Marriage values in our society....

Options

Replies

• tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    You're right; none of us have any values.

I, too, miss the old marriage values of society. When women were forced to marry the men who raped them. Or when women were considered property and nothing more. Or when women couldn't marry someone of a different race.

Yup. No values today. We've only gone downhill.

Dont forget those marriages that started because a family sold their daughters to the highest bidder - those are bound to have the utmost fidelity in them. :laugh:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    thing is, we don't know the "rules" in anyone else's marriages and it is not our place to judge anyone else.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I value my marriage.......Until she pisses me off. :laugh:
    Just because somebody doesn't conform to your values doesn't make them anything less than you.

QFT
  • ooshlet
    ooshlet Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I, too, miss the old marriage values of society. When women were forced to marry the men who raped them. Or when women were considered property and nothing more. Or when women couldn't marry someone of a different race.

exactly! the good old days when people stayed in miserable marriages long after they were over because they had no other option.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Hi5!
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Dont forget those marriages that started because a family sold their daughters to the highest bidder - those are bound to have the utmost fidelity in them. :laugh:

Wait, so how did "golddiggers" come about?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    The responses to this thread already show the lack of values.
    No, it's not her business, but apparently it's something she wished to talk about. Marriage is supposed to be sacred. And people are throwing it away like it means nothing. So I totally agree with this post. Is it my business whether someone else has an affair? No... but that doesn't take away from the fact that the world's population is lacking morals and values.

And why in the world do you bother commenting on such a post if you just want to say it's none of their business? It doesn't really make sense. If you don't want to discuss it, then find your way out.

Don't post on the forums if you can't take criticism and open discussion. Not everyone agrees with your religious beliefs, and I certainly don't agree that you have somehow found the "truth" to morals and values as your claim that the "world's population is lacking morals and values" seems to imply if not openly state.

QFT
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Society, it's morals and values, have changed. It used to be that the child being raised by the single parent was in the minority. Now, my children, raised in a home with parents that were married before having children, and having all the same last name, those children are the minority. So, it's not surprising to me that so many people in this thread would jump to the defense of the cheaters, and berate those that think cheating is wrong by telling them to mind their own business. We must rationalize our behaviors anyway we can so that we can try having a clear conscience, and not feel that our own actions could possibly be morally wrong.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Which, I would also say to the OP of this little thread chain... marriage does not equal religion.

Damn, I love you.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Only thing that has changed in our society is that these things are on Entertainment Tonight or Reality TV. All these things happened in Ye Olden Days, just no one talked about them.

In before the lock.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Wait! So you're telling me that if my boss invites me out for lunch, we're having an affair? Get real! People can be friends.

Um, nobody said you can't have friends. OP was talking about "secret" meetings, keeping things from your spouse, and developing and entertaining inappropriate feelings and desires toward someone other than your spouse. Get with the program.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    neither am i but i entered into a binding contract when i entered my marriage. if you dont feel strongly enough to make a lifetime commitment dont do it.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i have this strange feeling this thread is about to get shut down... ;)

Ya think? Doomed from the get-go.

Maybe someone could start a thread about how unmarried moms don't have morals, and how that's "just an observation", but not judging. Riiight.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Let me break it to you: It has always been that way, it is just much more easy to know about these things now. Study history, infidelity all over the place!

neither am i but i entered into a binding contract when i married my husband. if you dont feel strongly abt it enough to make a life long commitment dont do it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    i have this strange feeling this thread is about to get shut down... ;)

Ya think? Doomed from the get-go.

Maybe someone could start a thread about how unmarried moms don't have morals, and how that's "just an observation", but not judging. Riiight.

You are just trying to spice up my day, aren't you. HEHEHEHE :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    neither am i but i entered into a binding contract when i entered my marriage. if you dont feel strongly enough to make a lifetime commitment dont do it.

A binding contract? That kind of sounds scary to me.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Society, it's morals and values, have changed. It used to be that the child being raised by the single parent was in the minority. Now, my children, raised in a home with parents that were married before having children, and having all the same last name, those children are the minority. So, it's not surprising to me that so many people in this thread would jump to the defense of the cheaters, and berate those that think cheating is wrong by telling them to mind their own business. We must rationalize our behaviors anyway we can so that we can try having a clear conscience, and not feel that our own actions could possibly be morally wrong.

Oh snap! End thread!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Are you happy now?

See what you've started!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    This kind of behaviour has always happened. People just are getting less and less discreet about what they do and technology plays a role in why it is harder to be discreet.

I happen to be a person that take monogamy seriously and will not consider entering into any relationship other than friendship when I am with someone. It's up to the person, their upbringing with both parent and society as a model that they have been raised to emulate to become a person that would cheat regardless if it were emotional or physical.

So I'd have to say that you are evaluating others against values that you have grown up with and that isn't fair because not everyone grew up with the exact same values.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options

I agree, but to some point I disagree. I am a single mother, not married and my son's father isn't in the picture. But yet, I believe in marriage. I believe that when you make your vows, you hold them dear to your heart. So not everyone looks past their own faults to jump on the "mind your own business" wagon. Just wanted to clarify, some of us own up to what we have done.
This discussion has been closed.