Paleo Eating Program

Options
12346»

Replies

• lucasriggs
    Options
    Do you read what you type?
    In the same post you rant about ridicule and disrespect when you do the exact same thing.
    Actually it is my own valid opinion that one cannot fully understand something without first-hand experience.

Sorry but your opinion 'valid' opinion is false.
    You think there is no research that supports what I do? I guess because you've never challenged what you currently believe. Don't you think that i used to eat a SAD and wondered why I wasn't healthy as promised and was getting sicker?

I'm not saying this paleo nonsense isn't healthy(and there's no research to back it up) but it restrict certain food types which don't need to be restricted at all times.
  • bonnieellison96
    bonnieellison96 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am not on the paleo diet however, I am eating some of the paleo foods (pancakes, the coconut bread, etc.). The reason I am doing it is to find other foods that interest me and has a low carb count. I am diabetic. By eating this way will it eventually hurt me in the end or is it okay to mix it in with the way I eat?

It should be fine as long as you're watching the carbs/natural sugars closely =) I have quite a few friends that don't eat paleo/primal normally but they'll use paleo recipes and incorporate them into a few meals a week just to offer some different healthy choices. If you feel like you're missing certain nutrients, just look up which fruits and/or veggies are high in the nutrient you need more of, and try to find a way to incorporate that into the dish (for example, a lot of people have questions about calcium due to the absence of dairy, however things like spinach, kelp, oranges, broccoli, almonds, celery, sesame seeds, and okra are calcium rich foods).
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    It should be fine as long as you're watching the carbs/natural sugars closely =) I have quite a few friends that don't eat paleo/primal normally but they'll use paleo recipes and incorporate them into a few meals a week just to offer some different healthy choices. If you feel like you're missing certain nutrients, just look up which fruits and/or veggies are high in the nutrient you need more of, and try to find a way to incorporate that into the dish (for example, a lot of people have questions about calcium due to the absence of dairy, however things like spinach, kelp, oranges, broccoli, almonds, celery, sesame seeds, and okra are calcium rich foods).

You need ~750g spinach to get the recommended amount of calcium for a female or 400g almonds or 1.2kg okra or 500g kelp or 2.4kg of oranges, it really is not as simple as the proponents make out. IMO our paleolithic ancestors were getting most of their calcium from bones and shells not plants.

My problem with paleo is the interpretation, sanitisation and Americanisation, too many people want to just eat veggies and steak or bacon and call it paleo. They don't want to eat the oily fish, organ meats and seeds. There are even 'paleo' muffins FFS. Whyu are people willing to eat modern farmed food animals and produce imported from around the world and out of season but not modern farmed grains?
  • jaclynZ
    jaclynZ Posts: 49
    Options
    i didn't read through every post but this is basically anything that could be eaten raw. no legumes, starchy foods (beans potatos), or dairy. no sugars. lots of protein and fats with fruits/vegs. this is a diet for specific people - NOT for everyone. if you have a gluten intolerance it is good. athletes who do short workout (15minutes to the point of puking) bid well off this diet. not a great solution to weight loss because you technically are not supposed to count calories or anything while doing it.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    All I know is that, whatever it's called, a diet w/o grains & refined sugars works best for my body. I've known this for years, way before the "Plans" became widely known. I don't feel restricted because I remember how gross I felt when I ate sugar or grains. I now grab something else, of which there is plenty. I try to eat locally grown produce, eggs and meat, but if I can't I don't freak out.

Here's what's great for me: no more joint pain from the inflammation of arthritis. I don't have to wear my knee brace to boot camp! I can ride 24 miles on my mtn bike w/o icing my knee all night! I also have more energy and no more brain fog from my thyroid disorder. For years I was gluten-free at the suggestion of a nutritionist, but never felt 100% great. I decided to take it to the next level to see if cutting out all grains would help. I'm pleased so far!

I'm 60 years old and feel better now that I did 20 years ago.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    i didn't read through every post but this is basically anything that could be eaten raw. no legumes, starchy foods (beans potatos), or dairy. no sugars. lots of protein and fats with fruits/vegs. this is a diet for specific people - NOT for everyone. if you have a gluten intolerance it is good. athletes who do short workout (15minutes to the point of puking) bid well off this diet. not a great solution to weight loss because you technically are not supposed to count calories or anything while doing it.

You're making poor assumptions. It is the recommend diet for cross fitters.