My coworkers are making fun of my healthy eating habits

Options

Replies

• sunnyinaz78
    Options
    Haters! My boss asked me yesterday....and I quote "Do you sit on that bouncy ball (referring to an exercise ball) because your back hurts, I thought that would of been relieved by your weight loss"
    I never mentioned I had back issues before! I love the way haters jump to conclusions and give back handed compliments.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Tell them to f*** off. People who eat like crap don't like being around people that don't. They think you are just in a phase and that they can break you, because whenever they do it themselves it is just for a short amount of time "crash diet" and not a lifestyle change - and all it takes is a whiff of a french fry to knock them off the wagon so they think the same of you. After enough time they will realize this isn't a phase and they will either join you or not.
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've gotten TONS of, "that looks gross" and "why are you drinking that" from my co-workers since I started bringing my green smoothie to work.
    I kinda get it cause when I first saw it I thought NO WAY :noway: but it does taste yummy & packed with fiber & spinach!
    I bet when I'm looking & feeling way better than them at the end of the school year they are gonna wish they were drinking my green smoothie :laugh:
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Very carefully. I suck out all the juice first.

Try a cup of grape tomatoes, that's what I use and pop em like...well grapes.

Aside from that, I have some people at my work give me crap about the food I eat and never using the elevators here. The people who do that are also the most out of shape, laziest, complain all the time about being sick or injured, ect. So I consider the source and laugh at their shortcomings. On special occasions I take the time to pick everything they do apart right in front of them or drill them on how my whole pepper is gross but the big mac they are eating is not.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You're setting a great example and doing something healthy for yourself at the same time!
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just started a new job. When I went to the fridge to put my salad, yogurt, veggies in someone called out, "We have a rabbit in the house!" and another one said, "That's what food eats!" LOL. I just laugh it off.

I also get a lot of compliments about my eating habits. :) Always motivating. :)
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Fortunately my coworkers are feeding off of my healthy eating habits!! WOOOHOOO!
    They all used to eat out everyday, and most of them have started to bring in their own lunches.
    My boss is actually on Bodybuilder.com looking up recipes and has been cooking the night before to bring in his lunch.
    I'm so thankful I have been a positive influence.
    But they never made fun of me in the first place, at least not for my eating habits... I get made fun of all the time lmao
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Draw the offensive coworkers likeness on to a tomato with edible ink, make a little toothpick body and slowly bite into the "head' whilst staring directly at them. Maybe pointing at them with your free hand for emphasis. That's what I'd do
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    In my office I'm the "weird" one because I cook and "bring" my lunch. Which I find funny. Haven't humans cooked and made their own meals.....forever? THEY'RE the weird ones in my mind.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    they're bitter, jealous people who live sadder lives than you. they're people who resent you for taking control of your health while they lack the willpower to do the same.

you're better than them. so who gives a damn? :smile:
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You're coworkers are dilholes.
  • martyv73
    martyv73 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with what you are doing and they are just jealous they don't have the strength to make positive changes to their own lifestyle. Keep it up!!! Great job!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are really making fun of what you're eating so much as they are making fun of the way you are eating. I have never really seem someone eat a tomato or green pepper whole without cutting or slicing them up soo I would honestly think that is weird too. People make fun of things that they don't see as "normal", that doesn't make it right but its a fact of life.

Indeed *some* people do and it can be labelled bullying, racism, bigoted or plain rude .... it's not acceptable for a group to make fun of a someone for being clinically obese or having red hair, nor for their food choices regardless if those are driven by personal tastes, moral beliefs or religious persuasion. I was raised to be more respectful, inclusive and less judgmental, shame more people aren't. If we make fun of customers, clients or patients who are not 'normal' how long til we are out of work? But it's a fact of life if it's done to our colleagues and employees?
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both get picked on at work for our healthy eating habits. People will curl their nose and say "how do you eat that stuff". I just laugh and look at their oil soaked fries and say, "really?". I think people do it because picking on you makes them feel better because they just don't have the will power to break from the unhealthy habits that is societies norm.. It's ok for them not to eat healthy, but it is not ok for people to pick on your for caring about yourself.

