Do you view someone's success differently if......

Options

Replies

• jessecka1014
    Options
    I don't view anyones progress differently if they've had surgery. My sister in law had lap-band surgery because she is severely overweight. She still has to work extremely hard to lose weight. It is not a magic surgery that BOOM... once it's done, the weight falls off. It is still a day to day battle.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    When you see someone on MFP or in real life who has lost a lot of weight and you find out that they did it through gastric bypass, lapband or any other kind of surgical procedure does it affect how you view their success?

I've noticed that whenever I see someone who's lost 100+lbs I'm always really inspired until I see in their bio that they had surgery to achieve it and it kind of bums me out. I know surgery is only a tool and that the success really comes from the person themselves, and this isn't to say that I'm not happy for them, but it's just so much more inspiring for me to see people with huge weight loss numbers who did it through diet and exercise.

I know that in many cases its strictly for health reasons and to get the weight off as quickly as possible to help save a person's life but I still get that little "Oh wow! Look at what this person di.... oh.... surgery"

Do you view someone's success differently if you find out they lost weight through one of these methods?

No. Everyone has to do this the way that works for them. One of my close friends had gastric bypass about 2 years ago and it was probably the best decision she's made in her life. It was the right choice for her situation and health, and she is one of the hardest-working, most inspirational people in my life.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Okay, so it's not cheating...

...but it's still different.

Yes, much the same way that having a baby via C-section is different. The recovery is especially different, I'm told. But at the end of the day, both mothers have babies, and the work certainly doesn't end there.

Good analogy.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I look at them with a little jealousy because they either:

A) had a better health plan than me that covered it

or

B) have more money than me and can afford it

in the case of my friend who had weight loss surgery:

C) work a 2nd job for over a year in order to afford it because even though she was 150+ pounds overweight, her insurance did not cover enough of it for her to do without getting a parttime job. :wink:
  • Elzecat
    Options
    OMG. People can't have WLS to lose 40 lbs. Seriously?? Are people so obtuse that they think a person with just a little weight to lose can walk into a doctor's office and say, "Hey, I need to lose forty, so set up some WLS for me!" It isn't that easy, and some people need to stop talking when they don't know what they're saying. Just sit down, please!

WLS is reserved for the morbidly obese, not the sorta overweight, not the vanity pounds, not even overweight people. I don't know a doctor who will consider WLS for anyone who isn't at least 100 lbs overweight, and even then, it's not that easy.

I've never had WLS, never considered having it, but like I said, I know people who have, and they went through months of psych evals, and doctor's appointments, appointments with nutritionists, etc., to get to the point where WLS was even considered. Only two cases I know of that some of that was skipped - my colleague, whose life was very much in danger, and an online friend, who was in a similar situation.

It's easy to sit back and judge others. It takes courage to not be a dbag and try to understand why some people take the route they've chosen, not to mention some degree of empathy, which clearly some folks lack.

^
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Okay, so it's not cheating...

...but it's still different.

Yes, much the same way that having a baby via C-section is different. The recovery is especially different, I'm told. But at the end of the day, both mothers have babies, and the work certainly doesn't end there.

Good analogy.

Yes Jof...as someone that had the surgery I would (and I have if you look at my post earlier) say that it's different.

just a different road, a different path to the same end point.

The analogy above is very good because it's exactly how I feel.

I had a VBAC with my daughter, many people have a Ceasarian...I do NOT feel in anyway that they cheated or are lesser for what they ended up doing to have their kids. its just a different experience is all.

Different is ok.

But using different to make one morally superior and the other morally inferior...that...i have a problem with.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I have a very good friend on here who had Gastric Bypass. I'm pretty sure she had to struggle, scream, and claw to lose her 100+ lbs just as much as I did, if not more.

Just because someone had surgery to help speed up the initial process, doesn't mean they don't deserve the same level of respect and praise as someone who lost a similar amount of weight without surgery.

Rxr4q.png

+1
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    No, it doesn't. It stretches some, otherwise you would starve, but it does not go back to presurgery size.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't, because I know people who have had weight loss surgery and I know it is not an easy way out. Even with the surgery you can still gain weight and be overweight, not to mention it severely limits what you can eat. They have to be hyper aware of what they eat, and have to work out just like everyone else. It is by no means a quick fix.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    No, it is their body and they have every right to do what they think is right for it.
    Just like I have every right to do whatever I'd like to my body.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I wasn't talking about those who need to lose 40 pounds. I was talking about those who have to lose 40 pounds before they have the surgery (or 10 or 20 or 30). Some doctors ask people to lose some weight first and then have surgery if they simply can't lose anymore. It's still stupid. If you can lose 20, you can lose 200.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I don't, because I know people who have had weight loss surgery and I know it is not an easy way out. Even with the surgery you can still gain weight and be overweight, not to mention it severely limits what you can eat. They have to be hyper aware of what they eat, and have to work out just like everyone else. It is by no means a quick fix.

