through education. I would rather my tax dollars go to improving the situations of people that are in the system than to just providing a "hand out". Teach money management, teach life skills, teach health and fitness, help them help themselves get out of the system.
    Not willing to learn these things then you shouldn't be handed any assistance. There are always circumstances for why people can't do this but there is a huge difference between can't and won't. A good example is... my employer expects me to do my job in order to pay me. I don't do my job... I don't get paid. I have to get a new job and I have to agree to be tested for drugs in order to be hired.

Fun fact: Most states welfare programs require the recipient to be actively seeking work and some already offer job skills classes.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think food stamps should be structured exactly like the WIC program. You can only buy what's on the approved list. It might be good incentive for people to get their own money so they can buy what they want. Win-win.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    , you can feed a family of 4 for like $5

enlighten me please

Me too because the average cost per person per month is usually around $100, and that's pretty low in my opinion. Which is what..a little over $3.00 a day? Yeah, not happening. Almost impossible to feed my 3 boys each only $3.00 of healthy food A DAY.
  • whierd
    Options
    Regardless, 93% of welfare fraud is committed by the vendors, NOT the recipients.

It really is a waste of time and money to drug test the recipients. If you are worried about your tax dollars, start looking to investigate the vendors.

BOOM That is what I am saying

You mean like the stores who mark up prices on WIC items and shady neighborhood liquor stores who "purchase" food stamps in exchange for cash?
  • samanthabeever1610
    Options
    it wouldn't work who would decide what u can and cannot and buy with the food stamps? i mean if u can only buy fresh food, u would need other money for store cupboard ie flour,tea coffee and dare i say it sugar??? plus flour,marg, eggs and a bit of sugar make a very tasty n very naughty cake yum yum. also i tend to eat well fresh food/meat ect i just eat way to much of it !! plus if u look back to worldwar2 when food was rationed people found ways round that to get the things they wanted/needed so people would find ways round it maybe just maybe the gov needs to tackle the root problem n not try n solve it with a plaster. i dont know better education, starting with physical activity everyday not once a week make it routine so when they leave school will have a physical routine all ready imbedded and access to leisure centers with gyms that dont cost the earth to join and that are open at hours that suit people lifestyles i know if i could afford it and there were activities for my children to do at the same time i would go. i loved playing hockey netball ect at school not once i have i played since leaving maybe organizing local team sports would be good to just for fun and for all abilities , i dont know these just top of my head but i dont think restricting what someone can buy is really the answer.
  • AmyFett
    Options
    It amazes me how much arrogance and ignorance is in this forum lol. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE GETS FOOD STAMPS, does not mean they're not working! Not everyone on them is abusing the system sucking it dry. Go after the people who don't work and have 12 kids and live on free medicaid, food, and money. Not lump everyone in together.

My husband works 60+ hours a week most weeks and we get a little help every month in food stamps. We'd need help paying for daycare if I worked, so what are we supposed to do? I'm busting my *kitten* making straight A's in college to get off this help. We're only on it because of something awful that happened 2 years ago and it was the only help we were offered after losing everything we ever had in our lives.
  • whierd
    Options
    , you can feed a family of 4 for like $5

enlighten me please

Me too because the average cost per person per month is usually around $100, and that's pretty low in my opinion. Which is what..a little over $3.00 a day? Yeah, not happening. Almost impossible to feed my 3 boys each only $3.00 of healthy food A DAY.

I consider $100 to be a good baseline amount. It can be adjusted from there for regional pricing and special dietary needs.
  • Niivsmom
    Niivsmom Posts: 145
    Options
    I don't even like the idea of foodstamps. i like our welfare system in Canada where you get your cheque and make your own spending decisions. No embarrassment of stamps and it avoids the judgmental *kitten* from knowing that you are shopping with government assistance. Overall when people make their own decisions based on their preferences we are more productive.
    So no way to limiting what foods people can buy with food stamps. Everyone should be treated with dignity and respect and from Americans on assistance who I have conversed with online, they don't get that. :(

I agree. Also, the amount of SNAP given is not enough to buy entirely wholesome foods for your family and keep them fed for the whole month. Unfortunately, in order to make the money last people need to make choices and the cheaper stuff is not always the healthiest.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    We just spent $8 on grapes! Thats at least two bags of chips I could've bought, or 6 chocolate bars.

