Fasting to loose 10 pounds

Options

Replies

• eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    Why do you think a fast will help you stick to a long term plan? If you can't stick to a calorie deficit now, what will change when the fast is over?

Not trying to be mean, just asking you to really think about how this is going to help.

Have you tried looking at the Success and Motivation forums? Seriously, some of the stories are more than enough to inspire me to move my butt.
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7SfcbGf3NG0Dtx08RPRWObwjE1f5coL-xC_q_ch-2G3p0aMLlQRcZotOaqA

or....

this%2Bbody%2Bwas%2Bfed.png

we tell you this because we care. honest.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight it's because you're eating more than needed. You don't need to fast, you just need to cut back some calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

not to be offensive but you need to read what I wrote lol, I know how it works my problem is motivation
    Not offended. So you're saying it's discipline. Discipline comes from BURNING DESIRE. You don't have it, so you need to figure out how to get it. No one can do it for you, urge you to do it, force you to do it, you just have to have it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about fasting to lose 10lbs....but if you're trying everything you honestly can and the scale continues to go up....have you had your thyroid checked out? Only reason I ask, is because I have had a total thyroidectomy - and i know...that if your thyroid is jacked up (aka 'the oil that runs your engine' as I had my endocrinologist refer to it as lol) - it can really jack with your efforts and make total and absolute frustration. If you find your weight going up without cause, and you have muscle stiffness and cramps without cause, lethargic, uninterested in life, depressed, etc - you may want to check that out too. hope that helps :)
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight fast all you need to is stick to a calorie deficit. No need for any crazy stuff. A bit of exercise will help too

Exercise is really hard cause I have a spine injury, it gets better as I loos weight, the problem I am haivng is I am trying to do this the conventional way but i JUST KEEP RAISING IN NUMBER, SO i AM THINKING IF i START THIS OFF WITH SOMETHING EXTREM IT WILL FINALLY CLICK AGAIN, 10 POUNDS FOR ME ISNT ALL THAT MUCH

(sorry I didnt realise I had caps lock on hahah any way 10 pounds really isnt much for me, I have lost that in a week before with a normal diet and exercise plan
    start with walking and sitting exercises, even a little exercise will help
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    How will losing 10 pounds fast make you develop "discipline"? It is about life style changes... get rid of the junk, figure out what your calorie intake is in order to lose 1-2 pounds a week, buy some healthy low cal foods that won't make you feel hungry, and stick with it. Maybe speak with your doctor? I don't think rapid weight loss is a good idea or is recommended.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight through some quick fix and then drop that method (fasting, juicing, etc, etc...), do you really think you're going to keep it off or stick to a plan? The fact that you say you lose weight easily but are at your highest weight indicates that this might be an issue.

Everyone offered some very helpful advice for safely and consistently losing weight. It's your choice to take it or leave it.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You don't need to restrict that much, just quit eating more than you need and you'll be dandy.

You say you don't have motivation, but no one is going to hand you weight loss on a silver platter. You have to want it bad enough to do something about it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Last year I lost 30 pounds in three months by excersie and eating around 2000 to 1500, I want to go back to that but I cant get myself motivated so I was going to push myself past 10 pounds then i can loos the extra 100

Stop waiting for motivation to fall out of the sky and get committed. Motivation comes and goes and can't be depended on. Commit to eating within your calorie guidelines and leave these ineffective quick fixes alone
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    Why do you think a fast will help you stick to a long term plan? If you can't stick to a calorie deficit now, what will change when the fast is over?

Not trying to be mean, just asking you to really think about how this is going to help.

Have you tried looking at the Success and Motivation forums? Seriously, some of the stories are more than enough to inspire me to move my butt.

last year I lost 30 pounds in three months by eatin around 2000 to 1500 so I know I can do this, but for some reason this time around is really hard for me to just FRUCKING put the donut down, lol so I am thinking once I am on a roll I can take it from there
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options

Last year I lost 30 pounds in three months by excersie and eating around 2000 to 1500, I want to go back to that but I cant get myself motivated so I was going to push myself past 10 pounds then i can loos the extra 100

Stop waiting for motivation to fall out of the sky and get committed. Motivation comes and goes and can't be depended on. Commit to eating within your calorie guidelines and leave these ineffective quick fixes alone

boo I dont likie your answer lol but thank you =)
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    With respect, I have to tell you - that's a terrible idea.

I have BEEN where you are. If you are close to 300 pounds, it's not a lose-quick-fast you should be investigating. Yes, you will lose weight if you do it. It will play havoc with your metabolism, you WILL gain it back, and you will have accomplished little other than putting your body through something it doesn't need to be put through.

With that said, I've tried this approach. I've done it. It's a band-aid effect that doesn't address the larger issue. Fast does not equal healthy or sustainable. You may even be thinking "Oh, that'll be a catalyst! My stomach will shrink! It's a jump start." It's not any of those things. It's..... just flawed thinking.

I realize this may sound harsh, preachy, and judgmental. It is. If you are serious about wanting to lose weight (and keep it off), approach this in a way that can stick. That's not a time-limited fast. As someone else said, motivation usually doesn't just happen. You have to START. Fake it until you make it. Make smart decisions for the next 10 minutes. Repeat. Repeat again.

