Do you know your body fat percentage?

Options

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere between 25% and 30%. I've been nearer 20%, but without enough muscle, and I didn't like it. I'm going from a combination of eye-balling and silly scales. The issue I have with the online calculators is that we all distribute BF differently. In my case my belly can be huge while my ribs are starting to show, and from mfp I know that people can have my measurements and weigh 10lb more (and not just heavy lifters either). They'd let me join up based on mine anyway, but they are just based on averages like any calculator, so not so good for really judging BF%.

I think there are two totally different BF% charts that are being quoted here, with different aims. The one with 'athletic', 'essential' etc is from ACE (American Council on Exercise), and the other is meant to be from the WHO (World Health Organisation), though I can't find it on their website. These are both non-profit organisations, but the WHO is looking at BF% from a point of view of, statistically, at what points is the average person's health likely to be adversely affected, while ACE is looking at goal ranges for trainers to use with their clients.

Personally, I think the ACE chart is thoroughly irresponsible. It may make it look like it is ok for a woman to get down to 10%, whereas most women would be seriously unhealthy at that BF% (no periods, lost hair etc) but 'essential' gives no hint of that. I have seen girls on mfp aiming for that definition. Yes, they have problems already, but I don't think this chart helps.

End rant.

Ok, so reading further, some research suggests it is more exercise and nutrition issues that stop periods, however, anecdotal evidence of women losing their period at a certain weight, then regaining them when their weight went back up, suggests to me that exercise and nutrition aren't the whole answer.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal & Sara guess I'm 25%, give or take. I was assuming I was 27-28% before it was guessed at. Whatever it is, I am the true definition of skinny fat & I HATE it.
    But my goal is 17%. I want abs! So when I get abs, I will stop & maintain haha.
  • NNEroxa
    NNEroxa Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm 36.6%. :( My goal is 18-20%.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    37.4 according to this site http://www.aicr.org
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Omron meter says I'm currently at 33%... goal is 10-12%
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    My body for percentage is 14.9%. I am happy with it, I am just not happy where my body store it.. all in my stomach. I am concidered in the "athletic range" I believe
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I started at 29% and am currently somewhere between 21-23% (calculators give a margin of error of 1-2%). When I am within 10 pounds of my goal I will measure again, possibly with a bodpod.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Most body fat calculators put me around 45%

I aim to be around 20%

I've got a long way to go :grumble:
  • calisunrise
    Options
    around 19-20%. my goal is 17%
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The Body Fat calculators can vary greatly, especially for women. I have really skinny wrists and forearms, and carry all my weight in my midsection, so the calculator that uses the forearm and wrist measurement put my at 20%. LMBO! I am 5'6" and 197. so yeah, that was a bit off!
    The Military calculator is most accurate for me. It uses neck, waist, and hip measurements.

I started at 228 and over 56%BF and am now down to 197 and just under 43%. I want to be down around 25%, so I still have a ways to go.
  • ShawnNhGa1977
    ShawnNhGa1977 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i'm 24.7
  • Brandnewme150
    Brandnewme150 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Right now 28% but I'm going for 20-22%
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Since we are being honest mine is 28. I started off at 36 yikes! My goal is 20%.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    27.4 :blushing: aiming to hit 18-21
  • Frostygirl2790
    Frostygirl2790 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Unhappily at 46%
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Online calculator said 17.8%.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    LOL used 3 online calculators got 14.9%, 24.83% and 30% so much for that then.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Various online calculators put me at about 27%. I'd like to be around 20-21% or maybe lower.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    online calculators put me at 17.2% but i cant see how. im very bottom heavy and quite chunky on my legs so its got to be wrong!! i measured carefully though :noway:
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Not for sure, but I did the measuring method for inches and my current weight and my height. So I'm not sure if that's accurate enough.