why do people care that someone is fat?

Options

Replies

• RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I care in a sympathetic way.

That... and when I see someone who is REALLY fat, like REALLLLLY fat, I think to myself "WHY?? HOW??" I saw this woman the other day, probably around my age (I'm 28) who had to have been easily 350 pounds and her *kitten* was just so friggin' big, you could probably put a glass of water on it and it wouldn't fall off. Her thighs were just monstrous and bulgy everywhere. How does that happen?

Wow. Except for the age thing (add 10 years) you just discribed me before I started losing weight. And going by your ticker, with a starting weight of 300+, you weren't too far from it yourself, darlin. So you SHOULD be asking yourself WHY?? HOW??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    The only time I care if someone is obese/very overweight is if they are sitting beside me on a plane. Plane seats aren't built for comfort in the first place and having someone almost on top of you for a flight gets pretty tough. Other than that I welcome fat people because usually they are there to see me to help them lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Fitstephy
    Options
    I should edit my topic that this is directed towards a BULLYING standpoint. besides I already know everyones answer. FAT PEOPLE RUIN MY HEALTHCARE WAAH WAAH WAAH.

Intolerant and insensitive...and you were talking about bullying??? hmmmm....
    I don't think you know what bullying is...
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are going to bring up health care.

those people can leave.

LOL. Intolerance at it's finest. I have a question but you can only answer it with the answer I want. THUMBS UP, OP, BRAVO!

THIS. My answer wasn't suitable either

I also nicely told you I meant more from a bullying standpoint and it was ok for you to feel that way in your situation. thanks a lot though.

Oh thank goodness I have YOUR permission to have my feelings regarding my situation... Psht.
  • Webbygail
    Webbygail Posts: 116
    Options
    Being obese denotes weakness, and bullies go after the weak, easy targets.
    Check this out...
    Victim Fights Back
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfn4OxCPQs

This was the final time this boy was bullied by that kid.

HAHA i saw that. loved the mortal kombat remix of it
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness though..especially for women. Society REALLY cares about our weight. To the point it actually makes people angry when someone is fat. Why is this? why do they care so much..? it no way affects their life really...
    FROM A BULLYING STANDPOINT

cuz bullies pray on the weak...and they think fat people are weak because they can't even control how much they eat.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I should edit my topic that this is directed towards a BULLYING standpoint. besides I already know everyones answer. FAT PEOPLE RUIN MY HEALTHCARE WAAH WAAH WAAH.

I think the OP wants to know why people BULLY fat people (eg, scream 'fat cow' at total strangers), not why obesity is an issue. We know that obesity is an issue for many reasons, but why do people feel that is a justification to abuse obese people on a constant basis?

I agree with whoever posted earlier that fat people are an easier target, than, say, a really fit person. In most cases. But someone who bullies a fat person (ie, the namecalling etc) seems likely to namecall or pick on ANYONE who is different in some perceived way. The few bullies I recall from school didn't just pick on the overweight kid, they picked on the kid with glasses, braces, bad skin, greasy hair, taller than everyone else (that last description, minus the overweight part, actually describes me in 6th grade lol). It seems like some bullies do it to feel better about themselves, although I don't know how hurting others makes one feel better about themselves.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yeah, saying, "WAAH WAAH WAAH" at someone issuing a complaint or comment isn't something a bully has ever done. Ever.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    You're asking for honesty, because it's 'gross'... to be honest, I worked at hooters and serving overweight people fatty foods grossed me right out!

I can't eat with people who are overweight and make bad food choices because it creeps me out too.

Maybe I sound mean, but I can't help it!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Not sure. But one time someone told me that thin women don't like fat women because the thin ones work real hard to be thin and are wishing that they could eat more too, and they don't like it even more if the fat woman is happy and has a loving man in her life even though she doesn't give up all food to keep him. Not sure why men don't like fat women---maybe because the media and hollywood keeps telling them that only thin women are pretty? Some men are real offended when a fat woman likes them or asks them out--it's like they think less of themselves cause a fat woman actually thought she had a chance with them.--I don't know! But I wish people would not be so judgemental----I personally like a chunkier man. The women in my family are all fat---(well except for my Mom who was like this tiny little thing!) and I think we all pretty!

Ah yes, Hollywood, where the "fat" characters are usually within normal BMI limits, yet can't be loved until they get to the bottom of that range.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I think the OP wants to know why people BULLY fat people (eg, scream 'fat cow' at total strangers), not why obesity is an issue. We know that obesity is an issue for many reasons, but why do people feel that is a justification to abuse obese people on a constant basis?

The OP Posted the Waah waah waah - just to let you know. And now that it is clarified..okay. It wasn't before and telling people to get out and to put what they put up above is just as bad as the bullying she's talking about. It's a lack of respect and taking people's views into account.
  • Webbygail
    Webbygail Posts: 116
    Options

That... and when I see someone who is REALLY fat, like REALLLLLY fat, I think to myself "WHY?? HOW??" I saw this woman the other day, probably around my age (I'm 28) who had to have been easily 350 pounds and her *kitten* was just so friggin' big, you could probably put a glass of water on it and it wouldn't fall off. Her thighs were just monstrous and bulgy everywhere. How does that happen?

Wow....uh...so how do you feel, saying that, and knowing you were once less than 50 LBs away from being the same weight? o_O Because I just don't get how someone can say that, when they're in the same boat.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Insecurity.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options

You are joking, right?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

"Bullying is the use of force or coercion to abuse or intimidate others. The behavior can be habitual and involve an imbalance of social or physical power. It can include verbal harassment or threat, physical assault or coercion and may be directed repeatedly towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability."

I know what bullying is. I've had it happen to me.

A bully disrespects other's - whether due to physical appearance, lifestyle, disabilities, or just having a differing opinion.

You, OP, disrespected other's who provided answers and proceeded it "make light" of those answers. First off - you weren't specific at the time. Second - you than proceeded to bash the answers in regards to healthcare.

I wasn't saying you were really "bullying" others, but your lack of respect and attitude was just as bad as a bully's. :)
  • Elzecat
    Options
    You're asking for honesty, because it's 'gross'... to be honest, I worked at hooters and serving overweight people fatty foods grossed me right out!

I can't eat with people who are overweight and make bad food choices because it creeps me out too.

Great honesty, to be sure, but so glad I can add to the list of people I would NOT want to get to know on this site.
    Yikes.

PS You can "help" it if you truly wanted to--it's called compassion for others. :wink:
  • Elzecat
    Options

You are joking, right?

Sadly, I don't think she is. :huh:
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Great honesty, to be sure, but so glad I can add to the list of people I would NOT want to get to know on this site.
    Yikes.

PS You can "help" it if you truly wanted to--it's called compassion for others. :wink:

You said exactly what I was thinking. :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    In all seriousness though..especially for women. Society REALLY cares about our weight. To the point it actually makes people angry when someone is fat. Why is this? why do they care so much..? it no way affects their life really...
    FROM A BULLYING STANDPOINT

To answer your question now that you've clarified from the standpoint you are looking -

Bullying is usually done out of fear of change, the feeling of insecurities, learned behaviours, or trying to fit in by dominating a crowd, clique, etc and showing "their"power to negatively influence others into supporting them...etc. There are a lot of reasons, none good.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Bullies will always find something to not like.