What's the skinny on squats?

Options

Replies

• serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Workout to be fit. Your gains in muscle size (or lack thereof) isn't determined by reps, weight, etc as much as it is by genetics. For instance, tall slender people will never get bulky muscles through weights. Women with bulky muscles are extremely rare, due to their estrogen levels.

Feel free to hit the weights hard! I'm betting you will love the results.

If someone is happy not lifting heavy, that is all that matters. Some of us are busy mothers and we work out for mental happiness.

Is your mental happiness what's keeping you at your cpu, spewing misinformation left and right? I certainly hope it's helping you, because it's not helping anyone else here

I wish she would stop as well. It is hard enough encouraging people to squat among other things when misinformation is being given,

My legs have continuously gotten smaller and more shapely as I have lost weight an increased the amount of weight I use...I am not bulky...I am eating in a calorie deficit, so am not worried.

feel free to look at some of my before and after pictures...they are a work in progress...If I could post butt pictures here I would.

[img]http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s379/Jules2Be/IMGP3680-3.jpg[/im [/quot You look awesome.[/img]
  • serapi
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of different factors - I tend to gain muscle quickly, so I personally avoid squats, I do variations occasionally, but I too have heard that they bulk you up - best of luck to you!!

I agree with you. You might get some rude remarks. Watch out :-)

Here is a remark and it isn't rude.

As some in previous posts have said - women don't get bulky from heavy lifting.

@Serapi - please stop trying to push negativity into the conversation. It isn't appreciated. Trying to say that whatever remarks to a comment is going to be rude is just rude and sets the wrong mindframe for anyone else that posts. Stop it please.

I am not being rude. I am attacked for sharing what works for me.

No. People are disagreeing with you. Big difference. Just stop already. You had your thread..stop trying to hijack someone else's.

I will provide what works for me and you guys can disagree with me
  • serapi
    Options
    I've lifted weights 'seriously' for at least the past 6 years. I've been squatting through most of it. I used to be scared to do any weight. I currently do around 150 lbs for reps. If anything, my legs have gotten smaller over the years as i've put on LBM as opposed to fat. My legs are naturally big, but unless you're trying (eating surplus and training like a beast) squats aren't going to put on mass (if you are in a surplus and training like a beast then mass is exactly what HEAVY squats will do though).

With weight training, muscle size doesn't happen by accident unless you're a genetic (amazing) freak. Who i would be very envious of, by the way.

But if you're still scared to do weighted squats try something like jump squats, those will help "lean" legs out but keep them nice and strong, while giving you some good cardio.

Hey thanks a lot. I could give it a try
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of different factors - I tend to gain muscle quickly, so I personally avoid squats, I do variations occasionally, but I too have heard that they bulk you up - best of luck to you!!

@Serapi - please stop trying to push negativity into the conversation. It isn't appreciated. Trying to say that whatever remarks to a comment is going to be rude is just rude and sets the wrong mindframe for anyone else that posts. Stop it please.

No. People are disagreeing with you. Big difference. Just stop already. You had your thread..stop trying to hijack someone else's.

And that's what we are doing. So stop saying we are attacking you or telling others that differing views are going to be rude. -.-

Anyways. BACK to the topic and the OP -

As I said and several others have - you won't get bulky from heavy lifting. And I know that I love lifting just as much as cardio. Both have their benefits and definitely you should have both in your weekly exercise routine :)
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Workout to be fit. Your gains in muscle size (or lack thereof) isn't determined by reps, weight, etc as much as it is by genetics. For instance, tall slender people will never get bulky muscles through weights. Women with bulky muscles are extremely rare, due to their estrogen levels.

If someone is happy not lifting heavy, that is all that matters. Some of us are busy mothers and we work out for mental happiness.

Is your mental happiness what's keeping you at your cpu, spewing misinformation left and right? I certainly hope it's helping you, because it's not helping anyone else here

I wish she would stop as well. It is hard enough encouraging people to squat among other things when misinformation is being given,

My legs have continuously gotten smaller and more shapely as I have lost weight an increased the amount of weight I use...I am not bulky...I am eating in a calorie deficit, so am not worried.

feel free to look at some of my before and after pictures...they are a work in progress...If I could post butt pictures here I would.

IMGP3680-3.jpg
    IMGP3893.jpg]

You look awesome.

thank you.

ok I am not trying to attack you...I am sure what you do DOES work for you, but it is disheartening when we are trying to break so many myths about weight training and you come in and start saying things that are basically not correct concerning weight training.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Honestly. Going through these forums drives me crazy, how true is it that squats bulk up/make your thighs larger? I always thought muscle build was dependent on the diet we eat, I'm already eating at a deficit. The squats/lunges I do are part of JM. I have 25/24.5 inch thighs and 38''hips. (I know, humongous). I don't expect to reduce more than 2 inches on them because even if I lose weight all over it's very difficult for me to lose there.

But I love the squats and lunges. I'm more used to cardio so the strength training seems like a challenge. Is it okay for me to continue with this or am I really at a risk of growing larger thighs? I'm a pear.

Thanks in advance!
    1) It is nearly impossible to add muscle mass while in a caloric deficit (aside from slight noob gains).

2) Women have about 1/10 the testosterone of men, which makes adding mass even more difficult without "supplementation" (anabolic/androgenic steroids). Even under optimal diet/training conditions (caloric surplus, adequate protein intake and a heavy lifting routine), women can put on about 1/2 pound of muscle per month. A half-pound a month. Getting hyooge overnight by accident isn't going to happen.

