Obesity and Welfare

Options

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If anyone had worked with the poor or homeless, you know that these people usually have very little joy in life and need their cigs and booze and donuts much more than average or rich people. From a certain social perspective I am finding inhuman to regulate their life which already sucks (and usually lacks any perspective).

OMG please tell me you're joking. "Poor" Americans have no idea what real poverty is. Please stop trying to sell me on the idea that their lives suck, so they should get free cigarettes, alcohol, and donuts. When they are dying of lung cancer, liver disease, or diabetes because of all the cigs, booze, and junk food, should the evil rich still have to pay for their health care?

I vote that we get rid of all the warning labels and nanny state legislation and let natural selection run its course.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    i think that they should only be able to purchase healthy foods like milk, eggs, potatoes, veggies, fruits, breads, beans, meat and stuff of that nature (no pop, candy, or compleate junk foods) i also think they should be tested for drugs and have to do UAs to show they arnt on any drugs (if your on welfare and doing drugs why are u spending what money you do have on drugs instead of food)

this^^^^
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    In my town, there's a Farmer's Market deal where if you have children and are on EBT, you get $50 worth of produce for $25 on EBT. It's pretty sweet for us poor families attempting to watch their health.

I work in mental health care. Not only does this keep me below the poverty line, but it also has me advocating for a handful of individuals who are much more disadvantaged than I am. I spend a lot of time in the Food Stamps office lines for my work, and yes, MOST of the other people in line with me are morbidly obese.

It would be nice if there were easier to access programs for healthy eating than the Farmer's Market one I mentioned. Most of these people can't afford the transportation or the time off work to attend the market, and I'll guarantee none of them have heard of the program.

A gym discount would be nice.

But restricting use isn't a very good idea, from a social work perspective. The majority of people on Food Stamps are either full-time workers in low-wage jobs trying to support families ( like myself ) or they are people with physical and mental disabilities. Cheap, prepackaged, easy-to-prepare or ready-to-eat meals are the only things most of my clients are able to utilize in their daily lives. They'd be unable to prepare (wash, cut, cook, consume) raw produce, meat, or grains.

Do they need help to be healthy? YOU BET. Is restricting EBT purchases a viable way to do it? **** NO.
    Agreed! People here food stamps and government asst and automatically thing people with drug problems being lazy and not working. As a teacher in a low income area I know most families do the best they can with so little...even if that means hamburger helper! I would rather my students come fed...even if on cheaper processed foods than no food at all!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    And if you don't have a car, and the closest place to buy a gallon of milk is a gas station?

If you can make it to a gas station you can probably make it to a grocery store.

And probably is good enough for you?

Listen, sorry if i'm hitting too close to home for you. It sounds like I hit a nerve. I'm just saying, I don't believe people should be able to use food stamps to go to a gas station to buy pop and candy bars. And if you're buying milk at a gas station, why not drive a little further down the road and get it at a grocery store so you're not paying double for it.

Not everyone on welfare owns a car....I imagine some people walk to the gas station if its close by?
  • celestinha
    celestinha Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/08/obese-londoners-could-lose-welfare-benefits-if-they-dont-exercise/

Saw this story about Londoners, and got me thinking about Americans. Does anyone think that if you are getting government welfare, you should be at risk for losing welfare benefits if you are morbidly obese?

Also, should any foods be ineligible for purchase when on food stamps?

I personally believe the government shouldn't be involved in food stamps, but since we are, sweets and "junk food" should not be allowed for purchase. I would propose only items that represent a substantial nutrient intake in the food chart (lean meats, whole grains {Exception if person has allergies}, milk, yogurt, cheese, fruits, veggies, beans, etc.)

What do you all think? I want to hear everyone's viewpoint on this.

NOTE: Everyone may not have the same opinion, but please do not denigrate a person for their views. Also, if you wish to discuss this, but are shy to share your view, a PM is always welcome.

Lol, I think it's somewhat amusing that you say the government shouldn't be involved in food stamps considering they're the ones giving the money out to people.

I actually think it's a good idea. I think sweets and junk food shouldn't be allowed to be purchased with food stamps, because they aren't necessities. You don't *need* cake to live and you don't *need* candy, chips or pop. If the government is the one giving people the money, they are absolutely entitled to say what they can and can't spend it on. I'm all for more control over food stamps.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    As long as you can purchase alcohol, cigarettes and guns, it would be really strange to put a ban on like sugar wouldn't it?
    I'm confused. You can't buy alcohol, cigarettes, or guns with food stamps.

