If God gave you naturally large thighs listen up

Options

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm blessed with naturally large thighs...if that's how you're calling it. I was 220# not long ago...my thighs were *really* large then. Amazing how when you take off some body fat they just kinda start to slim out. Slowly...slowly.
    I'm the proud owner of 23" thighs right now...just this week I squatted 175-185#...and some random guy at the gym told my husband he was gonna hit on me (he didn't know I was married) and started to describe how "nice" he thought my legs were (in great detail). Total NSV, for sure. At any rate - I don't do cardio. I keep my legs nice and eh hem, "big" by squatting, deadlifting, doing weighted lunges...you know...all that weight lifting crap. And if they get bigger - so be it...but I'm pretty sure they aren't going to get much bigger, it's just a matter of fat coming off before I can have Erin Stern's or Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet's awesome legs.
    IMG_3696.jpg

WTG!! You look wonderful, well done!
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This is all personal preference. I disagree with your statements in regards to ditching lower body strength training.

You should not give out bad advice! And this....this is bad advice!

Oh, FYI- the elliptical is NOT weight lifting.

it's not bad advice at all. it depends on the fitness goals.

would you call a marathon runner (who does no weight lifting) a person who has no strength?

Every single marathon runner I know, does weight lift!
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    "I am sure it was part muscle, part fat. It doesn't matter b/c I still have a lovely muscular body and it is within my fitness goal.

I really admire women who lift heavy at the gym. I am on very friendly terms with them and they respect that my goals are different and don't hate on me when I tell them I don't do leg weights and keep them toned with endurance cardio.
    "

***********Again, its all personal preference and as long as you are happy, that's all that matters! Just don't give out advice that is not supported by any facts other than what YOUR goals are based off of!
    [/quote]

I never gave out any facts. I gave out what a personal trainer told me and my experience. I'm happy to share my experience b/c it' worked out great for me.
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have always had very large leg muscles (both thighs and calves) so I will remember this! I really don't need them to get any bigger than they already are...

DITTO!!!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How do I post a picture? I found one that I'm willing to use.

It needs to be online already in some form (photobucket, google drive, dropbox). Then you can right-click and hit "Copy image URL", then in the reply box hit CTR+C and put image tags around the link that shows up [ i m g]link.jpg[ / i m g ] without any of the spaces.

I was able to upload it in my profile. I know I'm wearing jeans, but I feel awkward posting too many pics of myself on a public internet forum.

Looking at your picture you're skinny and your legs are not even anywhere close to huge. even if they were two inches bigger they wouldn't be huge. Idk... it's strange that you think they were large...

I'm definitely not skinny...I'm 18% body fat and skinny is a very judgemental adjective to describe me. Personal trainers at the gym praise me for my hard work and dedication. I've had 2 kids and I'm 41.

More hate; now women are going to judge my body as "skinny"...

No one is hating on you. Get over yourself. If you can't handle opinions - especially ones that differ from what you probably wanted to hear - don't post on a public forum.
  • serapi
    Options
    This is all personal preference. I disagree with your statements in regards to ditching lower body strength training.

would you call a marathon runner (who does no weight lifting) a person who has no strength?

and so do I. why so much judging?
  • serapi
    Options
    How do I post a picture? I found one that I'm willing to use.

It needs to be online already in some form (photobucket, google drive, dropbox). Then you can right-click and hit "Copy image URL", then in the reply box hit CTR+C and put image tags around the link that shows up [ i m g]link.jpg[ / i m g ] without any of the spaces.

I was able to upload it in my profile. I know I'm wearing jeans, but I feel awkward posting too many pics of myself on a public internet forum.

Looking at your picture you're skinny and your legs are not even anywhere close to huge. even if they were two inches bigger they wouldn't be huge. Idk... it's strange that you think they were large...

I'm definitely not skinny...I'm 18% body fat and skinny is a very judgemental adjective to describe me. Personal trainers at the gym praise me for my hard work and dedication. I've had 2 kids and I'm 41.

