Another Thought About Milk

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I know there's another "milk" thread going on but my question is different....

A friend sent this to me earlier, wanted to see what you all thought:

"Milk is for baby cows. Period. We're the only species to drink the milk from another species, and we're also the only species who continues to drink milk after infancy. "

Thoughts?

(PS - Cow/Heffer gifs welcome..... I'm not easily offended!!!) :)

We are also the only species to perform brain surgery, use telephones, and fly to the moon. So by your friend's logic, we should only do the things that other animals do? The automotive industry's gonna have a field day with that one.

Contrarily, the argument "no other species drinks milk past infancy" is ignoring the fact that no other species CAN drink milk past infancy. Last I checked, dogs lack the know'-how, opposable thumbs, and equipment to milk goats. Even if they COULD procure milk from other animals, show me one dog who would refuse to drink it, on the principal of "I'm past my infancy".

We are humans, not animals. We were given tools and intelligence higher than and apart from animals for a reason.

*applause*
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Um, unless you're a cannibal, isn't everything we eat from another species? Beef, chicken, pork, fish? All not human, and yet you don't hear too many people (other than vegetarians and vegans) trying to make a controversy about it/
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    we drink almond/coconut milk because we like it more. After a few months of dairy free, I am now lactose intolerant. I am okay with that. It is much better than feeling like an elephant is sitting on my chest after eating cheese/drinking milk. Almond/coconut milk tastes amazing in cereal too. I don't miss it all.

*my kids still have cow's milk at school and eat cheese. As a Celiac, it is pretty common to become lactose intolerant as well.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    That's what I believe about milk and I also read that's why lactose intolerance is so common because our bodies aren't made to digest it. I read that if you do want to drink milk then to drink goat's milk because that was the first animal dairy that our species started drinking (other than human milk) so our bodies are able to digest that better.

I personally love the taste of almond milk so much more anyway.

Did you know the main carbohydrate in human breast milk is also lactose? Yet we still develop lactose intolerance.. so why is it lactose from cows that causes it? Haven't we been drinking breast milk for ages longer than cow's milk?

did you know how bad the added chemicals in almond milk are? Did you know the calcium added into almond milk is mostly chalk?

the chalk thing's silly. just because it's a mineral doesn't make it bad for you. but i agree on the other chemicals in almond milk.

and we're not saying it's just cow's milk - human's lose the enzyme to break down lactose as they age. that includes all milk.

Another blanket statement about all humans. This is why you're getting flamed.

*sigh*

the humans that CAN digest milk as adults are in the minority and have a genetic adaptation. it's not "normal"

read the link I just posted.

You're really losing me here as to your point.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I think the point may be that those of us who aren't lactose intolerant are special little snowflakes. Or something like that.
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love all the different OPINIONS.....from people, scientists, doctors, books, websites, Tv shows movies. REALLY exactly who knows what the truth really is. Reasoning on both sides can make sense, as with alot of issues. How does it make you feel? How does it effect your weight loss? Everyone is different. As far as nutrition there are so many foods you can get good stuff from. Milk does not stand alone. What might be good for you might not for someone else. Sometimes if I am not confused about something, just wait a minute and I will be, especially with Media!!! I get frustrated:mad:
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options
    I love all the different OPINIONS.....from people, scientists, doctors, books, websites, Tv shows movies. REALLY exactly who knows what the truth really is. Reasoning on both sides can make sense, as with alot of issues. How does it make you feel? How does it effect your weight loss? Everyone is different. As far as nutrition there are so many foods you can get good stuff from. Milk does not stand alone. What might be good for you might not for someone else. Sometimes if I am not confused about something, just wait a minute and I will be, especially with Media!!! I get frustrated:mad:

I'm going with listen to the scientists who have studies that back up their claims.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options
    I think the point may be that those of us who aren't lactose intolerant are special little snowflakes. Or something like that.

Replace "little" with "muscular" and you may be on to something. :drinker:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I have had adult cats who would happily nurse right along with the kittens when another cat had a litter.

