Instead of, I eat...

Options

Replies

• NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    To all of you who can just eat less more power to ya! For some of us it's easier to just omit since even small portions can really be a trigger.

Instead of frozen pizza I make my own pizza on the grill. so easy takes less time than frozen pizza is healthier and delicious. I just buy the already made pizza dough in the dairy isle. They even have whole wheat. I just add veggies, sauce and a tad mozzarella and voila!

Instead of Fiber 1 I eat All Bran
    Instead of Quick oats I eat Steel cut oats
    Instead of Tea with sugar I use Stevia
    Instead of sweetened yogurt I eat Fage 0% with fresh fruit and a teaspoon of honey and cinnamon
    Instead of regular pasta with sauce I eat whole grain pasta with lots of vegetables
    Instead of soy sauce I use Braggs amino
    Instead of microwave popcorn I air-pop my own
    Instead of whole wheat bread I eat Ezekiel
    Instead of crackers and cheese I eat Wasa crisp bread with Laughing cow reduced fat cheese
    When I am craving chocolate I eat a fudge sickle or have a cup of hot cocoa
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've been big into zucchini "pasta" lately. I bought a spiralizer for pretty cheap on amazon and turn zucchini into pasta strands that are surprisingly similar in texture.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Instead of crackers when I want a quick "hunger stop" snack.
    I eat 3-4 egg whites and that fills me up every time!

Instead of a bag of chips I eat a golden delicious apple sliced up with cinnamon sprinkled on it!
  • tarynchatfield
    tarynchatfield Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Instead of no breakfast, I have oatmeal or toast.
    Instead of buttermilk bread, I have Ezekiel bread.
    Instead of eating out for at least a meal a day, I eat out only in emergencies and go with the healthiest options.
    Instead of coffee with eight spoons of sugar, I have it black.
    Instead of Reeses, I have an apple with dark chocolate almond butter / a tablespoon of clean peanut butter.
    Instead of Arizona tea, I make unsweetened tea of my own.
    Instead of Cheez Its or Goldfish, I have dijon almonds or avocado sprinkled with sunflower seeds.
    Instead of chocolate, I have a fruit smoothie with chocolate whey protein powder (it works surprisingly well and super filling).
    Instead of vegetables once a month, I have vegetables nearly every day!

Going all out with my "treats" leads to guilt and binging, so I search for lower calorie but delicious options.
    Instead of brownies, I eat a Fiber One 90 calorie brownie.
    Instead of Ben & Jerry's, I eat Talenti Sea Salt Caramel gelato bars (just a couple calories more than the Weight Watchers but so much more delicious) or Arctic Zone Mint Chocolate Ice Cream (it's mostly water and whey protein but satisfies!)
    Instead of caramel-filled chocolates, I eat four pieces of Lindt dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of mine:
    130219-substitutions.jpg
    130219-substitutions-salad.jpg

Edited to add: I used raisins as my "bridge food" between chocolate and red grapes. That way, I could cut down the level of sweetness gradually.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Instead of bread, I eat lettuce.
    Instead of canola oil, I eat coconut oil
    Instead of margarine, I eat butter or ghee.
    Instead of turkey burgers, I eat a beef burger.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Instead of a big portion, I eat a smaller portion.

^^this.

I used to eat whole pies & 1/2 gallon containers of ice-cream in one sitting. Now i measure out my treats in 1-2 serving portions, depending on what fits into my macros for the day

I will admit that there is one thing i have actually replaced, that is chocolate candy bars. I love dark chocolate so i switched to a few bars of 70-80% dark chocolate bars instead of candy bars. because if i eat just one butterfinger, snickers or kit-kat, a switch goes off in my brain telling me it is ok to have 5 more
  • weightlossforbrian
    weightlossforbrian Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    instead of going out to mcdonalds and getting a milk shake i goto the gym and then come home and make a really good protein shake.

banana
    2 table spoons of peanut butter
    some ice
    some water
    1 or 2 scoop of GNC amplified wheybolic extreme 60 chocolate

put it all in the blender in no specific order and let it rip.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Instead of Kashi Go Lean Honey Almond Flax cereal, I eat Kashi Go Lean Original. One might expect, by the name, that the original has fewer calories, but it also has *way* less sodium and carbs.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Seltzer instead of soda..
    Almond milk (sometimes) instead of regular milk..
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I switched to Fiber One 60 - only 60 cal in a serving (1/2c) and I feel FULL after eating it
    I switched from 2% milk to almond milk and save 100 cal in an 8oz serving.
    If I want something sweet, I reach for some pitted cherries, which only have 100 cal in 20 of them. The more I eat, the more satisfied I feel. If I have one piece of chocolate at 100 cal, I want more

I switched from (delicious, delicious) homemade, full fat brownies to the Fiber One Chocolate Fudge Brownies ... only 90 cal and I get my chocolate craving. If I'm feeling saucy, I have them with 8oz of 1% milk - decadent!

I switched from country crock to unsalted whipped butter

I switched from vegetable oil to sunflower oil

I switched from full fat salad dressing to either using red wine vinegar OR using Annie's Lite Gingerly (only 40 cal in 2 T).

I switched from Triscuits (120 cal a serving) to Wasa crackers (60 cal a serving)

I switched from bacon and sausage to turkey sausage
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Instead of lean meats I eat fatty cut meats with added butter <_<;
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Instead of white bread I'll have wheat or whole grain.

Instead of bread I'll usually eat Arnold's Pocket bread, healthier wraps, and occasionally pita bread

Instead of spaghetti I eat spaghetti squash
  • LolaTootsie
    LolaTootsie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Instead of honey or brown sugar in my oatmeal, I use molasses.
  • allwg628
    allwg628 Posts: 1
    Options
    instead of a sweet desert, i eat whipped yogurt. still looking for something to substitute for my potato chip craving...
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    instead of mayo I use hummus, instead of sour cream I use non fat plain greek yogurt, instead of sauteeing in butter or oil I use broth and instead of ice cream I eat frozen greek yogurt
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Instead of milk chocolate I go for dark chocolate, chocolate protein ball (clean & home made) or an avocado & cocoa powder mousse (clean & it's just like a real choc mousse - add natural sweetener Nativa or Stevia for sweeter tasting mousse)!
  • saanaismom
    saanaismom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Milk chocolate or chocolate bars of any sort I eat cacao nibs - chocolate in it's purest form. Usually about a tbsp with some almonds and 1 tbsp of dried cranberries (to add a little sweetness). I'm a chocolate addict so have a little bit of the not so good stuff doesn't work for me - just leads to an all out binge. The cacao nibs give me my chocolate fix and all the benefits of this superfood.
  • elisabeth02
    Options
    I've replaced all snack foods with snap peas, strawberries & blueberries.