Diet soda

Options

Replies

• jessecka1014
    Options
    I have been heavily addicted to Diet Soda for years! I figured it's diet so I'm fine. Since I dropped all soda, I have realized that having it actually hindered my weight loss.
    I have heard so many bad things about it... do your research and if you quit it, do it slowly.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, and being recently married caused me to think in 20 years I don't want to have health consequences from aspartame from a new study with definitive answers.
    Don't worry yet then......................I've been drinking it for more than 20 years with no health consequences.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

could you argue this is similar to people who smoke their whole lives and never get cancer?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For every study that makes the correlation that diet soda leads to weight gain (which is silly in the first place,) there are just as many studies that show diet soda correlates with weight loss.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    For every study that makes the correlation that diet soda leads to weight gain (which is silly in the first place,) there are just as many studies that show diet soda correlates with weight loss.

Be that as it may, I agree with his opinion on the matter.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has said this already but I would recommend the diet sodas with Splenda over aspartame. I personally agree that aspartame is a horrible chemical, along with most artificial sweeteners. They do some pretty gross things inside your body.
    Do some research and you WILL see. I own rats and if you give them artificial sweeteners in their food over a period of time they will develop some crazy health problems (kidney failure, thyroid problems...) It's kind of like having my own lab at home- if I wouldn't give it to my rats, I wouldn't give it to me either. They're little humans as far as any medical tests are concerned.

Anyway, I digress. But Splenda is great and the only concern with it is that if you're putting it in EVERYTHING you eat (ex: numerous diet sodas a day, plus splenda desserts and splenda on fruit...) you could lead yourself into having too much chlorine in your body. Splenda is really, in a twisted sense, chlorinated sugar we process differently. But WAY better than most artificial sweeteners.

Ever think about maybe adding some Nectresse or Truvia into unsweetened tea or lemonade for a little zing without the worry?? I would have recommended them as great soda sweetener replacements, but I've yet to see a soda that has these IDEAL sweeteners in their ingredients *sigh*
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    They do some pretty gross things inside your body.

Ok, name some gross things they do.
    Do some research and you WILL see.

I have done research on aspartame specifically and I do not agree with your conclusion unless you are consuming ridiculous amounts of it or if you have PKU and cannot properly metabolize phenylalanine.

I own rats and if you give them artificial sweeteners in their food over a period of time they will develop some crazy health problems (kidney failure, thyroid problems...) It's kind of like having my own lab at home- if I wouldn't give it to my rats, I wouldn't give it to me either. They're little humans as far as any medical tests are concerned.

Most of the rodent studies that show harmful effects are using doses of aspartame that are WAY beyond human consumption limits. This doesn't mean that smaller amounts of it are harmful to humans.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has said this already but I would recommend the diet sodas with Splenda over aspartame. I personally agree that aspartame is a horrible chemical, along with most artificial sweeteners. They do some pretty gross things inside your body.
    Do some research and you WILL see. I own rats and if you give them artificial sweeteners in their food over a period of time they will develop some crazy health problems (kidney failure, thyroid problems...) It's kind of like having my own lab at home- if I wouldn't give it to my rats, I wouldn't give it to me either. They're little humans as far as any medical tests are concerned.

Anyway, I digress. But Splenda is great and the only concern with it is that if you're putting it in EVERYTHING you eat (ex: numerous diet sodas a day, plus splenda desserts and splenda on fruit...) you could lead yourself into having too much chlorine in your body. Splenda is really, in a twisted sense, chlorinated sugar we process differently. But WAY better than most artificial sweeteners.

Ever think about maybe adding some Nectresse or Truvia into unsweetened tea or lemonade for a little zing without the worry?? I would have recommended them as great soda sweetener replacements, but I've yet to see a soda that has these IDEAL sweeteners in their ingredients *sigh*
    Rats are not "little humans." The vast majority of studies that show harmful consequences in rats don't carry over to human studies. And there are many, many things that will kill humans outright that rats have no problem with. Bubonic plague for starters.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

Every part of this made me lololol
  • dreamingmatthew
    dreamingmatthew Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The wikipedia page seemed informative to me. Diet soda has been good for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

Aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries worldwide,[50][51] with FDA officials describing aspartame as "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved" and its safety as "clear cut",[52] but has been the subject of several controversies, hoaxes[3] and health scares.[53]
  • null163
    Options
    Dr Oz is a quack..

Not sure what you meant by "quack"... but,

According to The New York Times, Dr. Oz is "one of the most accomplished cardiothoracic surgeons of his generation." Over the course of his career, he has performed 5,000 open-heart surgeries, has successfully transplanted people's lungs and is just generally in the upper fraction of the top one-tenth of a percent of doctors you want standing over your split-open chest cavity in life-and-death situations. While that description would admittedly make a pretty badass business card, there's no way it would fit with all the other things he's accomplished, even if you only count stuff he did while I was taking naps.

