Do you know your body fat percentage?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    When I started my loss I was a horrifying 37.6% O__o' so embarassing.

If that's embarrassing, you should try 44% (and that was after losing 30lbs by dieting). Still have a long way to go; online calculators have me sitting pretty at 47% and 26% (you'd think they'd be closer, but I guess it shows how much of a guess they are). I can guarantee that I'm not 26% though...
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Last I had mine checked I was at 22% (probably 23-24 now cause that was before dropping out of class due to injury). I would be way happier at 15% or so.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 28%, I'd like to be around 21%
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I had my BF measured at my gym a few months back. It was 19% - whether that's accurate, I don't know.
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use an Omron electronic thingy to figure it and BMI.

Just did it today and it was 39.30 with a BMI of 30.10
    In the past week my body fat went up while my BMI went down....that's weird! I lost 4 lbs this week and several inches.

At 22.3 BMI I felt the best, so that is my goal. i usually pay attention to the BMI numbers more that body fat.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Had my checked in a BodPod in December. It was 31.7% Aiming for 22%. Need to put on 5-9 lbs of muscle.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10%, I don't find it useful to speculate any further than that. I focus on being happy with what I see in the mirror, and not dropping so low that I experience negative hormonal effects.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    22%
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no idea
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Stone, you're actually ideal with 23%. Here's a chart.
    http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.com/2012/07/ideal-body-fat-for-men-and-women-by-age.html (first one i found by google, not promoting low carb)

Yeah but I'd rather be in the athletic state because I have a very athletic build
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    According to http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages, I am somewhere between 14-20% - closer to 20%.

According to http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-men.jpg, I am somewhere between 20-25% - closer to 20%.

My scale tells me I run about 21-22%.

So, no, I don't really know. I'm just guessing about 21%. I'd like to get to about 15%, though. Realistically, whatever % gets rid of my lower belly fat.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Mine is 10-11%, For summer I'd like to squeeze it to 8-9%
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    if your profile is current, i dont think yorue at 23 quite yet - but whatever number you start with and use - just make that one go down, regardless of the number itself. just down. just make it go down. all the way down. dirty south kinda down. - but think of the teens as a signal to go get an accurate measurement.
  • stonel94
    Options
    I use an Omron electronic thingy to figure it and BMI.

Just did it today and it was 39.30 with a BMI of 30.10
    In the past week my body fat went up while my BMI went down....that's weird! I lost 4 lbs this week and several inches.

At 22.3 BMI I felt the best, so that is my goal. i usually pay attention to the BMI numbers more that body fat.

right now paying more attention to the BMI is fine, but once you start losing more weight it's a bad number to go by because it might give you a high BMI because it's only based on weight, so if you have a bigger bone structure or a lot of muscle it'll still say you're overwight where as BF% is telling you how much is fat.
  • stonel94
    Options
    if your profile is current, i dont think yorue at 23 quite yet - but whatever number you start with and use - just make that one go down, regardless of the number itself. just down. just make it go down. all the way down. dirty south kinda down. - but think of the teens as a signal to go get an accurate measurement.

Yeah I have a lot of muscle though so my weight is higher but with my measurements it puts me at between 23 and 23.7 depending on the calculator and I tried like 4 different ones. But also I don't want to go "all the way down" because that's unhealthy, I was to be in the middle or low of the athletic range probably
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    24.5%..... ugh.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Nope and I don't want to know! (At least not now.)

When I get closer to my current goal weight, 75 pounds from now, then I'll look closer at that number.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Hovering just below 18%. Would like to be below 14%.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it checked in a while, but I've had it checked several times in the past and used online calculators so I have a pretty good idea of where it's at. I'd like to drop it a few more points, but it's in the healthy range so not really worried about it. It's just a vanity thing now.