You can with state cash aide.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I don't even like the idea of foodstamps. i like our welfare system in Canada where you get your cheque and make your own spending decisions. No embarrassment of stamps and it avoids the judgmental *kitten* from knowing that you are shopping with government assistance. Overall when people make their own decisions based on their preferences we are more productive.
    So no way to limiting what foods people can buy with food stamps. Everyone should be treated with dignity and respect and from Americans on assistance who I have conversed with online, they don't get that. :(

Me too! I never understood just what Americans are really talking aobut when they mention 'Food Stamps"..It sounds like a horrible system. and very degrading. .what is the point of that? Just give them the money. IT's their life.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Most lower income neighborhoods in the US do not have fruits and veggies available. I live in a lower middle income neighborhood and the local supermarket has a limited selection, at higher prices than the same chain a few miles down the road. There is no butcher, just some prepacked meats, and no deli. We spend the extra money on gas to go where there are better choices, but many of our neighbors are seniors who walk or ride their scooters. Even among the young families, many would have to take the bus to get to the other stores, which makes it hard to get a full week's worth of groceries for a family. I honestly have no idea why the ones with cars still use that store

The accessibility of fresh, healthy foods is a real problem for many low income people in America. I know here in Chicago there are whole areas that are considered food deserts because they don't have proper grocery stores. Convenience stores are the options for people with limited mobility, lack of funds for public transportation, etc. This is not an uncommon problem.

It is my guess that the majority of people on food stamps don't want to be, but are out of necessity. I can understand that their food choices may not always be the same as yours, but should you skip pizza and ice cream for your daughter's birthday just because food stamps are paying for it? Don't let the poor choices of a percentage reflect on everyone.

Those who live well below the poverty line and who rely on government assistance to feed themselves and their families should not be considered as inferior. How many of us are only one or two paychecks away from being their ourselves?
  • mnharrell
    mnharrell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Really? My tax dollars pay for people to have those things (guns, etc.)??? I think NOT!
    If the government is "giving" MY hard earned money to help other people, then there should be rules. It is just common sense. Otherwise abuse will abound. (Abuse already occurs and the more limitations we place on "free" assistance the more likely we mitigate the abuse.)

If the government got out of the charity game, then individuals, churches and other LOCAL organizations could decide who gets help. Handling programs locally is yet another method to help mitigate abuse. The government was never designed to be our "night in shining armour". It fails each and every time. It is just too big and too far removed from the people involved. You would know that if you have ever been through a major disaster! (Yes, I have.)

That is my 2 cents worth.
  • CandyDiehardBAMF
    CandyDiehardBAMF Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Having had both WIC and food stamps, making food stamps work like WIC would suck for you, the cashier, and the people behind you in line because it would be done by paper. I don't think there would be a way to allow only certain foods electronically, and food stamps are now electronic on a card.

Also, people already sell their food stamps for cash and would do so even more if restricted. I live in an area with lots of poverty and see this going down all the time. You can get a lot of food stamps for $40.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think that there is a lot of good in SNAP, but I also think that there's a decent amount of abuse and waste. Personally, I do think that there should be significant limits on what you can buy through the program. I don't think it should be as restrictive as WIC, but it definitely should move that direction.

I think there should also be required health/wellness/food education, even though that means it would cost the taxpayers more in the short term.
    I like this idea.
  • bkw2488
    bkw2488 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not all healthy food is expensive. It’s all about shopping SMART! I have six kids and my house is not filled with boxed food and junk. There’s fruits, nuts, yogurt, etc. I can feed my family of 8 on $500-$700 a month ( I am not on food stamps) and my friend gets almost double that on food stamps.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't even like the idea of foodstamps. i like our welfare system in Canada where you get your cheque and make your own spending decisions. No embarrassment of stamps and it avoids the judgmental *kitten* from knowing that you are shopping with government assistance. Overall when people make their own decisions based on their preferences we are more productive.
    So no way to limiting what foods people can buy with food stamps. Everyone should be treated with dignity and respect and from Americans on assistance who I have conversed with online, they don't get that. :(

Well then you can buy alcohol, drugs and guns in Canada with Welfare money.
  • committowalk
    committowalk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In my town, there's a Farmer's Market deal where if you have children and are on EBT, you get $50 worth of produce for $25 on EBT. It's pretty sweet for us poor families attempting to watch their health.

I work in mental health care. Not only does this keep me below the poverty line, but it also has me advocating for a handful of individuals who are much more disadvantaged than I am. I spend a lot of time in the Food Stamps office lines for my work, and yes, MOST of the other people in line with me are morbidly obese.

It would be nice if there were easier to access programs for healthy eating than the Farmer's Market one I mentioned. Most of these people can't afford the transportation or the time off work to attend the market, and I'll guarantee none of them have heard of the program.

A gym discount would be nice.

But restricting use isn't a very good idea, from a social work perspective. The majority of people on Food Stamps are either full-time workers in low-wage jobs trying to support families ( like myself ) or they are people with physical and mental disabilities. Cheap, prepackaged, easy-to-prepare or ready-to-eat meals are the only things most of my clients are able to utilize in their daily lives. They'd be unable to prepare (wash, cut, cook, consume) raw produce, meat, or grains.

Do they need help to be healthy? YOU BET. Is restricting EBT purchases a viable way to do it? **** NO.

While I dislike the idea of people spending government money on junk food, I completely agree here. My dad is disabled and on Social Security Disability and due to his mental limitations, he is one of those people who would be unable prepare food. He can barely handle opening a can and heating it up.

