Marriage values in our society....

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I yearn for the good 'ol days when affairs didn't happen.
    *searches memory* Wait... WAIT!

These good 'ol days... they're all in your imagination aren't they?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

And people didn't eat wheat
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The responses to this thread already show the lack of values.
    No, it's not her business, but apparently it's something she wished to talk about. Marriage is supposed to be sacred. And people are throwing it away like it means nothing. So I totally agree with this post. Is it my business whether someone else has an affair? No... but that doesn't take away from the fact that the world's population is lacking morals and values.

And why in the world do you bother commenting on such a post if you just want to say it's none of their business? It doesn't really make sense. If you don't want to discuss it, then find your way out.
    This is chicken doodle.
    People all have their own values. I respect the values and opinons of somebody who isn't judgemental regarding what others do much more than nosy nellys who have to whine on an internet forum about what people they don't even know are doing.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I can't disagree with this. .it was those 'texts' and 'secret' friends that destroyed my marriage. . . The cost/benefit analysis of lust when married just doesn't add up. . But hey. . most people seem to think there's nothing they can do to stop themselves. It's not their fault!

Oh god. I hate that attitude.

If you have a feeling - ACT ON IT. That's what we're taught. It's such BS!!!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I know that if anything like this ever happened to me, I would TRY my best to work through it with my husband....I would....but knowing my personality, it would be the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life.

With all due respect, you really have no idea what your reaction to an affair would be until you've been cheated on by your spouse. You can speculate what you WOULD do but not what you actually do. The circumstances of each affair are different. The circumstances and arrangements of each married couple are different. Why? Because "values" are subjective and usually based on cultural norms which don't always fit everyone. Your values are not always others' values.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    The responses to this thread already show the lack of values.
    No, it's not her business, but apparently it's something she wished to talk about. Marriage is supposed to be sacred. And people are throwing it away like it means nothing. So I totally agree with this post. Is it my business whether someone else has an affair? No... but that doesn't take away from the fact that the world's population is lacking morals and values.

And why in the world do you bother commenting on such a post if you just want to say it's none of their business? It doesn't really make sense. If you don't want to discuss it, then find your way out.

Why do we bother to comment if we don't agree?
    For the same reason the OP posted the topic, to give our opinion on the matter.
    My opinion is the OP needs to stop judging how others live just because it' s not exactly how she would live.
    Sorry if it's not the same opinion as the yours and the OP's, but it's a public forum and dissenting viewpoints should be expected!
    Or does that go against your morals too?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Darn whippersnappers ruining everything with their moral relativity and whatnot! Back in my day we just all went down to the cat house and got business done the right way. None of this new fangled "sexting" and free love . . .
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I value my marriage.......Until she pisses me off. :laugh:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    There is no question that we are seeing diminishing returns from the 60's "Sexual Revolution" that then led to today's "Hookup Culture".

I don't know how to fix it, but we just simply are not creating a better society when we screw whatever shakes in front of us like some monkey or over-libido'd jerk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    This is more gossipy than chit-chatty. We really need a Gossip and Rant section.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Maybe if people put out regularly to their spouses there would be less of it. :bigsmile:

I have yet to have a man on here seek my attention out who is getting regular ***** from his wife.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Riiiiiggghhhttt abbooouuutttt NOW:

mg20026861.500-1_300.jpg
  • Sunlight2013
    Options
    Actually it was my cousins husband. I'm not whining, just disappointed thats all. I also agree that marriage is sacred and I am just saddened by this news.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    If she would follow the bible and just do what I tell her to, no matter how vulgar or base, I wouldn't need to go looking for carrots in Caterwaul's garden if you catch my drift. You know, pick some berries at the apple orchard? Eh? Eh? Grabbing a few pints down at the old five and dime?? Eh? Get me? Heh. Eh?

:flowerforyou:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

When unicorns flourished and Jesus rode Dinosaurs....

Seriously, I love you. Can I have an affair with you? Which would only include texting, by the way.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    This is more gossipy than chit-chatty. We really need a Gossip and Rant section.

Friggin' brilliant.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Oh, and why is marriage "sacred"? It is only a contract really, and contracts are broken or dissolved all the time. Of course, I'm an atheist and don't place the same importance on the word "marriage" many religious people might.

I don't think you have to be "religious" to put value upon your marriage. Regardless of the actual contract, you look someone you love dead in the eye and you vow your love and faithfulness through sickness and health, rich or poor, etc. Why do I have to be religious to think that means something??
  • Sunlight2013
    Options
    I know that if anything like this ever happened to me, I would TRY my best to work through it with my husband....I would....but knowing my personality, it would be the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life.

With all due respect, you really have no idea what your reaction to an affair would be until you've been cheated on by your spouse. You can speculate what you WOULD do but not what you actually do. The circumstances of each affair are different. The circumstances and arrangements of each married couple are different. Why? Because "values" are subjective and usually based on cultural norms which don't always fit everyone. Your values are not always others' values.

Good Point
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Just because somebody doesn't conform to your values doesn't make them anything less than you.

I never want to get married.
This discussion has been closed.