Agreed. They're just picking on you to make themselves feel better. I saw a meme the other day... "Broccoli may get stuck in your teeth, but french fries get stuck in your *kitten*." Hahaha
  • digitalxhottie
    Options
    I work with food all day long! ( Deli ) and fortunatly I dont get made fun of b/c we sell these amazing salads. Half of them are full of carbs and the other half is like Superfood/Broccoli/ Kale salads. We also make ALOT of fried foods and now I have become resistant to the nasty greasy stuff - as before I would just inhale the bad before I would even consider the good. LoL

I like to eat the same stuff you do and I probably eat it the same way LoL I could probably eat a bell pepper whole :) Im not a huge fan of tomatoes, so a few cherry tomatoes and Im good. :)
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get the same thing at my work. haha. I'm definitely the "weird" one. I'm vegan and I eat extremely healthy like 80% of the time and people even think my stir-fry with tofu is weird, or meals with a large variety of veggies in it. Little do they know, I eat WAY weirder at home... like green smoothies with swiss chard, spinach, spirulina, flax, and fruit blended together. Dates, raw seeds, nutritional yeast, maca powder, hemp protein powder, etc. Now that's the kind of stuff I keep within my home so people don't make fun of me. I really shouldn't care, since everyone knows I eat healthy and have lost a large amount of weight.. but I still feel embarrassed when people talk about it as if I'm crazy.

Just keep doing your thing! You're better off with your healthy habits! :)

Bring all that stuff mainstream. Who cares what others think. You're eating it, they're not. People need exposure to healthy alternatives, even if they are weird. Green smoothies (even the ones that look like swamp sludge) are becoming more common. It's something that is easy to prepare ahead of time, easy to transport, and very filling and healthy for you. Whole foods are sooooo much better for you than super processed garbage. (I've been way slacking on that lately).

Don't be afraid of what others think. It will spark a conversation for sure. I've brought my vitamix blender to work and made basic fruit smoothies with spinach and the coworkers loved them. It's really more a mental thing. Make it common, and it eventually becomes the new normal. My 5yo has drank a super green colored smoothie before, and because she was drinking it, even after the inital weird face, my hubby finally tasted it and decided it was actually pretty good. Not what he expected it to taste like.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You have to show some backbone. There are always going to be *kitten*. About 20 years ago, a co-worker tried to act as if I was compulsive because I always washed my hands upon arriving in the office (the subway is disgusting) and of course, after using the toilet. I also will try not to touch the handle of the bathroom on the way out. I don't want pick up the same germs I just washed off.

And now I read that one of the most effective ways to avoid a cold is to wash one's hands frequently.

I've had similar issues with food. The comments usually come from people are overweight or obese and out of shape. They can't stand even a silent reminder that other people are trying to eat better.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I say we go kick their *kitten* right now. Who's with me?!

Wouldn't that be WONDERFUL?:flowerforyou:

One reason I couldn't stand the show "The Office" was it showed all these oddballs who were actually fairly nice. Some co-workers are malicious and can make your life hell for no other reason than that they have nothing else to do with their lives.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, very close to being vegan, and anytime my classmates see me eat salad or soup or a sandwich that doesn't have meat in it, they say things like"Look, she's eating what our food would eat", sometimes they ask if I'm getting help for my eating disorder...

But the best thing I've ever heard was when a teacher was eyeing my meat-free sandwich and giving me pity looks, so I eventually got tired and asked her if I could help her with something, and she said that she never realized I was too poor to make a real sandwich. Now, I don't normally laugh at people in their face, but at that moment I really couldn't hold it. Good thing that she was a good sport and laughed at herself when I explained her what was going on.

P. S. I don't think eating whole peppers and tomatoes is weird. In fact, I think it's cute.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

Indeed *some* people do and it can be labelled bullying, racism, bigoted or plain rude .... it's not acceptable for a group to make fun of a someone for being clinically obese or having red hair, nor for their food choices regardless if those are driven by personal tastes, moral beliefs or religious persuasion. I was raised to be more respectful, inclusive and less judgmental, shame more people aren't. If we make fun of customers, clients or patients who are not 'normal' how long til we are out of work? But it's a fact of life if it's done to our colleagues and employees?

I was once in an office in which a group of workers made fun of another worker's weight. She was quite obese. They exchanged hundreds of emails with mocking photos. Believe it or not, they were lawyers.

Needless to say, I knew nothing about it until was exposed. Had I known, I would have said something.

Ultimately, they were made to apologize, but the atmosphere remained tense. It was a very ugly incident.