Diet soda

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no scientific evidence aspartame is toxic.
    I drink diet code from time to time.

It may not be toxic, but its effects on the body definitely aren't beneficial

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda a while back (this girl and i had a bet on who could go the longest without it has been almost 2 years now) and it is just a choice, I rather drink water, and to each their own.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Yes diet soda can contribute to weight gain except in the studies that show it doesn't. It appears that obese people drink diet soda, and it also appears that obese people on a diet also drink diet soda.....go figure. It's also a conspiracy in this country that aspartame is not safe and sold anyway. the other 60 or so countries that allow it to be sold are getting paid off by the FDA, so yeah, it's unsafe. :wink:

Who do you think funds most of those studies claiming that aspartame in diet soda/food is healthy? The food/beverage industries that hope to profit from the studies perhaps.
  • ton40orbust
    Options
    panic.gif

^^^ LOL

I drink one can every once in a while. I prefer real soda with calories. when I have it, but I stick to tea and coffee for the most part.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    S'up to you if you want to drink it or not. No one can claim any food is 100% safe everyting is contaminated with something that is toxic. It's the risk we take being a heterotroph (animal that cant photosynthesize). Even bottle water has contaminates such as bacteria and arsenic the levels may be smaller but the fact is there is no such thing as safe and clean food. Anyone that claims this is not living in reality. The fact is yes in high doses aspartame can be toxic, but it saves you 100-1000's of excess calories per day and drinking extra concentrated sources of sucrose ie. corn syrup if you are a soda drinker. I would venture to say people did not become obese from drinking a calorie free beverage. The option to drink or eat your calories should be a no brainer. If you want to give it up great, but I would be willing to bet all of the money I ever make in my life you wont have a longer lifespan.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes diet soda can contribute to weight gain except in the studies that show it doesn't. It appears that obese people drink diet soda, and it also appears that obese people on a diet also drink diet soda.....go figure. It's also a conspiracy in this country that aspartame is not safe and sold anyway. the other 60 or so countries that allow it to be sold are getting paid off by the FDA, so yeah, it's unsafe. :wink:

Who do you think funds most of those studies claiming that aspartame in diet soda/food is healthy? The food/beverage industries that hope to profit from the studies perhaps.

Which studies in particular?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Sidesteel, I don't know which studies in particular, that's why my post was a question. But doesn't it shock you that out of the hundreds, if not thousands of independently funded studies performed on aspartame, nearly 100% of those studies discovered adverse effects, but the FDA makes its claims that aspartame is 'safe' based on just a few dozen studies. It reminds me of the tobacco industries claims in the 60's-70's that cigarettes were harmless and not addictive, yet they still added nicotine to their product because they knew it was addictive.

I'm not saying that drinking diet soda with aspartame while eating a caloric deficit will make you gain weight, but you can't deny its neurological effects and how it can make one crave more food.

It's liken to caffeine in diet pills. Sure you can't just take caffeine, eat whatever you want and expect to lose weight. But for some, it's ability to suppressing appetite can help one lose weight by eating less.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Sidesteel, I don't know which studies in particular, that's why my post was a question. But doesn't it shock you that out of the hundreds, if not thousands of independently funded studies performed on aspartame, nearly 100% of those studies discovered adverse effects, but the FDA makes its claims that aspartame is 'safe' based on just a few dozen studies. It reminds me of the tobacco industries claims in the 60's-70's that cigarettes were harmless and not addictive, yet they still added nicotine to their product because they knew it was addictive.

I'm not saying that drinking diet soda with aspartame while eating a caloric deficit will make you gain weight, but you can't deny its neurological effects and how it can make one crave more food.

It's liken to caffeine in diet pills. Sure you can't just take caffeine, eat whatever you want and expect to lose weight. But for some, it's ability to suppressing appetite can help one lose weight by eating less.

I don't question that measures of satiety from individual to individual may vary with some people experiencing hunger (results on that are mixed btw).

But regarding "nearly 100% of hundreds of studies showing adverse effects" I would suggest that you may be exaggerating.

I don't believe moderate doses of aspartame are harmful in people who don't have phenylketonuria.