Fasting to loose 10 pounds

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Well good luck with whatever you do. I'm not against fasting, but I think that you're doing it for the wrong reason.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    I fast as part of my spiritual life, but I never do it to lose weight. It won't be a real loss, it's better to analyze & take stock of how it isn't working for you now & change that.
    Have you thought of a diabetic diet?

I want to fast to get disapline so I think it would fall inline with my spiritul needs, =)
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I used to have a book - till I loaned it out - called, 7 Ways to Jump Start Your Diet. It has some shorter term suggestions to do what you are suggesting. It is by no means a lifestyle change though, it is a 1-5 day jumpstart, you would have to have a more reasonable plan past that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I fast as part of my spiritual life, but I never do it to lose weight. It won't be a real loss, it's better to analyze & take stock of how it isn't working for you now & change that.

I want to fast to get disapline so I think it would fall inline with my spiritul needs, =)

So, your spiritual needs are to lose weight?
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    All you guys posting valuable advice are wasting your time. Nothing you can say to someone who is insistent about learning the hard way *shrug*
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options

lol yea my problem is I don't want it bad enough right now and thats what is scaring me, I cant see an end to were I will take this lol, I am going down a very destructive road and I figure this is simple, just dam it only eat fruits and veggies, and let this get me started, if after a week I don't loos 10 pounds I will stop

Ok, so there's the crux of it. So why put your body through that to see a 10 lb loss that won't stick? Yo-Yo'ing really can damage your metabolism. If you're not ready, you're not ready. Maybe just start thinking about what might work for you. Make a plan. Don't even try to make changes now. Perhaps starting that way will help. Then work on building your own motivation. Crystallize your goals. Enlist others if it's helpful. Make a plan.
  • traceface71
    traceface71 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you have the discipline to do a fast for the time it'll take to lose 10lbs. (regardless of how quickly you'll lose it) then doesn't it stand to reason you have the discipline to do it healthier? I totally understand the desire to "kickstart" things but if you're already struggling to maintain your calorie defecit, I think you're setting yourself up for more failure.

I agree with others that you've already made up your mind...I wish you the best of luck. I'm hoping maybe you're just stubborn and will use our feedback as motivation to prove us wrong. Looking forward to an update...again, good luck.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    How do you plan on sticking to a fast, if right now, you can't stick to a normal calorie deficit? I would work on that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what the question is. You seem to have made up your mind before posting.

kinda wanted to hear from tohers who have done this

And instead you found many people telling you what a horrible idea it is.

Things that make you go "hmmm".

the majority of people in Germany thought Hitler was great... things that make you go hmmmmm

LOL! Wow, you really should refrain from using historical references you clearly don't understand.

maybe you should take a history class, if you don't think Hitler wasn't well loved in Germany, he pulled them out of a great depression, and what you think he killed all those people him self? deerr
    I'm an historian, you have no idea what you're talking about. Incidentally, you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to nutrition, either, so I shouldn't be surprised.
  • deeray
    deeray Posts: 103 Member
    Options

LOL!!!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    TDEE (No higher)

<---Set Cals here somewhere

BMR (No lower)

THIS ^^^^^^^^
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    K so let me see if I have this right...

You lack the disapline to eat healthy foods up to a daily calories goal but you have the disapline to eat nothing but fruits and vegetables for a week?

It's easier to stick with a calorie goal. Eat whatever you want up to the goal. Simple.

Losing 10lbs will not provide you with motivation or disapline. Fasting will not provide you with disapline. You have to WANT it... which you don't.. at least not right now. You need to wait until you do before you hurt yourself more than you are helping.

Sure, you may lose 10lbs quick... but I would imagine you would want that to come from fat and not muscle and water? And what are you going to do if you fast and lose 10lbs when you gain those 10lbs back after you start eating normally again? Will you lose your motivation again?

Stop looking for only those responses who agree with you. Listen to what has been posted and suggested.

If you don't have the disapline now... you won't after 10lbs... and you definately won't be able to stick to a fast.
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options

Disapline, self countol in my religion its a fruit of His spirit, I LACK SELF CONTROL
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what the question is. You seem to have made up your mind before posting.

kinda wanted to hear from tohers who have done this

And instead you found many people telling you what a horrible idea it is.

Things that make you go "hmmm".

the majority of people in Germany thought Hitler was great... things that make you go hmmmmm

Yeah. This is exactly like Nazi Germany.
    And Germany was far from the WORLD majority .
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Alright I am going to do to you what one of my friends on here did for me nearly two years ago. I was whining about how I didn't have time to exercise...I had gotten a decent handle on my eating, but at the time I was working full time and driving two hours a day. I was married with a 4 year old and volunteered 2 to 3 days a week. I was freaking busy. I went on and on about how I couldn't get up any earlier or stay up and later or shift anything to make it work. She said the following phrase...

YOU ARE NOT READY!