More hate; now women are going to judge my body as "skinny"...

No one is hating on you. Get over yourself. If you can't handle opinions - especially ones that differ from what you probably wanted to hear - don't post on a public forum.

back at you!
  • 16Momma16
    16Momma16 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    OP , I am glad that you are happy with your body. There are too many women who have a poor body image and it is refreshing to see a woman who does not. You will find that the public forums have a lot of people who say they are trying to help. Some of their advice is actually good but it is the rude condescending way it is presented that makes all that they have to say useless! It is because they believe offending will open someones eyes. I hope you won't let this experience turn you off of mfp. As long as you are healthy and happy good for you!

Did you read the threads? If we are haters for putting our opinions out there, then what is the OP for calling all of us catty itches?

I am pretty sure the op is reacting to all of the comments that are done in a NOT very nice way. It is okay to give advice but some of the advice is presented in a very RUDE manner. Of course a person is going to get touchy and attack back. I just think if people would present advice in a respectful way they would get a better response. Just my opinion.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Yeah..I've never met one that doesn't. And some do comparable leg workouts to bodybuilders. It's pretty interesting.
  • islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the trainer. When I worked out when I was in my best shape 15 years ago my thighs from even light squats and the treadmill looked hot but... Try finding pants that were a size 14-16 for a size 8-10 waist. At that rate nothing fit me well and I looked terrible in work clothes and jeans.

Its real life and lets be honest most of us don't have the money to custom make all of our clothes. And we don't all live in work out shorts and yoga pants. That was too much extra fabric to tailor(I tried) They honestly recommended paying them to make me something from scratch to fit my measurements.

You can tone just by walking and doing leg lifts with no weight for the butt and thighs without resorting to squats that in my case only bulk me up, and at times make me look fatter.

Each to their own everyone has a different body type. Sometimes trial and error are the only things we can do to find what works.
  • serapi
    Options
    OP , I am glad that you are happy with your body. There are too many women who have a poor body image and it is refreshing to see a woman who does not. You will find that the public forums have a lot of people who say they are trying to help. Some of their advice is actually good but it is the rude condescending way it is presented that makes all that they have to say useless! It is because they believe offending will open someones eyes. I hope you won't let this experience turn you off of mfp. As long as you are healthy and happy good for you!

Did you read the threads? If we are haters for putting our opinions out there, then what is the OP for calling all of us catty itches?

I am pretty sure the op is reacting to all of the comments that are done in a NOT very nice way. It is okay to give advice but some of the advice is presented in a very RUDE manner. Of course a person is going to get touchy and attack back. I just think if people would present advice in a respectful way they would get a better response. Just my opinion.

^^this
  • serapi
    Options

Yeah..I've never met one that doesn't. And some do comparable leg workouts to bodybuilders. It's pretty interesting.

not accurate. serious marathon runners will go easy on the weights b/c every pound slows their time a few seconds. They get just enough muscle to kick butt and have great time.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Count yourself lucky! You'll be able to carry more weight while still wearing a smaller pant size. Your greater weight will allow you to eat more calories at maintenance, and it is healthier than belly fat!

I have the opposite problem. No matter what I do my legs look like sticks. They have nice muscle definition for what is there, but their skinny size just makes my midsection look bigger!
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Not judging! It doesn't matter to me if you weight lift or not! I just don't want women to see a post like this and get scared away from lower body weight lifting. That is all!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Not judging! It doesn't matter to me if you weight lift or not! I just don't want women to see a post like this and get scared away from lower body weight lifting. That is all!

Exactly.
  • serapi
    Options
    I totally agree with the trainer. When I worked out when I was in my best shape 15 years ago my thighs from even light squats and the treadmill looked hot but... Try finding pants that were a size 14-16 for a size 8-10 waist. At that rate nothing fit me well and I looked terrible in work clothes and jeans.

