Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I don't like to discuss it. ~chuckle~
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Online calculators that take a multitude of measurements are fairly accurate so long as you are taking those measurements properly...i.e. measuring your true waist, not where you where your pants sit. You have to measure everything where you're supposed to, not where it's most convenient to get the lowest number. For the most part, when people are getting wide variances it is because they aren't measuring properly.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Really?

I thought 23% was ok for fitness, I had no idea it was 'underfat' although I'm not gonna say I'm not happy about that. :smile:

So, do you know what weight I should aim for for a better BF%
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've just checked mine and it comes out at 23%.
    I'd like this to be 5% lower but I got myself a little confused with how much weight I would need to lose to achieve this so I'd really appreciate any help with setting a goal.
    My stats are;

Age; 44
    Sex; Female

Height; 5' 4"
    Weight; 99lb

Chest; 33"
    Waist; 23"
    Hip; 30"
    Wrist; 6"
    Forearm; 9"

What would be my desired weight to achieve 18% BF?

Actually, according the calculators and charts I look at, you would be considered "underfat" at 18% and unhealthy...23% for a female of your age is at the lowest for healthy range.

Really?

I thought 23% was ok for fitness, I had no idea it was 'underfat' although I'm not gonna say I'm not happy about that.

So, do you know what weight I should aim for for a better BF%
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    23% for a female of your age is at the lowest for healthy range.

is this actually true? im not being a smartass, im actually asking....\

ETA - i just googled it and saw that it does say that, but "underfat" isnt like "underweight" - it's not a ...

what about -

but!

No, it's not quite true. The ranges I've seen for Women are
    32% or higher is obese;
    25-31% is "acceptable";
    21-24% is "fitness";
    14-20% is "athletes";
    and 10-12% is "essential fat."

I was worried I was too low, but I still have periods and eat plenty, and I'm above 12%. I looked up the health concerns associated with low body fat for a woman, and I don't think I'm a risk for any of them. I eat plenty, and do lots of high impact activities, like mosh pits and lifting.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    scale gives 20, sidesteel guesses 18-19, equations suggest 25+. But whatever I am right now, I'm hoping to get lower. My goal is to wish away my lower belly and less jiggly thigh bits.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    scale gives 20, sidesteel guesses 18-19, equations suggest 25+. But whatever I am right now, I'm hoping to get lower. My goal is to wish away my lower belly and less jiggly thigh bits.

If you were 25% I'd eat my hat and proclaim the evils of corn and diet soda.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Damn it you said were....I was hoping for are. I could gain and make it a challenge. Hats off to you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    23% for a female of your age is at the lowest for healthy range.

is this actually true? im not being a smartass, im actually asking....\

ETA - i just googled it and saw that it does say that, but "underfat" isnt like "underweight" - it's not a ...

what about -

but!

No, it's not quite true. The ranges I've seen for Women are
    32% or higher is obese;
    25-31% is "acceptable";
    21-24% is "fitness";
    14-20% is "athletes";
    and 10-12% is "essential fat."

I was worried I was too low, but I still have periods and eat plenty, and I'm above 12%. I looked up the health concerns associated with low body fat for a woman, and I don't think I'm a risk for any of them. I eat plenty, and do lots of high impact activities, like mosh pits and lifting.

exhales

thank you - thought i had wrong goals all this time! :heart:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    5'5"
    150 lbs
    Different calculators all come out around 27%.
    I want to get down to 18-20% eventually.
  • Izabera
    Izabera Posts: 28
    Options
    6'2''
    164 pounds
    19.6%

Go away handles please
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    Military calculator says 25%. Scale gives me readings of anywhere from 32 - 42%. Based on pictures, I find myself comparable to people who are 30 - 35% bodyfat. Who knows?
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When I first started on MFP, my Body Fat Index was 48.6%. Horrific to say the least!

In Sept last year, my trainer did the caliper test and my BFI was 22.02%. Much better!

My trainer did the caliper test again a couple of days ago and this is the text message he sent me:
    "Your body fat index using sum of skinfolds on: triceps, thigh , suprailiac and stomach is 16.11%!!

A far cry from my original BFI of 48.6% - just thrilled :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And this is a prime example of how off the different methods can be. There is no way you are 25%,
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm at 20.8 and meh... Could be better haha
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    18-19% based on calipers at the gym (about a month ago). I'm good with it.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere between 25% and 30%. I've been nearer 20%, but without enough muscle, and I didn't like it. I'm going from a combination of eye-balling and silly scales. The issue I have with the online calculators is that we all distribute BF differently. In my case my belly can be huge while my ribs are starting to show, and from mfp I know that people can have my measurements and weigh 10lb more (and not just heavy lifters either). They'd let me join up based on mine anyway, but they are just based on averages like any calculator, so not so good for really judging BF%.

I think there are two totally different BF% charts that are being quoted here, with different aims. The one with 'athletic', 'essential' etc is from ACE (American Council on Exercise), and the other is meant to be from the WHO (World Health Organisation), though I can't find it on their website. These are both non-profit organisations, but the WHO is looking at BF% from a point of view of, statistically, at what points is the average person's health likely to be adversely affected, while ACE is looking at goal ranges for trainers to use with their clients.

Personally, I think the ACE chart is thoroughly irresponsible. It may make it look like it is ok for a woman to get down to 10%, whereas most women would be seriously unhealthy at that BF% (no periods, lost hair etc) but 'essential' gives no hint of that. I have seen girls on mfp aiming for that definition. Yes, they have problems already, but I don't think this chart helps.

End rant.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Mine is 27.6% and i got my figure via a DEXA scan. I would like it eventually to be in the low 20's. Considering i still have 19.6 kilos (43 pounds) to lose I am actually happy with it. When I had the scan they told me I had one of the highest amounts of muscle they had seen on a female...not bad for someone who started at 173 kilos (380 pounds) who got puffed walking from the sofa to the fridge ;)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Do you guys know your body fat percentages, are you happy with them?

I haven't had it done by a doctor, but I used a few different online calculators that used different measurements and I got about 23% body fat, I'd like to be a little lower, what are all your guy's and what is your goal if you're not happy?

If I use the Navy method calculator, I have 24% body fat. If I use Accumeasure, it's 22.3%. I am going to use an Omron handheld thing next week at my health screening for my health insurance, so I am sure that it is going to be a different number as well.

I am happy with the way it looks right now. My profile picture was taken just 6 days ago.

My goal, however, is to be really lean, like a fitness model/figure competitor/high-end of the female athlete body fat range...about 16% body fat.

I don't rely too heavily on the numbers that I get as being accurate. I just use them to show a progression and make sure that I am going in the right direction. I prefer to look in the mirror and decide if I am where I want to be.