Foods/drinks you should never eat or drink.

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Oh good. More well reasoned and science backed opinions in MFP threads. Where does one even start to begin to deal with the mountains of this garbage?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Oh good. More well reasoned and science backed opinions in MFP threads. Where does one even start to begin to deal with the mountains of this garbage?

Correct. Garbage is something you should never eat or drink.
  • DarkHours
    DarkHours Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Correct. Garbage is something you should never eat or drink.

Or read.
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with whole wheat bread? I know just plain wheat means nothing but whole wheat is ok in moderation and is a whole lat better than white. Also, there are margarines made from olive oil and such that have no trans fats and can be good for you in moderation.

Absolutely. I went to a diabetes education program last night, and the dietitian addressed the butter vs. margarine debate. Margarines originally were full of trans fats, so the advice made sense at one time, but many are made now with monounsaturated fats like olive oil, so they are much better. Most tub margarines have 70 calories per serving or less vs 100 for butter and its saturated fat, so the dietitian said margarine was a better choice. But you've got to read the labels.

The dietitian I talked to also discouraged juice because of the concentrated amount of sugar in a small serving. She recommended something like V8 Splash, a vegetable-fruit juice blend for juice lovers. It's not quite as sweet or as high in calories as orange juice.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    OP, the reason why people are getting grumpy with you is because your a relative newbie and you have come to the boards and posted us a list of what we cant eat. Many members in here are very sucessful in their weight loss missions without adhering to strict do's and don't. Your list appears to be loosely based on a few random facts and nothing more. It's comes across as very 'I know better than you' which isnt the best way to make friends and influence people.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned that Soylent Green has not been added to this list. After all, you know what they say about Soylent green, it's made out of.....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Wow, it appears to me that most of your parents never taught you the saying 'If you don't have anything nice [POSITIVE] to say, then don't say anything at all'!! Some of you are just plain rude and it is completely unnecessary. Grow up.

My thoughts exactly these threads are for sharing information that you think might help others with their weight loss NOT to have people being rude an immature because they don't agree or want to pick a fight. If you don't agree or have anything nice to say then move along.

BTW totally agree with all of these:flowerforyou:

So the both you believe that it is better to let false information get spread than to disagree and give people solutions that will actually work for them? Agreement is better than truth.

Got it, thanks
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Photogrrl what is with the hate, i'm just advising people. a nutritionist has given me this information, so it as to be right. i meant 4 there si no need to lash out at me when all i'm doing is trying to help people and myself. I see you have lost 30lb's good for you, but i am going to stick to what my nutritionist told me, after all they are the professionals and its facts. Say what you want, i dont care, all i care about is my health and other peoples. i have people backing me all the way and i hope you do too. People please stop hating i'm putting it out there for you as facts, you don't have to act on it if you dont want to. i put this up for positive reviews not negative.
    Your nutritionist is wrong. Find a new one.

Protip: Not everything everyone says is "fact", even when it comes from a "professional's" mouth.

QFT

I come from a long line of soy eaters so I think it is okay :wink: Going to go ahead and keep enjoying it :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wow, it appears to me that most of your parents never taught you the saying 'If you don't have anything nice [POSITIVE] to say, then don't say anything at all'!! Some of you are just plain rude and it is completely unnecessary. Grow up.

My thoughts exactly these threads are for sharing information that you think might help others with their weight loss NOT to have people being rude an immature because they don't agree or want to pick a fight. If you don't agree or have anything nice to say then move along.

BTW totally agree with all of these:flowerforyou:

So the both you believe that it is better to let false information get spread than to disagree and give people solutions that will actually work for them? Agreement is better than truth.

Got it, thanks

I'll take the blunt, snarky and potentially mean people any day :laugh: *hugs them all* :drinker:

You know who we are missing in here..Sara. Now that's a woman that knows her stuff. You should talk to her instead of your nutritionist..lol.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm eating edamame on wheat toast tomorrow in honor of this thread...

With a slab of margarine and side of OJ?
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    soy is only bad for men. Everything else listed is fine
  • amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat your carbs with your proteins you should be fine with them
  • mdyorston
    mdyorston Posts: 158
    Options
    I have seen a link to this information right here on MFP....have you all not seen the overripe banana with the words "five foods you must never eat" ?

That being said, to each his own. I am relatively new here and all this information can be a bit overwhelming, so for right now I'm just trying to make better choices, stay under 1530 and be more active. Baby steps
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Well I was gonna do a juice fast using orange juice from concentrate but now I think I'll use Mcdonalds orange drink instead. Thanks for this super duper helpful information.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Interesting how many people get worked up by an opinion that was copied and pasted by a 19 year old "Keen Teen" (OP's description of herself)
    Good for her for participating in the search for health.
    As we get older we get more perspective and things are less "black and white".
    It was interesting information, thanks for posting and being a part of this community.
    I will take what I think is useful from it and say thanks.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Oh FFS!!!

I'm pissing myself laughing at the whole 5 counted and 4 listed comments because people are so freaking funny on here.
    Lighten up! Find your sense of humor.

Sometimes I think our food deprivations in search of our goals make us so miserable that we forget what humor looks like...

TAKE HEART!!! You'll find yourself laughing more as you sort things out -- this whole fitness "JOURNEY" can indeed be a fun trip... it's not like getting an enema (tho I have heard that those help with those few pesky pounds that just wont go away) <~~~ :laugh:

I did not see these posts as rude... they were humorous. Step back and look again.

Lets laugh a little! It's great exercise for the abs... is contagious... and works wonders for your mood!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

4. Soy Products-

Good. I'm leaning toward veg, so I should just not eat protein anymore. That'll be really good for my muscles.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You lose weight from a caloric deficit.

Please cite studies that that show soy causes all these ailment.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19433_the-6-most-horrifying-lies-food-industry-feeding-you.html

True, backed by research, and horrifying enough to keep me away from those foods before I was concerned about health.

How is this backed by science? There are no studies cited.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19433_the-6-most-horrifying-lies-food-industry-feeding-you.html

True, backed by research, and horrifying enough to keep me away from those foods before I was concerned about health.
    Yeah, because cracked.com is renowned as being a reputable scientific research site.

I read the article - didn't see one peer-reviewed study cited. The majority of their references were a bunch of newspaper articles and Wikipedia. Not saying that some of their information may or may not be correct, but "backed by research" is certainly a specious claim.

As far as the OP goes - like any other food, it's all about context and dosage. I don't see anything on that list that nobody should ever eat/drink. Within the context of a diet in which you're getting adequate macro and micronutrients, there's nothing wrong with any (or all) of them being consumed in moderation.