why do people care that someone is fat?

Options
In all seriousness though..especially for women. Society REALLY cares about our weight. To the point it actually makes people angry when someone is fat. Why is this? why do they care so much..? it no way affects their life really...
FROM A BULLYING STANDPOINT

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    it no way affects their life really...

that is open for debate IMO. Whether "their" means the overweight person or the person doing the complaining.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    A lot of people are going to bring up health care.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    People not only check out each other's look but noticed how they also check out each other's wallets? What car you got, how much money you make, where you took your vacation, where you put your vote, what your house looks like.. anything is subject to constant criticism. It's how people are.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Its not just the weight its about how someone look in general. People spend way too much energie on judging people by looks. That is weight, tattoos,piercings, different nose or other features etc.

It sickens me sometimes, especialy the bullying going on at schools. Too bad im not at school anymore, i liked to beat up the bullies.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I really don't want to lose my diabetic, obese brother (whom I love dearly) any sooner than I have to. That's my answer anyway...
  • Fitstephy
    Options

those people can leave.
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't care
  • Fitstephy
    Options
    I really don't want to lose my diabetic, obese brother (whom I love dearly) any sooner than I have to. That's my answer anyway...

thats fine. I'm talking more from a bullying standpoint though.
  • 00sarah
    Options
    Oh, I see. I'm not a bully, but have been bullied, so that's not me!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

those people can leave.

But you asked.
  • amili045
    Options
    Well unfortunately (although this is completely not my opinion) society has a specific image of what beauty is and its unfortunately not overweight most of the time. People revere health and being overweight can be a source of health problems. Some get upset about the drain on health care systems but honestly a lot of things contribute to that. People who work hard to maintain themselves often don't understand those that don't. Loved ones get frustrated with friends/family that don't take care of themselves. You are right though, it really does get confusing when people get sooo upset.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been on a propeller plane and had somebody lie about their weight? That's why.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I find that people have the same reaction to bushy eyebrows, so it really isn't about healthcare.

People also it personally offensive that I choose to keep my skin clean, instead of smearing it with minerals and chemicals as soon as I wash it.

Basically, to some people, I am as offensive as the loud mouthed dude hollering profanities in the playground.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been on a propeller plane and had somebody lie about their weight? That's why.

b53b6321-b1dd-4205-9549-a40fc2d1ecba.jpg
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I care in a sympathetic way.
  • 00sarah
    Options

those people can leave.

But you asked.

Very true. See My ORIGINAL reply
  • amili045
    Options
    Its not just the weight its about how someone look in general. People spend way too much energie on judging people by looks. That is weight, tattoos,piercings, different nose or other features etc.

It sickens me sometimes, especialy the bullying going on at schools. Too bad im not at school anymore, i liked to beat up the bullies.

agreed
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It only bothers me if its somebody's child.....

Other than that live and let live. Just don't complain about it.
    Oh while your at it, a lot of people have anger against thin people as well.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

those people can leave.

LOL. Intolerance at it's finest. I have a question but you can only answer it with the answer I want. THUMBS UP, OP, BRAVO!
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

got judged alot growing up cause i got alot of piercings young and tatoos and just didnt look very nice. then when ppl would get to know me they were like holy **** your the compleate opposite of what i thought. dont judge a book by its cover..