If God gave you naturally large thighs listen up

Options

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

OP isn't going to have muscular, defined thighs like the Crossfitters or Figure/BB physiques because she doesn't train that way. She probably looks more like an aerobics instructor or marathoner...slender with little muscle definition but probably not unshapely in any way.

This makes me laugh. I'm a marathoner (I've run 6 fulls and am in training for #7) and I've got 23" thighs. I love my legs, they are strong and they have carried me through thousands of miles of training. I don't look like your typical string-bean runner, but then again I lift heavy weights as well so maybe I just don't fit nicely into any specific category.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

OP isn't going to have muscular, defined thighs like the Crossfitters or Figure/BB physiques because she doesn't train that way. She probably looks more like an aerobics instructor or marathoner...slender with little muscle definition but probably not unshapely in any way.

This makes me laugh. I'm a marathoner (I've run 6 fulls and am in training for #7) and I've got 23" thighs. I love my legs, they are strong and they have carried me through thousands of miles of training. I don't look like your typical string-bean runner, but then again I lift heavy weights as well so maybe I just don't fit nicely into any specific category.

Bolded where the difference lies.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Depending on your height, 23' isn't incredibly thick. Also depends on your body composition and genetic predisposition. Also how you train in the off-season, how you run (intervals versus something like a Boston qualifier who literally runs every mile).

Let's not take everything personally because we're all special snowflakes. I wasn't specifically referring to YOUR thighs.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I have thick thighs (21.5) and big calves (14.5) and I want them to look like Erin Sterns in this picture. My calves are already pretty good looking but I need to work on my thighs.

erinstern_zps734a3597.jpg

Please tell me you're like, 4ft tall? When did 21.5" thighs become thick? What are the categories *over* thick? Asking for a friend.

it's thick if your hips are slimmer than 43". "thickness" is about how it looks, not the measurements themselves. it's not like people have to run around with tape measures to prove how thick their legs look :laugh:

would you consider a 25" waist paired with 20" thighs thick? since we're going by some arbitrary proportioning here.

I have a 37-inch waist and my left thigh is 17.63 inches but my right is 28,5 since that's the one in front when I do lunges. :glasses:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have thick thighs (21.5) and big calves (14.5) and I want them to look like Erin Sterns in this picture. My calves are already pretty good looking but I need to work on my thighs.

Please tell me you're like, 4ft tall? When did 21.5" thighs become thick? What are the categories *over* thick? Asking for a friend.

it's thick if your hips are slimmer than 43". "thickness" is about how it looks, not the measurements themselves. it's not like people have to run around with tape measures to prove how thick their legs look :laugh:

would you consider a 25" waist paired with 20" thighs thick? since we're going by some arbitrary proportioning here.

I have a 37-inch waist and my left thigh is 17.63 inches but my right is 28,5 since that's the one in front when I do lunges. :glasses:

I know I shouldn't ask..I have a feeling I shouldn't ask..I really shouldn't....but... Why do you do lunges on one side?
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options

I remember it as if it were only yesterday... I was in Heaven waiting in the Thigh Gap line, which was as long as the line for the ladies room on nickel beer night and I really just wanted to get the being born part over already so I said, "Screw it, I'm moving over to Thicker Thighs and Big Booty... it was a ghost town over there and God was like, "Here you go. You'll thank me later." He was so right, that God! I call his name sometimes when I'm busy enjoying them.

Sarcasm at its VERY finest!! I see why we are friends!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

nope i wouldnt consider it because i haven't even thought it out nor do i care enough to. i'll leave that to you

my point, was that a lot of the discussions around what's considered thick has more to do with LOOKS then actual measurements.

so if someone has relatively (i'll leave it up to you to decide on the actual numbers since,once again, you seem keen to do so :wink: ) slimmer hips to the size of their thighs, then it's pretty obvious that they're thighs will appear to be thicker than someone else with larger hips.

for instance i have a friend who's hips are wider than mine, thighs are the same size, but her legs looks scrawnier (she also has a thigh gap) than mine. same thigh size yet my legs have been called thick but hers hasnt.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I know I shouldn't ask..I have a feeling I shouldn't ask..I really shouldn't....but... Why do you do lunges on one side?

Was this facetiousness not obvious enough? I'd be in serious trouble if there was a 10-inch disparity between my legs, let alone a 37-inch waist with my body fat where it is. I'd be pregnant with edema in one leg lol
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Depending on your height, 23' isn't incredibly thick. Also depends on your body composition and genetic predisposition. Also how you train in the off-season, how you run (intervals versus something like a Boston qualifier who literally runs every mile).

Let's not take everything personally because we're all special snowflakes. I wasn't specifically referring to YOUR thighs.

Not taking in personally...just pointing out that not every marathoner looks like one, per say. I'm short (5'5") and I'm within 10 minutes of qualifying for Boston (hopefully this is my year). I meant it more as instead of hating your thighs (or whatever body part), maybe come to a place where you can accept, love and embrace the body God gave you and instead of trying to force your body into a size/type you think it should be, just work with what you've got and be the best you can be.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Not taking in personally...just pointing out that not every marathoner looks like one, per say. I'm short (5'5") and I'm within 10 minutes of qualifying for Boston (hopefully this is my year). I meant it more as instead of hating your thighs (or whatever body part), maybe come to a place where you can accept, love and embrace the body God gave you and instead of trying to force your body into a size/type you think it should be, just work with what you've got and be the best you can be.

