Women who lift heavy

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I lift enough to feel challenged at 5-8 reps, usually. That's my definition of "heavy". The numbers change slightly every week.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    What specific exercises are you asking about ie: bicep dumbbell curl or barbell curl?

Dumbbell curls
    Preacher curls with EZ bar
    Concentration curls
    Tricep extension with cable
    Tricep extension with dumbbell
    Skullcrushers

Now just replace the 6 above with the 6 below

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Rows
    Pullups

^^ This. I don't like to waste time at the gym!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    What specific exercises are you asking about ie: bicep dumbbell curl or barbell curl?

Dumbbell curls
    Concentration curls
    Skullcrushers

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Rows
    Pullups

I hear ya instead of doing "isolation exercises' do the type above but do those work out the entire upper body? I want to split my days to upper and lower doing these combo exercises and I understand lift heavy means heavy for me with lower reps but what exercises should I do on upper body days that hit the entire upper body? (back, shoulders, arms, chest etc)

Deadlifts and squats will target more specifically lower body, but there will still be a ton of benefit to upper because those are involved too. But for specifics, all of the rest will do you for upperbody (BP, OHP, Rows, pullups)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Dumbbell curls
    Concentration curls
    Skullcrushers

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Rows
    Pullups

He does have a good point. What you listed seems like a lot of "isolation" moves. You don't need that many, unless maybe you are doing a hypertrophy program and/or a seasoned bodybuilder.

You might get more benefit doing a program like this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

I hear ya instead of doing "isolation exercises' do the type above but do those work out the entire upper body? I want to split my days to upper and lower doing these combo exercises and I understand lift heavy means heavy for me with lower reps but what exercises should I do on upper body days that hit the entire upper body? (back, shoulders, arms, chest etc)

YEP i JUST FOLLOW THE STRONGLIFTS 5X5 PROGRAM... ( ooops forgot to turn off CAPS)

less time in the gym, still get full body workout...
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Agree with others about heavy being relative to you. If you can bust out 12 reps, go heavier. I usually max at 5. If I can do more, I need to go heavier.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter what they can lift... it matters what YOU can lift. if you are trying to build muscle then you should be lifting enough weight so the muscle gets fatigued by the 6 the rep but you and eek out 1 possibly 2 more. if you are trying to maintain then you should be lifting to where you exhaust yourself at 10 to 15 reps. if you are working towards just staying lean but want much sharper definition.. then do 15 reps of a weight you can handle. you are not in a race against anyone else... so just focus on you!!!!!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    keep a log. write down what weight you used and how many reps and sets you did and then whether you felt the weight was enough or if you should increase the next time you work that part. otherwise you will be forever guessing. it is very rewarding to see a trend going upward :) Try to lift heavy enough that you are maxed at 10-12 reps and try to do 3-4 sets.

You could start with something like this? for example...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body-transformation-super-mom.html
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Dumbbell curls
    Concentration curls
    Skullcrushers

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Rows
    Pullups

Lower:
    Day 1: Squats, Day 2: Deadlifts
    Day 1: Step-ups, Day2: Lunges
    Leg extensions
    Leg curls
    Calves

Upper:
    Bench
    Pendlay (could switch off with pull-ups)
    Overhead Shoulder press
    Biceps
    Triceps
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

Dumbbell curls
    Concentration curls
    Skullcrushers

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Overhead Press
    Barbell Rows
    Pullups

Agreed. All of those bicep curls and what not are unnecessary to get rocking arms and shoulders. Save the time and do compound exercises that work everything.
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter what they can lift... it matters what YOU can lift. if you are trying to build muscle then you should be lifting enough weight so the muscle gets fatigued by the 6 the rep but you and eek out 1 possibly 2 more. if you are trying to maintain then you should be lifting to where you exhaust yourself at 10 to 15 reps. if you are working towards just staying lean but want much sharper definition.. then do 15 reps of a weight you can handle. you are not in a race against anyone else... so just focus on you!!!!!

great post.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    As heavy as I can. I'm not doing isolations right now since they aren't part of NROL4W, but some things I can think of off hand...

Lat pull down: 10x2@100# (Stage 6 of NR is weird lol)
    Bench press: 3x5@60#
    Row: 4x4@85#
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Oh God, a bunch of n00bs who think they know everything about lifting. This is why you don't go to a fitness forum with 90% women.

(I hope it isn't a strikeworthy offense to say that I'm...)

...in for the inevitable awesomeness once we are finally blessed with the answer (bestowed upon us from high atop her...uh, thing you would sit high atop).

Edit: for clarity of subject.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Oh God, a bunch of n00bs who think they know everything about lifting. This is why you don't go to a fitness forum with 90% women.

seriously.jpg
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    ny-brushemoff.gif
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Says the 24 year old woman.

Please, enlighten us with your wisdom. I'm dying with anticipation.

We're waiting...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Dnj9o.gif
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Awesome job of judging! Can you apply that to your lifting?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    *taps foot*

I'm still waiting to be enlightened.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    ...in for the inevitable awesomeness once we are finally blessed with the answer (bestowed upon us from high atop her...uh, thing you would sit high atop).

Monolithic phallus?
This discussion has been closed.