It made me ill. I knew what I needed to do, but I hadn't figured out how to make it happen. That night I went right down to my basement and did a workout DVD. Try getting a handle on one thing first, food or exercise. Give yourself a month or so to get in a routine, then add the other one in. Trying to make too many changes at one time doesn't stick for a lot of people. So here I am, telling you that you are not ready. Take it or leave it.

This is awesome advice ^^^.

My cracking point was 249lbs. I had to ask myself, did I want to be a 250lb bird, WELL, did I?!

When someone pointed out that I was not ready, I felt sick at the truth of this and realised that to change my body, I had to change my mindset, there was no diet "kickstart" in the world that was going to get me on the path to losing 100lbs safely and consistently.

So I changed my life to change my body:

I recorded everything I ate and reigned in my portions
    I changed my job so I was obliged to walk for 90 mins a day to get to work.
    I did my "TV time" on the exercise bike or not at all.
    I lifted heavy stuff
    I (the fat bird) ran 5k .... 3 times in 1 week

Then *funnily enough* I started losing weight.

You have to work for the long term and to believe in a change in lifestyle results in a change in body, Then *"magically" it works

*Disclaimer - no magic involved, just work.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    All you guys posting valuable advice are wasting your time. Nothing you can say to someone who is insistent about learning the hard way *shrug*

Even if it doesn't get through to OP, she's not the only one who may read it, so it's never a waste of time to say something if you think you can help with the issue at hand.
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    K so let me see if I have this right...

You lack the disapline to eat healthy foods up to a daily calories goal but you have the disapline to eat nothing but fruits and vegetables for a week?

It's easier to stick with a calorie goal. Eat whatever you want up to the goal. Simple.

Losing 10lbs will not provide you with motivation or disapline. You have to WANT it... which you don't. You need to wait until you do before you hurt yourself more than you are helping.

Sure, you may lose 10lbs quick... but I would imagine you would want that to come from fat and not muscle and water?

Stop looking for only those responses who agree with you. Listen to what has been posted and suggested.

If you don't have the disapline now... you won't after 10lbs... and you definately won't be able to stick to a fast.

I dissagree, I think this will get my butt into gear, my mother thinks it will too, and she knows me very well,

the reason its easier is cause I can say NO ONLY furits and veggies, and just stick to that, but if Im like ok eat the good stuff but only to right ... there... I wont I will be all over the yummy foode, soo I dont know but I am damiging myself right now, Doctors sugjest people get bypass surgery and they have to basically rrestict to like 500 cals a day for months not healhty but healthy then what ehy were doing
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    How crappy do you feel right now? You never have to feel this way again! Use your pain as your motivator, since pain is the best motivator of them all!

i personally would not recommend more than a 3-day fast. I have a couple of ideas if you wanna shoot me a PM.

And to those who said you don't have to exercise to lose weight...I credit EXERCISE for AT LEAST 50% of my success in taking off my 70lbs and EXERCISE is the REASON why I've kept it off for over 20 years. Because there were some times, especially in my 20s, that my eating left A LOT to be desired!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Disapline, self countol in my religion its a fruit of His spirit, I LACK SELF CONTROL

Whatever way you want to twist it and justify it to make yourself feel better about doing it, you are ignoring every single person's advice who has posted. Which is your prerogative. I still wonder why you bothered posting this topic.

I am basically done here. Have a great day!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I do appreciate your attitude and not becoming defensive, so thank you. I edited my post but for some reason it didn't stick.

As someone else said, motivation usually doesn't just happen. You have to START. Fake it until you make it. Make smart decisions for the next 10 minutes. Repeat. Repeat again.

You've got a lot of can'ts in your vocabulary. A lot of excuses that are pretending to be as reasons. Maybe you just don't want it bad enough yet. That doesn't make you "bad" or a "failure"... but it might mean you're not ready to do what's necessary. I hope that changes soon for you. It will occur if the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change.

You're young, smart, have a lot ahead of you. You mentioned others that have been successful with this approach. I'm not sure how you define success. If your only goal is to lose 10 - then yes, maybe you can have success with this approach. If it's to get into a groove that can help you lose 100... this is not the way. I really think it comes down to how you view eating and increasing your activity. That's my problem with your scenario - not will it hurt you to do it (No, it won't for a few days). My problem with it is that it continues an "easy" approach instead of what you need to go the long haul.

I'm getting off and packing up my soap box now. :-)

lol yea my problem is I don't want it bad enough right now and thats what is scaring me, I cant see an end to were I will take this lol, I am going down a very destructive road and I figure this is simple, just dam it only eat fruits and veggies, and let this get me started, if after a week I don't loos 10 pounds I will stop

Stop setting yourself up for failure and disapointment. Losing 10lbs in a week is not safe... it will also not all be fat loss. It will be fat, water and muscle. You eat only fruits and veggies for a week, lose 10lbs.. great... what will you do when you eat normally and gain it all back?

If you don't want ti bad enough now... you won't after 10lbs. Stop fooling yourself.

Eat well and work towards a goal day by day.