Diet + Love: Has this ever happened to anyone?

Options

Replies

• verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you have a regular habit of binging on an unhealthy food, such as my relationship with potato chips, for example, it's easier to swear off it in the short term so you can relearn how to control yourself with that food. This shouldn't last forever, but in the short term it might be better for you, sometimes you need to be successful for awhile so you know that if you fail it's not the end of the world.

When someone is making a lifestyle change, that does impact their relationships, because they often formed habits with those people that will need to change. Talk to your partner and tell her you want to make sure you form new habits together that will keep your relationship strong- when getting into any new hobby or lifestyle it's easy to get so enthusiastic that you neglect other areas of your life. Maybe you guys could take a fitness class together or have a night a week where you cook a new healthy recipe together? If you feel neglected or like you need those routines to help feel connected, you might need to replace them with something new, but you CAN do it. I'm sure your partner has no intention of getting rid of you because she wants to lay off the wine. She may not be aware at all of how these changes are impacting your feelings.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I guess you should make sure the two of you are connecting. A person's relationship with food/wine shouldn't affect their relationships with people! But you don't want to seem insecure so be careful.

Well, that's why I am asking you guys about it here before I overreact to her face. I want to make sure I'm being reasonable, since I have a tendency to get super emotional and fly off the handle at everything. Sux being a woman sometimes :angry:

maybe she can cook and buy all the things and you can eat and enjoy them and then yall can dessert it up together.

GREAT idea! I see how you got to be the inspirational story that you are. Add me!! :happy:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    This is kind of making me nervous, to be honest. I mean, if she can just reject the things she used to love like that, what will she do to me? She says she loves me, but I have to admit that seeing her reject all the things we loved together (WIIIIINE :love: ) makes me wonder if she will just shove me away, too.

This is a huge leap that is frankly silly. Food is not people. We don't fall in love and have sex with cheese

pls explain emotional eating and the millions of people that turn to or away from food because of the mental and emotional challenges that they cannot control in their lives.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Put on your favorite music, light candles, prance around in a sexy outfit.. accessorized by a lovely glass of wine. She'll come around.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I guess you should make sure the two of you are connecting. A person's relationship with food/wine shouldn't affect their relationships with people! But you don't want to seem insecure so be careful.

Well, that's why I am asking you guys about it here before I overreact to her face. I want to make sure I'm being reasonable, since I have a tendency to get super emotional and fly off the handle at everything. Sux being a woman sometimes :angry:

maybe she can cook and buy all the things and you can eat and enjoy them and then yall can dessert it up together.

GREAT idea! I see how you got to be the inspirational story that you are. Add me!! :happy:

I dont add people. only superheroes.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    This is a little crazy. Cutting out things she loved from her diet is so much easier than cutting out things she loves emotionally. I mean, you're not equivalent to a bottle of wine are you?

I wouldn't worry unless she actually gives you reason to believe she genuinely would break up with you or something. Otherwise, you're just over-analyzing. :)

But if you're really concerned, talk to her and let her know. People avoid this all the time, but it inevitably comes down to getting your opinion out there in the end, every time. Sooner > later!

Maybe part of the problem is that I love wine so much that I think of cutting it out of my life as basically the same as cutting her out of my life. This is a huge breakthrough. Thank you so much!!
  • yoovie
    Options
    :( false alarm today
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    do you have pics of you and your gf today? that would help me better help you.

Obvious troll is obvious. NO.

im not a trol. im actually a vrry helpful person my helpful only comes out after i see the beautiful glory of women together, tho why doesnt ne1 believe me. your probably ugly anyway!

You're probably jealous that I'm into women because I have a mardi gras parade happening in my pic. Sheesh...MEN.

ur just scared that i will turn u strat!!!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Actually this did happen to me! I was with my SO for almost 4 years, we even got a dog together! But then he started getting all healthy and stuff- and everything changed. We stopped going to parties together, he quit coming with me to go shopping, he started spending time at the gym and ignoring me because he was more concerned with how he looked. Eventually he even quit his job--- like who does that? All because he wanted to workout. Well when that loser quit his job and couldn't buy me anything I asked for anymore.. girl I kicked that boy to curb. So watch yo self.. your partner could go down that same road. some people get really obessive when it comes to their "new" way of life. If you want to chat about it- I'll PM you my contact information- do you KIK?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Girl......catwoman ain't got nothing on me!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    I have threesomes with my Happy Clover cocoa swiss roll cakes and Magnolia langka and cashew ice cream. When I check the fridge and freezer, they are always there waiting. Even when I have headaches, I cannot reject the scandalous invitations of my lovers.

See, this is how I feel about food, too. Thank you for your understanding, even though you are a guy. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    Options

i'll put something on you.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    Actually this did happen to me! I was with my SO for almost 4 years, we even got a dog together! But then he started getting all healthy and stuff- and everything changed. We stopped going to parties together, he quit coming with me to go shopping, he started spending time at the gym and ignoring me because he was more concerned with how he looked. Eventually he even quit his job--- like who does that? All because he wanted to workout. Well when that loser quit his job and couldn't buy me anything I asked for anymore.. girl I kicked that boy to curb. So watch yo self.. your partner could go down that same road. some people get really obessive when it comes to their "new" way of life. If you want to chat about it- I'll PM you my contact information- do you KIK?

Yikes! This is scary stuff, I am sorry you had to go through that... I am sure you are better off now, though.

I do KIK. We can talk. :)
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Unless your partner genuinely had an intimate relationship with cheese, i'm pretty sure you're making something out of nothing and anyone who would tell you differently is just trying to get a reaction out of you for comedic purposes because the whole idea that she may leave you like she left cheese is so completely bizarre and ridiculous.

this made me giggle, but is exactly what i was going to write. don't overact and support her decisions for now . i am sure she'll go right back to her forbidden foods sooner than later.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it yet. It's still January. Just like having a fight with someone you love, you don't stay mad forever. It's unlikely that she will stick to giving up all the food/drink she loves forever either. She'll either totally go off the wagon, as many resolutioners do, or she'll learn to add them back sensibly.

But don't keep offering her the things she doesn't want right now. If so, she might see you as the reason she fails (if she does) and resent you. Just support her and if/when it does become unsustainable for her, be there to show her that it doesn't have to be all or nothing and help her learn moderation.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I recently went vegan and my boyfriend and I used to bond over cheese plates and fondue. You'll find other things to replace those things. I don't think she'll leave you if she loves you. :) It was upsetting to my boy at first which in turn upset ME because I felt I was doing something to improve my life. But we learned there are other things we can do to replace those things that I used to enjoy with him. She'll find new things she loves to eat just as much as she did wine & cheese and share those experiences with you. Maybe you'll find some new foods you like too! :)

Good luck!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options

i'll put something on you.

We are just getting started and you're already trying to get between us! MFP is so odd.
  • yoovie
    Options
    You have nothing to worry about, it's just resolution stuff. Anyway, I really don't think what your girlfriend is eating has anything to do with your relationship.

^ she just called your gf an undisciplined quitter
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I find this thread shallow and pedantic.

Peter_rejecting_meatloaf.JPG
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    ummm....

radical changes to your diet in persuit of health is NOTHING LIKE radical change to your partnership.

If you are seriously worried that she'll give you up the same way she gave up wine, I think you are far too insecure.