If you're short at 5'5, am I non-existent at 5'0? :ohwell: I think 'short' and 'thick' are poor words to use since they're so subjective.

Anyway, no one is hating their thighs. In fact, I didn't even have an opinion on anyone's thighs. I was just explaining the physiology behind the fact that OP probably wasn't doing a great harm by taking a break off resistance training. I had to stop squatting for 6 months a couple years ago because I did a BioDex test that showed I was actually at risk for injury because my quad strength was about 3x greater than my hamstring strength. If OP wants to increase her T1 fibers, more power to her.
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    25252663.jpg
    Yup
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling of muscle atrophy, makes me feel sexy!

pretty much what I was thinking.

Same here. I once had "genetically" enhanced legs ... when I was 100 lbs overweight. I still had "genetically" enhanced legs after losing 70 lbs on a cardio-only regimen. Then I wised up and started deadlifting and squatting and eating a kick-*kitten* diet full of lean protein and healthy fats, and magically my "genetically" enhanced legs got smaller and tighter.

well that wouldn't give every woman the same results. don't judge b/c you sound silly.

Um, yes, it would. Your body does not defy the principles of thermodynamics. You are not a unique, special snowflake.

Once and for all (I hope), you don't get "toned" from running or swimming or biking or lifting weights. You get it from having a relatively low body fat percentage, and that comes from a consistent caloric deficit combined with some form of resistance training and a diet that lends itself to muscle preservation.

You are the one who sounds silly with all your nonsense about having genetically enhanced thighs that can be somehow shrunk by simply not exercising them. That's about as dumb as saying you can turn your genetically blue eyes into brown ones by keeping them closed for 47 days. If your genetics have dictated that you have 30-inch thighs, YOU COULDN'T CHANGE THAT. Since we know you CAN, in fact, change the size of your thighs by exercising and eating a proper diet, we know the size of our thighs is NOT genetic. Good Lord, take a biology class.

what did you do...cut and past from a web site?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The OP isn't saying to lie in bed, bind your legs and let them atrophy. She's still giving them a workout. People on this thread are pretty judgmental. Everyone has their own ideal of beauty, and her wanting slimmer thighs isn't wrong.
  • serapi
    Options
    If God gave you naturally large thighs listen up

I remember it as if it were only yesterday... I was in Heaven waiting in the Thigh Gap line, which was as long as the line for the ladies room on nickel beer night and I really just wanted to get the being born part over already so I said, "Screw it, I'm moving over to Thicker Thighs and Big Booty... it was a ghost town over there and God was like, "Here you go. You'll thank me later." He was so right, that God! I call his name sometimes when I'm busy enjoying them.

well, I'm happy with my thighs too. cheers to that!
  • serapi
    Options
    I found out the key for myself to get the nice muscular lean legs that I've always wanted. I am a mesomorph and I develop leg muscles very quickly, but my upper body is very weak.

I learned to do absolutely no leg exercises and now my legs look awesome. My legs always looked fat to me. I tried the lunges, squats, etc. and my legs would just look fatter. A personal trainer told me to stop and just get my leg workouts from jogging, elliptical, etc. I did it and now my thighs are 20 inches and I can fit into my jeans. I love it!

Just throwing this out there for women who have genetically enhanced legs.
    I've trained clients who were mesomorphs with big legs with weight training for legs and their legs slimmed down too. It will depend on what goal one will want to reach. Some may just want to get into jeans. Others may want "harder" looking legs in bikini's. One size doesn't fit all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I have nice hard looking legs also. I look great in a bikini. It worked for me and I'm so happy that I stopped squatting and dead lifting.

I'm 41 too. I think people are just jealous.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    hmmm. I think normally i'd jump in and say that weighlifting don't make you bulky. But i have noticed my flat bum is now deliciously round thanks to squats and DL's.

I still think i'd rather have muscular legs with no body fat than have skinny-fat legs.

But that's just me.
  • serapi
    Options
    The OP isn't saying to lie in bed, bind your legs and let them atrophy. She's still giving them a workout. People on this thread are pretty judgmental. Everyone has their own ideal of beauty, and her wanting slimmer thighs isn't wrong.

totally...women are jealous catty itches here! I reached my fitness goals and I look dang good! I'm 41, and would be proud to wear a bikini on the beach...no flabby bits.
  • serapi
    Options
    hmmm. I think normally i'd jump in and say that weighlifting don't make you bulky. But i have noticed my flat bum is now deliciously round thanks to squats and DL's.

I still think i'd rather have muscular legs with no body fat than have skinny-fat legs.

But that's just me.

I don't have skinny legs. They are gorgeous and muscular. 20 inch thighs...sexy...
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Lots of walking and jogging finally got me out of thunder thigh mode and into skinny jeans. It took about 18 months of serious dedication (and serious maintenance ever since) but to me it's worth it to have legs I'm proud to show off, finally.
  • kangababy
    kangababy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I hate my thighs.. they won't go away!
    and even at 115 I had a butt and boobs... Luckily the plastic surgeon took care of the boob problem!