You've got a lot of can'ts in your vocabulary. A lot of excuses that are pretending to be as reasons. Maybe you just don't want it bad enough yet. That doesn't make you "bad" or a "failure"... but it might mean you're not ready to do what's necessary. I hope that changes soon for you. It will only if the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change.

My best to you.
    o.k. So got on the scale today and it was up 2 more pounds, I am once again the heaveist I have been EVER and I pushed that numer up too =( I am not fare away from 300 and thats scaring the shnit out of me!

I just seemed to have lost all my desapline, and its hard to work out cause my back injury (I still do as much as I can) soo I have to do something here so I was thinking about doing a fruit and veggie fast until I loose 10 pounds just to get this dame ball rolling, any body eles done this before. I am thinking it would only take like a week, I loose weight fast
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    How will losing 10 pounds fast make you develop "discipline"? It is about life style changes... get rid of the junk, figure out what your calorie intake is in order to lose 1-2 pounds a week, buy some healthy low cal foods that won't make you feel hungry, and stick with it. Maybe speak with your doctor? I don't think rapid weight loss is a good idea or is recommended.

I need to loos 100 pounds the 10 is just to get me started, a lot of doctors reconmend fruit fasts as a way to detox, its really not unhealthy if your filling up on fruit and veggies
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    If you're ultimate goal is to lose weight and keep it off, then you need to focus on changing the way you eat and live.

I understand, you want to jump start your weight loss, but honestly a fast isn't the way. A good way to jumpstart your real weight loss is to go into your kitchen and throw everything that isn't considered 'healthy' out. Anything that you can't control yourself around. Then go to the store, and buy only foods that you can and want to eat that wont make you eat out of your macros.. so lots of fruit and veg, lean meats, etc.

Another good tip is to plan your means ahead of time, then make a grocery list based on your meal plan. Make sure you have plenty of healthy snacks handy for when you get hungry!

Take the advice of these people, find out your TDEE BMR, etc... or you can just do something even easier and eat exactly how many calories MFP tells you to! If you lose weight so fast, then it isn't going to be hard. Like what someone said above, when you fast you wont be losing 10 lbs of fat. It will be water for the most part, so be prepared to gain some of it back when you eat regularly again. Good luck.

Awesome advise. Well said :flowerforyou:
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    TDEE (No higher)

<---Set Cals here somewhere

BMR (No lower)

Exactly what I was about to say, it's not rocket science! Please dont starve yourself, a quick fix will acheive nothing.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    What you need is discipline, not fasting... you said in your post that you figured you could lose 10lbs in a week if you fasted, but then in the thread you at one point said you could lose 10lbs in a week if you ate right (or followed your diet, or something like that, forget the exact wording). So you know what you have to do, but you have to stick with it. Losing 10lbs a week via eating right is a lot, you must be really cutting your calories drastically. That probably isn't much fun so you binge, or maybe just stop counting calories, or what ever it was that you were doing that first week. Instead of trying to lose 10lbs, just try 2-4... you'll be eating a lot more and have a little bit of room for a taste of your favorite foods etc so you won't be as likely to give up. Sure that 10lbs is fun to see come off in a week, but if you can't keep it off then its time to try a different approach, one that isn't as 'instantly gratifying' but one that gets you to your goal eventually.
  • hawapatel123
    hawapatel123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yep-ive fasted and lost a dress size in a week-mainly water weight
    does work but not healthy, u feel grumpy, hungry and tired constantly then end up pigging out at some point!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

last year I lost 30 pounds in three months by eatin around 2000 to 1500 so I know I can do this, but for some reason this time around is really hard for me to just FRUCKING put the donut down, lol so I am thinking once I am on a roll I can take it from there
    What happen to the roll last year?

IDEA Fitness member
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    With respect, I have to tell you - that's a terribly idea.

I have BEEN where you are. If you are close to 300 pounds, it's not a lose-quick-fast you should be investigating. Yes, you will lose weight if you do it. It will play havoc with your metabolism, you WILL gain it back, and you will have accomplished little other than putting your body through something it doesn't need to be put through.

With that said, I've tried this approach. I've done it. It's a band-aid effect that doesn't address the larger issue. Fast does not equal healthy or sustainable. You may even be thinking "Oh, that'll be a catalyst! My stomach will shrink! It's a jump start." It's not any of those things. It's..... just flawed thinking.

I realize this may sound harsh, preachy, and judgmental. It is. If you are serious about wanting to lose weight (and keep it off), approach this in a way that can stick. That's not a time-limited fast.

My best to you.
    o.k. So got on the scale today and it was up 2 more pounds, I am once again the heaveist I have been EVER and I pushed that numer up too =( I am not fare away from 300 and thats scaring the shnit out of me!

I just seemed to have lost all my desapline, and its hard to work out cause my back injury (I still do as much as I can) soo I have to do something here so I was thinking about doing a fruit and veggie fast until I loose 10 pounds just to get this dame ball rolling, any body eles done this before. I am thinking it would only take like a week, I loose weight fast

My mother has done this and its been affective for her, I do see what your saying I know its a quick cheap thing, but hell I am willing to try something to see if this will get mybutt in gear, but thank you =)
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options

What happen to the roll last year?

IDEA Fitness member

this is going to sound really lame but at supper bowl I over ate for the first time, and it sent me back to gorging on food, I gain it back with in 5 months wich is slower then I lost it