Its real life and lets be honest most of us don't have the money to custom make all of our clothes. And we don't all live in work out shorts and yoga pants. That was too much extra fabric to tailor(I tried) They honestly recommended paying them to make me something from scratch to fit my measurements.

You can tone just by walking and doing leg lifts with no weight for the butt and thighs without resorting to squats that in my case only bulk me up, and at times make me look fatter.

Each to their own everyone has a different body type. Sometimes trial and error are the only things we can do to find what works.

good for you!

I still cannot wear skinny jeans b/c my thighs are wide compared to my waist (in jean sizes). I don't mind b/c I'm very content with my body as is.

After I had my kids, I felt frumpy and undesirable. I have worked for 2 years to get this body back and I ain't letting some negative remarks change my views and share what worked for me.
  • serapi
    Options

Exactly.

it's up to the woman to decide what is best for her and her fitness goals. I'm giving women options.
  • serapi
    Options
    Count yourself lucky! You'll be able to carry more weight while still wearing a smaller pant size. Your greater weight will allow you to eat more calories at maintenance, and it is healthier than belly fat!

I have the opposite problem. No matter what I do my legs look like sticks. They have nice muscle definition for what is there, but their skinny size just makes my midsection look bigger!

I eat 2100 calories a day at age 41 for maintenance. love it love it loveit!!! I can eat whatever I want.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I found out the key for myself to get the nice muscular lean legs that I've always wanted. I am a mesomorph and I develop leg muscles very quickly, but my upper body is very weak.

I learned to do absolutely no leg exercises and now my legs look awesome. My legs always looked fat to me. I tried the lunges, squats, etc. and my legs would just look fatter. A personal trainer told me to stop and just get my leg workouts from jogging, elliptical, etc. I did it and now my thighs are 20 inches and I can fit into my jeans. I love it!

Just throwing this out there for women who have genetically enhanced legs.

I'd like to know what your legs were before you stopped working them out. Because mine are 21 and I don't think mine are big at all. And I'm 5'1'' I LOVE my big thighs/@ss, and so do a LOT of other people :wink:

I lost 2 inches from my thighs in the last 4 months.

Good for you for enjoying your body! I think it's great!

It's really sad that those two inches were probably muscle and not fat... I hate that for you.... as muscle does so many great things for your body.

I am sure it was part muscle, part fat. It doesn't matter b/c I still have a lovely muscular body and it is within my fitness goal.

I really admire women who lift heavy at the gym. I am on very friendly terms with them and they respect that my goals are different and don't hate on me when I tell them I don't do leg weights and keep them toned with endurance cardio.

You still don't get it. Cardio does not "tone" your legs. Being in a consistent caloric deficit supported by a diet that preserves your muscle is what "tones" all of your body.

Nobody here has a problem with you personally. What sucks is that you are continuing to spout this nonsense as gospel when you very clearly have made no effort to educate yourself about how the human body works. All you are doing is feeding into the perception that women should avoid weight training if they don't want to look bulky. You hide behind this "if your goal is huge muscles, then good for you, but I don't want huge muscles, so I don't lift weights" facade to avoid taking responsibility for the fact that you've waded into the deep end and don't know how to swim.

If you are eating at a caloric deficit, you are NOT going to gain ANY appreciable amount of muscle no matter how much weight you lift. The absolute best you can do is hang on to the muscle you have and get rid of the fat on top of it. THAT is called "toning." So, for the love of all that is holy, stop telling people that if they lift heavy weights, their legs are going to be large.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine a trainer of any value telling a person to only do weights on one portion of their body let alone not explain that any girth increases you get while on a calorie deficit due to strength training is from temporary storage of glycogen and water, not from any significant gains of fat-free mass.

P.S. Your upper body doesn't seem to gaining any substantial gains of fat-free mass while lifting it seems...You may not notice the slight increase in girth with your arms post-workout since they constitute far less muscle mass compared to the upper leg area.