Healthier food will help the poor because they probably also can't afford the dentist for their rotting, junk food teeth. Also, helps with medical bills, less people with diabeties that can't be treated because they don't have money (in the US, our healthcare is better).
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I know people who sell their food stamps for half price to any willing buyer (usually other family members who dont qualify but want to cut their grocery bill). This gives them the cash they need to buy cigarettes, beer etc. That kind of negates the idea that making junk food more expensive so their $ goes less far moot... to some people cigarettes are more important than food. For others, that twinkie is worth it I guess.

I am of the mind that people who seriously need help buying groceries would be HAPPY to get actual food. Forget the stamps. Start more food pantries where qualified people "work" a few hours in the pantry in exchange for a bag of groceries (rice, beans, etc) to take home or even hot meals already prepared, depending on family size etc. It should be temporary while they get help working out a long term strategy. The pantry can also offer help and instructions on preparing the food, and offer help to those who dont have a place to prepare it.

Help people, but dont hand them cash and hope they do what is right. Many people (certainly not all, but a definite population) got where they are - needing handouts - because of poor decision making skills in their lives or poor priorities. Give them food, education, and tools to learn to make the right decisions with the help they do get and help them find a way to not need it forever.

I like you :flowerforyou:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be allowed to purchase drinks (except milk or milk substitute--- not even "fruit juice") with food stamps. I don't think you should be able to purchase convenience foods with them, or candy, or chips etc. I don't care if the person is obese or not, Food stamps should be for the purchase of NOURISHING foods.

I get SOOOO annoyed when people make the problem about "obesity". Obesity is one consequence of poor eating.. but there are many MANY thin or so called "healthy weight" individuals out there with clogged arteries, diabetes, fatty liver and excess visceral fat.
  • happygerbera
    Options
    I think they should make the price of healthier foods more affordable. Its far cheaper to eat sausages, potatoes, eggs, fried foods etc than premium mince, veges fruit etc.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    At one point in Texas (and I *kitten*-u-me other states) you couldn't buy deli-prepared items such as fried-chicken and such. It's easy to control what items are eligible. The computer/barcode is programmed for such. I'm not sure making someone's choice for them is the answer though. The politicians aren't going to do it regardless of what we think anyway.

My Dad used to shop at a local market that would sell you an uncooked "kit" for say a burger and fries. Uncooked = you can use food stamps. Then you could walk over to the counter and they'd cook it for free.
  • bakenatj
    Options
    It amazes me how much arrogance and ignorance is in this forum lol. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE GETS FOOD STAMPS, does not mean they're not working! Not everyone on them is abusing the system sucking it dry. Go after the people who don't work and have 12 kids and live on free medicaid, food, and money. Not lump everyone in together.

My husband works 60+ hours a week most weeks and we get a little help every month in food stamps. We'd need help paying for daycare if I worked, so what are we supposed to do? I'm busting my *kitten* making straight A's in college to get off this help. We're only on it because of something awful that happened 2 years ago and it was the only help we were offered after losing everything we ever had in our lives.

I don't think people have a problem with charity. People like you who need help for a limited time is fine. It's the ones that live off the system that need to be eliminated. The problem when you give money, or stamps with monetary value, there will be instances where it is misused. Greed and fraud is a reality, and I think by handing the people in need food and not money is a better idea.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't even like the idea of foodstamps. i like our welfare system in Canada where you get your cheque and make your own spending decisions. No embarrassment of stamps and it avoids the judgmental *kitten* from knowing that you are shopping with government assistance. Overall when people make their own decisions based on their preferences we are more productive.
    So no way to limiting what foods people can buy with food stamps. Everyone should be treated with dignity and respect and from Americans on assistance who I have conversed with online, they don't get that. :(

So they get cash for being lazy? Yea I bet this doesn't get abused!
  • AmyFett
    Options

I don't think people have a problem with charity. People like you who need help for a limited time is fine. It's the ones that live off the system that need to be eliminated. The problem when you give money, or stamps with monetary value, there will be instances where it is misused. Greed and fraud is a reality, and I think by handing the people in need food and not money is a better idea.

I agree completely people abuse it. I know people that do! But I hate being lumped into those assclowns that do abuse it. It's not fair. My husband and I are hard-working and something horrible happened to us and we need help. THAT'S what the assistance is there for.

Oh and being called lazy for receiving some help... Yeah that's awesome.
This discussion has been closed.