3) You don't gain muscle mass without progressive overload - pushing weights progressively heavier and causing your muscles to have to grow in response to the increased load. Doing squats and lunges to a Jillian exercise video doesn't constitute the kind of strength training routine necessary for hypertrophy (gain in muscle size).

The most likely scenario is a decrease in the size of your thighs due to fat loss (assuming a caloric deficit) and an increase in strength due to neuromuscular adaptation (your nervous system adapting to the stress being placed on it and causing your existing muscle mass to work more efficiently to handle it).

^^this needs to be emphasized.

In addition, squats have a very good metabolic impact and can 'encourage' mobilization of fat from the belly area (no, not spot reduction). Also, strength training in general and specifically compound lifts are a very beneficial to bone density, which is particularly important to women.

What people may see when they start to exercise, and moreso with lifting, is a slight increase in size initially due to glycogen/water retention in the muscle as it repairs itself. It is temporary water weight.
  • Rrrroxy777
    Options
    I'm still pretty fat and have been on here eating at a deficit and exercising 5-7 days a week for the past 3 1/2 mths. I have done 5-6 sets of 10 squats with and without weights everyday in that time. My *kitten* and thighs are getting smaller and more toned. I have probably lost the most amount off them.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Honestly. Going through these forums drives me crazy, how true is it that squats bulk up/make your thighs larger? I always thought muscle build was dependent on the diet we eat, I'm already eating at a deficit. The squats/lunges I do are part of JM. I have 25/24.5 inch thighs and 38''hips. (I know, humongous). I don't expect to reduce more than 2 inches on them because even if I lose weight all over it's very difficult for me to lose there.

But I love the squats and lunges. I'm more used to cardio so the strength training seems like a challenge. Is it okay for me to continue with this or am I really at a risk of growing larger thighs? I'm a pear.

Thanks in advance!
    1) It is nearly impossible to add muscle mass while in a caloric deficit (aside from slight noob gains).

2) Women have about 1/10 the testosterone of men, which makes adding mass even more difficult without "supplementation" (anabolic/androgenic steroids). Even under optimal diet/training conditions (caloric surplus, adequate protein intake and a heavy lifting routine), women can put on about 1/2 pound of muscle per month. A half-pound a month. Getting hyooge overnight by accident isn't going to happen.

3) You don't gain muscle mass without progressive overload - pushing weights progressively heavier and causing your muscles to have to grow in response to the increased load. Doing squats and lunges to a Jillian exercise video doesn't constitute the kind of strength training routine necessary for hypertrophy (gain in muscle size).

The most likely scenario is a decrease in the size of your thighs due to fat loss (assuming a caloric deficit) and an increase in strength due to neuromuscular adaptation (your nervous system adapting to the stress being placed on it and causing your existing muscle mass to work more efficiently to handle it).

In addition, squats have a very good metabolic impact and can 'encourage' mobilization of fat from the belly area (no, not spot reduction). Also, strength training in general and specifically compound lifts are a very beneficial to bone density, which is particularly important to women.

What people may see when they start to exercise, and moreso with lifting, is a slight increase in size initially due to glycogen/water retention in the muscle as it repairs itself. It is temporary water weight.

^ This is all fantastic information. OP please take the time to read this and ask questions if you need to understand it.

Squatting heavy with a small but reasonable calorie deficit made my butt, hips, and thighs leaner and made me feel amazing. It's good stuff!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I'm still pretty fat and have been on here eating at a deficit and exercising 5-7 days a week for the past 3 1/2 mths. I have done 5-6 sets of 10 squats with and without weights everyday in that time. My *kitten* and thighs are getting smaller and more toned. I have probably lost the most amount off them.

Keep it up!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    ajmmx0.jpg
  • serapi
    Options

IMGP3680-3.jpg
    IMGP3893.jpg]

You look awesome.

thank you.

ok I am not trying to attack you...I am sure what you do DOES work for you, but it is disheartening when we are trying to break so many myths about weight training and you come in and start saying things that are basically not correct concerning weight training.

Truce :-)

Women who lift heavy are awesome to watch.
  • Rrrroxy777
    Options

Keep it up!

Thanks! Don't worry I will! No turning back :) I LOVE SQUATS. The improvement in size and strength of my thighs and butt has been incredible. :P
  • mikebowers27
    Options

Thanks in advance!

^ This is all fantastic information. OP please take the time to read this and ask questions if you need to understand it.

Squatting heavy with a small but reasonable calorie deficit made my butt, hips, and thighs leaner and made me feel amazing. It's good stuff!

Spot on.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    /
  • serapi
    Options

Bahaha, so because I lift heavy I'm not a busy mother? I think my kids would beg to differ.

I just enjoy my workouts.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

Bahaha, so because I lift heavy I'm not a busy mother? I think my kids would beg to differ.

I just enjoy my workouts.
    And I enjoy mine. I LOVE to lift.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

I am having Azackery déjà Vu. How much does your purse weigh?
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Pilates have helped in the past. I don't do them everyday, because I'm doing 30DS and BFBM. Pardon if I sound ignorant, I just didn't want to take chances. I love the high I get from strength training and kickboxing, since pilates is more slow and it doesn't give that adrenaline rush you get--- though it has given results (slow ones) in the past.

Are most of the compound movements in 30 DS good for fast results? I'm on Day 13, just lost 2.2 pounds and no inches.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options

IMGP3680-3.jpg
    It is impossible to argue with those legs.

Lady, I'm coming 'round to attack you for those !
  • aimeeernest
    aimeeernest Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    who cares if you bulk up? It wont be much, especially when your legs and BUTT will look FANTASTIC. It'll be worth it.