Oz graduated from Harvard before moving over to the University of Pennsylvania, because they have the best business school in the world and he wanted to earn an MBA while going to medical school, in case the whole "being the world's best heart surgeon" thing didn't work out. He completed his five years' worth of schooling in three, which is the fastest time allowable before they start checking you for wires to make sure you're not a robot from the future.

It might seem like bad news that America lost its smartest doctor to the world of daytime TV, but it's not that simple. First of all, he didn't stop being a doctor. When he's not walking a middle-aged housewife through a gigantic model of her husband's swollen urethra on national television, Dr. Oz is still the acting director of the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, which you might recognize as one of the 10 best hospitals in the country. He spends most of his week writing and filming his show, but on Thursdays he can still be found performing complicated open-heart surgeries that take hours and require him to take people's lives in his hands.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-dumb-celebrities-who-are-way-smarter-than-you-think/
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mgfyxvS7JJ1r3s5n0o1_500.png
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    What is everybodies feeling on diet soda. i am addicted but am reading that even the diet stuff may be bad. Any thoughts?

What ingredient are you addicted to, the caffeine? Doesn't it bother you to need a drug so bad you'd do anything to get it including sell your granny?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is a quack..

I'm sure his knowledge and intelligence are fine outside of his show, but it is absolutely 100% abundantly clear that he's a sellout, pushing dietary supplements and making claims that reach so far beyond the research that he's doing a massive disservice in misleading people.

This is plain as day.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Dr Oz is a quack..

According to The New York Times, Dr. Oz is "one of the most accomplished cardiothoracic surgeons of his generation." Over the course of his career, he has performed 5,000 open-heart surgeries, has successfully transplanted people's lungs and is just generally in the upper fraction of the top one-tenth of a percent of doctors you want standing over your split-open chest cavity in life-and-death situations. While that description would admittedly make a pretty badass business card, there's no way it would fit with all the other things he's accomplished, even if you only count stuff he did while I was taking naps.

Oz graduated from Harvard before moving over to the University of Pennsylvania, because they have the best business school in the world and he wanted to earn an MBA while going to medical school, in case the whole "being the world's best heart surgeon" thing didn't work out. He completed his five years' worth of schooling in three, which is the fastest time allowable before they start checking you for wires to make sure you're not a robot from the future.

It might seem like bad news that America lost its smartest doctor to the world of daytime TV, but it's not that simple. First of all, he didn't stop being a doctor. When he's not walking a middle-aged housewife through a gigantic model of her husband's swollen urethra on national television, Dr. Oz is still the acting director of the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, which you might recognize as one of the 10 best hospitals in the country. He spends most of his week writing and filming his show, but on Thursdays he can still be found performing complicated open-heart surgeries that take hours and require him to take people's lives in his hands.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-dumb-celebrities-who-are-way-smarter-than-you-think/
    "Quack" as in, yes, he's a cardiologist. He isn't a registered dietician, nor any kind of nutrition or weight loss expert. A "quack" because he consistently pushes products on his show that have little or no actual scientific support, promising quick fixes and miracles for people, when the products tend to be completely ineffective when they are eventually studied. A "quack" because he doesn't stick to cardiac surgery, and panders to vulnerable audiences for ratings and money. If he would stick to his specialty (cardiac surgery,) nobody would have an issue with him.
  • jensa1985
    Options
    Diet is worse for you than the regular stuff, but it all is BAD.
    I used to be addicted to Diet Coke, it was hard to give it up but worth it for better health.
    Now when I do want a soda I'll have a regular coke.
    I do notice that I frequently get sick after indulging in soda pop & found out that it also suppresses
    your immune system! so this time of year ( flu season) is a good time to NOT drink any!
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options

The theme of one of his shows was "How talking to the dead relieves stress."

I kid you not.

Quack.
  • nack_23
    nack_23 Posts: 154
    Options
    I drink diet soda now and then. It is def not good for you but, i choose diet soda over all that simple sugar in regular soda.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    If you're sensitive to the ingredients, and I do believe some people are, don't drink it.

If your goal is to have as healthy a diet as humanly possible, don't drink it.

If it makes you bloat and that bothers you, don't drink it.

if you believe it's just plain toxic, don't drink it.

Me, I take stronger chemicals on a daily basis to keep me sane, I somehow doubt that the chemicals in Diet Coke are going to do me any great harm, therefore I drink it in moderation.

Edited to add: I find regular sodas too sweet, and they do induce sugar cravings for me.

If the contents of diet soda were poisonous or toxic, including aspartame, one would think they'd have figured it out sometime in the last 60 years, 30 for aspartame.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mgfyxvS7JJ1r3s5n0o1_500.png

6HLsG.gif