Then why have it? That's why I think it's stupid. Why waste all that money if you're going to have to watch what you eat and work out anyway and could still gain it back?
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I used to think like that until I met a few people that actually had the surgery. Someone that has the surgery has to struggle just as hard as someone that hasn't. Maybe the results are forced/guaranteed but in my opinion having surgery is no picnic, it might even be harder because you can't cheat.

Don't hate, celebrate. :laugh:
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Nope. I know 2 people who've had it. Once lost 75+ lbs and is maintaining nicely and really getting fit. The other has gained weight I think, drinks alcohol too much and doesn't eat healthy. She can only eat a little bit but drinks up a storm (which defeats the purpose I think). She wants to lose, but doesn't want to make the changes needed.

So for a person with the lap band, or gastric bypass, all the more power to them in achieving goals.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Then why have it? That's why I think it's stupid. Why waste all that money if you're going to have to watch what you eat and work out anyway and could still gain it back?

You need to get past your tunnel vision and stop thinking you have all the answers. If you (or anyone else) had all the answers, you wouldn't be here. And your profile says you are new so ... Maybe you don't know.

I'm not trying to be mean here but you seem to have this idea this is all so easy, and it isn't. If losing weight were easy, everyone would be thin. Or they wouldn't start and stop 100,000,000 times.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options

You need to get past your tunnel vision and stop thinking you have all the answers. If you (or anyone else) had all the answers, you wouldn't be here. And your profile says you are new so ... Maybe you don't know.

I'm not trying to be mean here but you seem to have this idea this is all so easy, and it isn't. If losing weight were easy, everyone would be thin. Or they wouldn't start and stop 100,000,000 times.

^Agreed.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options

my dad had it because he can barely move, have a pacemaker, and other health problems. my dad has lost 150#. Its not easy, he went through hell.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I try to not have a problem with it, Because I know how hard it is to lose any amount of weight. But I do have a problem with it, for this one reason: Before they allow the person to have WLS, they always make them lose a certain amount of weight, And they do it , so if they can do it for the WLS, why can't they just keep doing it ?? That is what I have a problem with. They can do it without the WLS. They just choose not to. It just takes a LONG time to lose weight, and anyone who is a candidate for WLS has a good amount of weight to lose, meaning it is going to take a long time, which is very hard for alot of people to wrap their head around, I understand that, no one more than me understands that.

And you have to fix your head , You have to address why you eat so much, or else you will not have long term success. there is no way around that one.

So as much as I try not to have a problem with it, I am ashamed to admit I do.

And in case anyone wonders how I lost my weight, I did it with MFP. counting, logging , every darn calorie I put in my mouth for 2 years, and I worked my *kitten* off, 10 hours a week at the gym. Alot of hard work, A lot of sweat, and alot of tears went into those 2 years. And I am very proud of myself for the person I have become. :flowerforyou:
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I never thought about it. But from what I know, you have to follow an extremely strict diet after the surgery because your stomach has been reduced to the size of a test tube. People who are used to being able to eat a lot are suddenly only allowed to eat 2 tbsp of food at a time or else risk tearing their stomach or vomiting. If anything, it's a very sudden and shocking lifestyle change.
  • ashesmf
    ashesmf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't. It stretches some, otherwise you would starve, but it does not go back to presurgery size.

Omg. I had the surgery 8 years ago. I'm sorry that I don't care what the doctors tell you. (mine told me a lot of crap that wasn't true, like I could never drink alcohol, eat bread, etc...) My stomach is totally it's normal size now. Just a month ago, I probably could have eaten 4 slices of pizza and a whole bag of chips without so much as a tummy ache. Every bit of research says it only stretches to hold 1 cup of food. Well guess what? It's no pizza or chips but I just ate 2 cups of soups and some fruit. I still remember all the horror stories I was told before I left. Ex: A woman tried to eat a steak and the little piece she cut wouldn't fit through her pouch and she had to have surgery to remove it. I'm pretty sure the doctors have good intentions, but a lot is just to convince you to never eat too much food.