Other animals don't have an alphabet either, so I guess we'd better give up this writing stuff. It's not natural!
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because it's lower in calories, but I will never stop eating cheese. Ever.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Other animals don't have an alphabet either, so I guess we'd better give up this writing stuff. It's not natural!

QFT!
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just don't like milk - except in something else. But, to sit and drink a glass of milk yuck - unless it is chocolate. I will eat cheese and I love cheese. But, I can't tell you how many gallons of milk have gone to waste in my frig. To each his own I guess.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I still think mental health is important...
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I'm going with listen to the scientists who have studies that back up their claims.

i posted studies. sorry bro. so much for being reasonable. haha
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    quoted

*sigh*

the humans that CAN digest milk as adults are in the minority and have a genetic adaptation. it's not "normal"
    read the link I just posted."

Really? I have a genetic adaption that enables me to digest milk as an adult and I am not "normal"? Me and everyone else I know then. Minority? I think not!

Long live the mutant milk drinkers :drinker: :drinker:
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Not all studies are made the same bro. ha ha (still not sure what "bro" or "ha ha" adds, particularly after you've PMd me repeatedly asking to be reasonable and claiming that you're put on). I've tried and tried but you don't seem to think through what your'e reading with a critical eye unless it disagrees with your conspiracy theories. Out of curiosity, what kind of "coach" are you?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What studies? You posted an article from USA today and a blog from Dr Weil.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    quoted

*sigh*

read the link I just posted."

Really? I have a genetic adaption that enables me to digest milk as an adult and I am not "normal"? Me and everyone else I know then. Minority? I think not!

Long live the mutant milk drinkers :drinker: :drinker:
    It's actually around 35% that are lactose intolerant, which gets confused with the 70% that have some aversion to it, but not all products and not all the time......this somehow translates into I want to save the world from the evils of milk.....pretty funny unless you have to protect a biased thinking, then it makes sense, on that level, I would imagine.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

read the link I just posted.

But it's 'normal' to be vegan? And 'normal' to get calcium from almond milk fortified with chalk? According to your link my genetic adaptation is a big survival advantage, be pretty dumb to ignore for the sake of conformity wouldn't it?

"Today, the highest proportion of people with lactase persistence live in Northwest Europe, especially the Netherlands, Ireland and Scandinavia. But the computer model suggests that dairy farmers carrying this gene variant probably originated in central Europe and then spread more widely and rapidly than non-dairying groups.

Author Mark Thomas of University College London's dept of Genetics, Evolution and Environment says: "In Europe, a single genetic change...is strongly associated with lactase persistence and appears to have given people with it a big survival advantage."
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    That's what I believe about milk and I also read that's why lactose intolerance is so common because our bodies aren't made to digest it. I read that if you do want to drink milk then to drink goat's milk because that was the first animal dairy that our species started drinking (other than human milk) so our bodies are able to digest that better.

I personally love the taste of almond milk so much more anyway.

Did you know the main carbohydrate in human breast milk is also lactose? Yet we still develop lactose intolerance.. so why is it lactose from cows that causes it? Haven't we been drinking breast milk for ages longer than cow's milk?

did you know how bad the added chemicals in almond milk are? Did you know the calcium added into almond milk is mostly chalk?

the chalk thing's silly. just because it's a mineral doesn't make it bad for you. but i agree on the other chemicals in almond milk.

and we're not saying it's just cow's milk - human's lose the enzyme to break down lactose as they age. that includes all milk.
    It doesn't make it necessarily bad but the fortified calcium drinks aren't absorbed as well so it's more useless. Also, do you have any references for the enzyme thing? Never heard of it before.

From a quick google search:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm
    In normal humans, the enzyme that does so —lactase— stops being produced when the person is between two and five years old. The undigested sugars end up in the colon, where they begin to ferment, producing gas that can cause cramping, bloating, nausea, flatulence and diarrhea.
    Considering her credentials consist of not a scientist/nutritionalist/anything of the like and in her linkin profile she spelled her university wrong and she is a journalist, not a scientist, who happens to not site things she says, do you have anything from a credible source with credentials? I know I've seen some pretty stupid unreliable things in news papers....