That said - it really does annoy me when I go to people's houses who get food stamps (people who can handle preparing food) and all they have is candy, chips, ice cream, etc. They have way more food and junk then I could ever afford (before I started eating healthier).

I don't know what the answer is - but I don't think the answer is to completely restrict people's options and cut out convenience foods.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    And if you don't have a car, and the closest place to buy a gallon of milk is a gas station?

If you can make it to a gas station you can probably make it to a grocery store.

And probably is good enough for you?

Listen, sorry if i'm hitting too close to home for you. It sounds like I hit a nerve. I'm just saying, I don't believe people should be able to use food stamps to go to a gas station to buy pop and candy bars. And if you're buying milk at a gas station, why not drive a little further down the road and get it at a grocery store so you're not paying double for it.

It may be that you hit a nerve, but at the same time you are not addressing the question. IF you do not have a car, and ALL you need is a gallon of milk, SHOULD you be forced to walk or bus further than a local gas station to buy that SIMPLY because you accept food benefits?
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welfare should be a bag of rice and a bag of beans. If you can't get a job why should you eat high on the hog???

You're assuming people on welfare don't have jobs. You might want to research something called "the working poor".

^^^^^^^^^This!!!! I'm glad someone addressed this. Being on welfare does not mean people don't have jobs!!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of problems with most of things the government does, but giving food away is one of the least objectionable things they do.

Giving cash money to people, I'm a little less sanguine about that, but still not in the top 5 awful things gov does.
  • vblair77
    vblair77 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wow...this kind of hits home for me. I am a mother of two kids, usually a family of four (issues with the 4th right now)...that being said I have a good job and take good care of my family, my grocery budget is around $400/month for the 4 of us. Yes we eat out about once a week or so, but as far as foods I buy for the house its about $100 per week...often times less. I buy healthy foods...I do NOT buy donutes or sweets. Once in a while i'll get a small pack of cookies but that would be MAYBE once a month. My sister has two kids. Its just her and her two kids. She is on state aid (in Washington State, I know it varies by state!) and she receives OVER $450 per month in food benefits. She doesnt have a car so often times I drive her to the grocery store to do her shopping when I need to do mine. And it always amazes me at how much JUNK food she buys. Very little of anything healthy. Never any fresh fruits or veggies (tons of canned fruits though). Tons of chips, sodas, juices, cookies, ice cream...and she even gets on me for not allowing my kids to have the sweets her kids get. My kids are 9 and 13 and even they make comments about the amount of sweets. And her kids' teeth are rotting out of her mouth...seriously, the front 4 teeth are black. Its so sad! And it upsets me because she always runs out of food stamps by the 3rd week of the month (usually sooner) and then shes asking me to buy her food or take her to the food banks. I have tried to talk to her about her choices but she doesnt care. I fully believe its because she doesnt have to work for that money. She's chosen to remain unemployed for over 3 years, living in a house rent free owned by a bank that doesnt want to foreclose (it wasnt her house to start with either).
    My neice is the same way. She has 3 babies and a husband. The husband doesnt work, she does in fast food. they SELL thier food benefits to buy weed. THAT makes me angry.

I work hard to provide for my family as I believe most of us do. I dont have many examples of people on state aid in my life and I just HOPE my sister and my niece are a rare exception and not commonplace. But I DO feel that there should be limits on what they can buy. I dont think they need to be able to buy all the sweets and sodas...and I do feel drug testing should be enforced. I know of 5 kids that would benefit from these changes (all my nieces and nephews). :)
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I have NEVER heard of people on welfare buying GUNS. Must be the new rumor going around...amusing though.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This would actually be an easy fix. If you pay for certain items with food stamps, they cost you double. So a loaf of bread $1.00 and a loaf of jelly roll $10.00. See how far the stamps go then. This way you're not taking away what they want to buy, it's just going to cost them more.

Wow- I like this idea!! I actually like the original OP's idea too- I just don't think it will ever work. But, with WIC- there are certain items you can buy- specific, is that discriminatory? No- its for Women, Infant and Children nutrition. If Welfare became a nutritional program- that would be so much different. Yes people should pay out of pocket for extras- like potato chips or candy. This is not food- this is extra.
    Here is the sad point mentioned by one below- many who are on welfare are disabled- and can't cook, do much for themselves. But how many of them are disabled due to weight related issues. Could they get off disability by being forced to eat heathier? Also- yes love the idea of nutritional courses being a part of receiving benefits.

I have done the price comparisions- and it is cheaper to eat healthy. We may not be eating asparagus or artichokes, but carrots are cheap, so are potatoes. Bananas and apples relatively cheap.
    Remove sodas, chips, candy, all junk even for a month- try to eat healthy and see how far that $$ will go. But again- all about education, showing people how to shop- farmers markets are local and full of inexpensive produce- just have to shop the seasons.
    Reality is most don't want to give up this crap anymore than they want to give up smoking or drinking- and they want someone else to pay for their bad habits
This discussion has been closed.