Diet soda

Options

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

Not sure what you meant by "quack"... but,

The theme of one of his shows was "How talking to the dead relieves stress."

I kid you not.

Quack.

There's nothing wrong with talking to the dead, and it is very stress relieving to do so.

It's the expecting them to respond that I think is iffy, and I'd be fairly stressed if they actually did it.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't do artificial sweetener in anything. No skinny coffee drinks, no diet sodas, no little pink & yellow packets. If you are only having 1 diet soda per day why not just work a "real" soda into your calories for the day and then not worry about the "fake" sugar.

Real soda contains High fructose corn syrup, which is just as controversial a topic as artificial sweeteners.

I personally don't care, either way. I don't like the taste of most diet sodas, so will only drink certain ones, on occasion. I will also drink regular soda, on occasion.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I’m content with prematurely embalming my brain as long as the caffeine still works.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    live a little. we're all just slowly on the way out anyhow.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I don't do artificial sweetener in anything. No skinny coffee drinks, no diet sodas, no little pink & yellow packets. If you are only having 1 diet soda per day why not just work a "real" soda into your calories for the day and then not worry about the "fake" sugar.

Real soda contains High fructose corn syrup, which is just as controversial a topic as artificial sweeteners.

I personally don't care, either way. I don't like the taste of most diet sodas, so will only drink certain ones, on occasion. I will also drink regular soda, on occasion.

If you look long enough you will find soda made with Sugar and not HFCS. Generally the only soda with sugar or HCFS I will touch is there's a Caribbean restaurant in Manchester that makes it's own Ginger beer and it's worth every calorie and every gram of Sugar. After all that's what the double workout is for.
  • GanjaBall
    GanjaBall Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think if what you are after is a true lifestyle change then it would be wise tobegin the weening process and really focus on sticking to it. Whether it be high fructose syrup or Aspartame ..should either of those really be in your body?
    We can make excuses and say we will flush it out with water, or we will put in extra time at the gym or I deserve it I've been good, but, in reality that's all they are, excuses our minds make up to get us off track.
  • sarasweeney3
    Options
    I too am addicted to diet soda. I love it and i was drinking 64-100 oz per day!!! Way too much. Now i replaced that with water and I am allowing myself to indulge in 1-2 glasses per day. I hope to reduce that too once I lose more weight. Good Luck!
  • freshstart14
    freshstart14 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have never been addicted to the point of drinking a ton of it a day. I've tried to cut it out completely, but it's just not worth it to me. I know there is a lot of information about how bad it is for you, but I will stick to 1 a day as a treat for myself. Without it, I feel way too much like I'm on a "diet" and am depriving myself.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

If you look long enough you will find soda made with Sugar and not HFCS. Generally the only soda with sugar or HCFS I will touch is there's a Caribbean restaurant in Manchester that makes it's own Ginger beer and it's worth every calorie and every gram of Sugar. After all that's what the double workout is for.

Ginger beer.
    Black rum.
    Nectar of the gods.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mgfyxvS7JJ1r3s5n0o1_500.png

^^ THIS RIGHT HERE ^^ If you actually read the studies on Aspartame that have found correlation between Aspartame sweetened soft drinks and weight gain, every one of them identifies this phenomenon as anywhere from a probable to a likely cause of the correlation. I've read them because I've had this discussion with people before. Try scholar.google.com and find them for yourself.

The logical explanation based on the data identified in the studies suggests that people who drink a diet soda tend to believe that it allows them to then eat more calories in food. They over-estimate the difference in calories and over compensate. Indeed, one study that used controlled diets for its subjects found that the group drinking aspartame and had the same total caloric intake as the group drinking sugared soda did not show any difference in weight gains/losses.
  • Meghannderson
    Meghannderson Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I have zero intention of giving up my Diet Coke. At least right now. Who knows what I might do in the future.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What is everybodies feeling on diet soda. i am addicted but am reading that even the diet stuff may be bad. Any thoughts?

125j03l.jpg
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    Never was a diet soda fan...Addicted to coke. But trying to cut down to two cans a day. I'd probably would of lost 2-3 pounds more at this point if I would stop drinking coke all together. Oh well. One of my few vices in life..
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Yes diet soda can contribute to weight gain except in the studies that show it doesn't. It appears that obese people drink diet soda, and it also appears that obese people on a diet also drink diet soda.....go figure. It's also a conspiracy in this country that aspartame is not safe and sold anyway. the other 60 or so countries that allow it to be sold are getting paid off by the FDA, so yeah, it's unsafe. :wink:
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Some people will have you can have as much as you want...
    Others will say give it up...

If you as you say are addicted..that's not good!!!
  • cahalith
    Options
    So its been 5 days since I haven't drank any pop, I have no proof other then the fact that my body doesn't hurt as much as it did when i was drinking the diet pop. my doctor did tell me that Aspartame can be for some people an inflammatory- so I suspect in my case this was the situation.

My opinion, soda sugar or not isn't good for your teeth, it eats at them and can allow for cavities to occur with more ease.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options

Doesn't look like a medical source to me.Do you have any links to MEDICAL research?

Nope. Never said it was a medical source. Just the reason I don't drink diet drinks, but each to their own.

And medical sources aren't always correct just cos they're medical sources.
    That's what readers of the Enquirer say.:laugh:

Actual peer reviewed research is a great source. Problem is is that many people would rather go by hearsay.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    So you're saying.. it's not full of sodium.. and it does qunech your thirst?

hmm

Sodium in Classic Diet Sodas
    Classic diet sodas, such as Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke, typically contain about 35 to 40 mg of sodium per 12-oz. serving. Caffeine-free diet sodas, Splenda-sweetened diet sodas and sodas flavored with cherry or lime contain about the same amount of sodium

thats a lot of sodium for a 12 oucnce drink.. How much water do you have to drink in order to flush that out?? Yea.. makes you thirsty.
    Soda diet or otherwise is also link to hunger. There is a strong coorelations between artifical sweetners used in diet sodas and the feeling of hunger. Coorelation means not everyone is affected this way, just more then half.
    Also.. anything that is made made is not healthy and our bodies are not intended to eat it. Eating whole fresh food is what you need to look at to acheive health, including what you choose to drink. Does that mena i never eat a granola bar or drink booze? Of course not. But if you're really looking to change your habits, you need to change them all, 1 at a time.

You can rationsalize it or justify drinking or eating anything you want anyyway you want. That does not change the actual health benefits or lack of them of a particular item.
    There's a difference between rationalization and actual science. Correlation isn't causation (and it's not more than half). And anything man made? You do realize that practically everything we eat has man made manufacturing involved? Unless you're picking your own vegetables, fruits, and raising your own cattle and slaughtering it, etc., manufacturing involves some sort of man made chemical for preservation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CinnamonKai
    CinnamonKai Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a can or a 24 oz bottle of diet soda once in a blue moon. I hope that doesn't contribute to weight gain.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a can or a 24 oz bottle of diet soda once in a blue moon. I hope that doesn't contribute to weight gain.

It won't.