Lost any or all respect for Lance Atrmstrong?

Options

Replies

• MaxlacusNight
    MaxlacusNight Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Who's to say he actually did dope even though he 'admitted' it? He was being hounded for YEARS about it and no one would let it go. I believe he finally just said the hell with it, and told people what they so desperately wanted to hear. Honestly though, it's one man. He's human just like the rest of us. I could never make a judgement against him unless I personally knew him.
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    He still had to be incredible shape to even COMPLETE the tour de france all those times. He did what EVERYONE at that time was doing. They were not testing for that particular substance at that time, which is why he tested negative. I'm not saying it is right, but it is what everyone did.......like I said, it only enhances...he STILL had to be in great shape to do it at all.

That said, the lies are what bothers me.
  • krbini
    krbini Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    he consistently cheated and ruined people's lives. he also failed test(s). i dont see how anyone can respect him.

LOL... how did he ruin anyones life ?
    He has done TONS for people through his foundation.

LOL he has sued multiple people for speaking the truth.

LOL Whose life did he ruin ?

You would have to ask all of the other cyclists who came in behind him. Can losing a race you have trained so hard for "ruin" your life? I don't know, but it sure would be an incredible disappointment, to say the least. Forget all the lawsuits Armstrong has filed to defend his "good name," the counter-accusations, etc. - all of those riders who came in second place will never have the opportunity or the glory again.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I'm not, and never would, condone doping, but at the time that Armstrong was racing a LARGE majority of cyclists were doping.....the others just didn't get caught. Their bodies, their business. I admit, I wanted him to be innocent, but alas...he's not.

That said................

His organization has helped countless people, and I don't think that a mistake he made years ago (even if he denied it) should overshadow the good he's done since then.

I reserve "lost respect and loathing" for people who actually do HARM to other living things. I see so many people calling Armstrong or Bret Favre or Tiger Woods a douche or and *kitten*........and in the same breath, some of those same people will hail Michael Vick or OJ Simpson as heroes.

I'll continue to respect, admire and support Lance Armstrong and his foundation for all the good they do

And I'll continue to loathe those who took innocent lives and tortured helpless animals.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Like my dad was saying (he's a cyclist and has been for at least 10 or more years), he knows what it takes to do what Lance did and he's (my dad) not surprised Lance doped. Many cyclists at that caliber most likely dope, it's whether they admit it or not. Lance was an idiot, in my opinion for lying that entire time. Now he has a ruined reputation to deal with, which he deserves after all that lying. It's sad to know many 'great' athletes turn to drugs of sorts to become "super" athletes. What ever happened to good old will power, determination, and strength!?
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    He competed in an era when players doped. And, they all lied about it. Not saying I condone the doping or the lying. But, I can't lose respect for his accomplishments knowing he was competing against what is likely a fair number of other dopers. I say you put an asterisk on his record, but let it stand.

Also, this ^^^

The playing field was level.............
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I don't care about Lance Armstrong one way or the other.
    I could almost say "who is Lance Armstrong?" except that I have heard of him. Bicycling, right?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I could almost say "who is Lance Armstrong?" except that I have heard of him. Bicycling, right?

TFCIT
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    He's Robin Hood on a bike to me, cycling is such a dirty sport its hard to respect it period.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm not, and never would, condone doping, but at the time that Armstrong was racing a LARGE majority of cyclists were doping.....the others just didn't get caught. Their bodies, their business. I admit, I wanted him to be innocent, but alas...he's not.

That said................

His organization has helped countless people, and I don't think that a mistake he made years ago (even if he denied it) should overshadow the good he's done since then.

I reserve "lost respect and loathing" for people who actually do HARM to other living things. I see so many people calling Armstrong or Bret Favre or Tiger Woods a douche or and *kitten*........and in the same breath, some of those same people will hail Michael Vick or OJ Simpson as heroes.

I'll continue to respect, admire and support Lance Armstrong and his foundation for all the good they do

And I'll continue to loathe those who took innocent lives and tortured helpless animals.

-- What ? "I'll continue to respect, admire and support Lance Armstrong" What? FORGET THAT! YOU ADMIRE THE BEST CHEATER & LIAR... Shut the Front Door! His organization is good HE IS NOT! I followed his career and supported him for years now he just spit on me, FORGET IT! A man without Honor has nothing, and he is nothing to me now... He could have chosen to do things differently and work against doping instead he became a master at it, and you respect that!?
  • OlyOtis
    OlyOtis Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I bet half the people, or more, calling him a cheater have cheated themselves in life. A game, a spouse, etc. People love drama. They love to accuse. They love to hate. Cheers to all of you perfect plastic people.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    he consistently cheated and ruined people's lives. he also failed test(s). i dont see how anyone can respect him.

LOL... how did he ruin anyones life ?
    He has done TONS for people through his foundation.

LOL he has sued multiple people for speaking the truth.

LOL Whose life did he ruin ?

You would have to ask all of the other cyclists who came in behind him. Can losing a race you have trained so hard for "ruin" your life? I don't know, but it sure would be an incredible disappointment, to say the least. Forget all the lawsuits Armstrong has filed to defend his "good name," the counter-accusations, etc. - all of those riders who came in second place will never have the opportunity or the glory again.

^^ Spoken like someone who doesn't follow cycling, and if you don't understand why I would say that, you don't follow cycling . . . or pro sports in general.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    After listening to his interview, the only thing that struck me as smug was that he said he "deserved" to be able to compete again. Meh, I'm thinking that even if he did and won, he'd never have the respect that he thinks he would because most everyone would accuse him of cheating again.:laugh: Save the grief.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    We could be here all day long arguing........what's the point? Motherf*cker won 7 tours against competitors who had the same substances coursing through their veins. Ya, he lied but did he gain an advantage over the competition?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    "It's Not About the Bike" Lance Armstrong

Lance2_zpsce0d00cb.jpg
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    We could be here all day long arguing........what's the point? Motherf*cker won 7 tours against competitors who had the same substances coursing through their veins. Ya, he lied but did he gain an advantage over the competition?

So he was the best at cheating is what you're saying.
  • Olive101109
    Options
    I remember watching him on the TV show "Arthur" before school in first and second grade. I was shocked to see that he was cheating the whole time. Just another piece of my childhood that is just plain messed up. :grumble:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I remember watching him on the TV show "Arthur" before school in first and second grade. I was shocked to see that he was cheating the whole time. Just another piece of my childhood that is just plain messed up. :grumble:

Ahhh, AND he ruined someone's childhood!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    He competed in an era when players doped. And, they all lied about it. Not saying I condone the doping or the lying. But, I can't lose respect for his accomplishments knowing he was competing against what is likely a fair number of other dopers. I say you put an asterisk on his record, but let it stand.

EXACTLY.

He competed in a SPORT where doping is commonplace, but he bullied everyone on his team into doping harder and faster than they would have without him (transfusions etc.).

With respect to the ruining people's lives thing - I really don't give a **** about this story so haven't retained the details, but there was at least one doctor who testified to his doping that ended up losing his career and being discredited based on Lance's brazen, vociferous, leaning-on-the-fact-that-he-beat-cancer lying.

LOL? is that how that works?
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options

exactly my feelings