Another Thought About Milk

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I was having arguments with people (taso) who feel that 800-1000 calories of fast food EVERY DAY is fine.

a donut every couple days that's 270 calories is a massive difference.

hey now! just noticed this.

no, this is false. find somewhere on the internet where i said or implied "800-1000 calories of fast food every day is fine" and I will paypal you $20.

I had a feeling this statement was false. The IIFYM counter arguments tend towards the straw man variety and I was thinking this had gone there.

I stalk Taso :love: never have I ever seen him imply anything like that was a good idea...Maybe you may have taken his intense and overly obvious sarcasm as serious?
  • AshleyNicolexo_
    Options
    That's what I believe about milk and I also read that's why lactose intolerance is so common because our bodies aren't made to digest it. I read that if you do want to drink milk then to drink goat's milk because that was the first animal dairy that our species started drinking (other than human milk) so our bodies are able to digest that better.

I personally love the taste of almond milk so much more anyway.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    All sentient animals eat what they can. End of story.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    That's what I believe about milk and I also read that's why lactose intolerance is so common because our bodies aren't made to digest it. I read that if you do want to drink milk then to drink goat's milk because that was the first animal dairy that our species started drinking (other than human milk) so our bodies are able to digest that better.

Did you know the main carbohydrate in human breast milk is also lactose? Yet we still develop lactose intolerance.. so why is it lactose from cows that causes it? Haven't we been drinking breast milk for ages longer than cow's milk?

did you know how bad the added chemicals in almond milk are? Did you know the calcium added into almond milk is mostly chalk?
  • Mandybean88
    Options
    I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, but lots of animals do continue to drink milk once they are completely weaned. It's often a comfort thing; I have seen stressed or insecure calves continue to suckle when they are far too big really, if their mum lets them... usually the mother will not allow an infant to continue nursing, if for example, she has a new baby to feed but on the occasions the mothers are easy going, I think some individual animals would keep drinking milk long into adulthood, if they could get away with it. So it's always just a human thing, and it's not always just a food/meal thing either. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Without milk I can't enjoy milk chocolate......................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JackieAC1951
    JackieAC1951 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I say to each their own. As for me, drinking milk and other dairy products helps to relieve the "charley horses" in my legs at nightime. Has anyone every awoken with a severe cramp in the back of the calf or top of thighs of their legs? Not pleasant, I can assure you, not to mention interruption to sound sleeping. Have a great day everyone!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Did you know the main carbohydrate in human breast milk is also lactose? Yet we still develop lactose intolerance.. so why is it lactose from cows that causes it? Haven't we been drinking breast milk for ages longer than cow's milk?

did you know how bad the added chemicals in almond milk are? Did you know the calcium added into almond milk is mostly chalk?

the chalk thing's silly. just because it's a mineral doesn't make it bad for you. but i agree on the other chemicals in almond milk.

and we're not saying it's just cow's milk - human's lose the enzyme to break down lactose as they age. that includes all milk.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I say to each their own. As for me, drinking milk and other dairy products helps to relieve the "charley horses" in my legs at nightime. Has anyone every awoken with a severe cramp in the back of the calf or top of thighs of their legs? Not pleasant, I can assure you, not to mention interruption to sound sleeping. Have a great day everyone!

Look at your magnesium intake.
  • CoderGal
    Options

I also read the reason why lactose intolerance is so common is we keep breeding and breeding people with weaker immune systems when back in the day people who had a weaker immune system and had certain food intolerances would just die off :tongue:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

the chalk thing's silly. just because it's a mineral doesn't make it bad for you. but i agree on the other chemicals in almond milk.

and we're not saying it's just cow's milk - human's lose the enzyme to break down lactose as they age. that includes all milk.

Another blanket statement about all humans. This is why you're getting flamed.
  • CoderGal
    Options

It doesn't make it necessarily bad but the fortified calcium drinks aren't absorbed as well so it's more useless. Also, do you have any references for the enzyme thing? Never heard of it before.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

It doesn't make it necessarily bad but the fortified calcium drinks aren't absorbed as well so it's more useless. Also, do you have any references for the enzyme thing? Never heard of it before.

From a quick google search:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm
    In normal humans, the enzyme that does so —lactase— stops being produced when the person is between two and five years old. The undigested sugars end up in the colon, where they begin to ferment, producing gas that can cause cramping, bloating, nausea, flatulence and diarrhea.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

*sigh*

the humans that CAN digest milk as adults are in the minority and have a genetic adaptation. it's not "normal"

read the link I just posted.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    This is FASCINATING!
    It's not normal. Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people.

Evolution at work.

So no, we're not "meant" to drink milk, but we white folk have adapted over thousands of years to be able to digest it. So we're all right. Haha
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

In normal humans, the enzyme that does so —lactase— stops being produced when the person is between two and five years old. The undigested sugars end up in the colon, where they begin to ferment, producing gas that can cause cramping, bloating, nausea, flatulence and diarrhea.
    [/quote]

Way to select something to support your argument and ignore the rest

"Author Mark Thomas of University College London's dept of Genetics, Evolution and Environment says: "In Europe, a single genetic change...is strongly associated with lactase persistence and appears to have given people with it a big survival advantage."
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Way to select something to support your argument and ignore the rest

"Author Mark Thomas of University College London's dept of Genetics, Evolution and Environment says: "In Europe, a single genetic change...is strongly associated with lactase persistence and appears to have given people with it a big survival advantage."

look up.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

*sigh*

the humans that CAN digest milk as adults are in the minority and have a genetic adaptation. it's not "normal"

read the link I just posted.
    Most sources show about 30-35 % of humankind to be lactose intolerant, mostly because of Chinese, African-American, Jewish, Mexican-American, and Native American Adults who have no to little history of milk consumption. About 70% of the total population show declined lactase. Personally I love dairy, it taste good, and as a French trained chef and spending some time in Modena Italy and being involved with how Parmigiano-Reggiano is made and it's effect on whole regions of Italy where it's produced is something to see. touring the Ferrari plant and museum was a bonus. Of course they have a slightly different opinion of dairy than the most of the people in NA who seemingly jumped on a bandwagen to denounce milk for the better good of mankind.........and I would suspect most of these people have never seen milk or it's products outside of a supermarket. If someone is lactose intolerant, then don't consume it, otherwise enjoy all the products made from milk.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If someone is lactose intolerant, then don't consume it, otherwise enjoy all the products made from milk.

^ sticky please
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I know there's another "milk" thread going on but my question is different....

A friend sent this to me earlier, wanted to see what you all thought:

"Milk is for baby cows. Period. We're the only species to drink the milk from another species, and we're also the only species who continues to drink milk after infancy. "

Thoughts?

(PS - Cow/Heffer gifs welcome..... I'm not easily offended!!!) :)

We are also the only species to perform brain surgery, use telephones, and fly to the moon. So by your friend's logic, we should only do the things that other animals do? The automotive industry's gonna have a field day with that one.

Contrarily, the argument "no other species drinks milk past infancy" is ignoring the fact that no other species CAN drink milk past infancy. Last I checked, dogs lack the know'-how, opposable thumbs, and equipment to milk goats. Even if they COULD procure milk from other animals, show me one dog who would refuse to drink it, on the principal of "I'm past my infancy".

We are humans, not animals. We were given tools and intelligence higher than and apart from animals for a reason.