Another Thought About Milk

Options

Replies

• keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Almond milk also has Carrageenan, which I try to stay away from.

Dr. Blaylock says about carrageenan (Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life; pg. 196):

"Carrageenan is a rather new additive. It is a complex polysaccharide extract made from seaweed, and is used as a binding agent. Experimentally, carrageenan is used as an agent to induce intense inflammation in experimental animals. A recent study found that when carrageenan was injected in animals along with a cancer-causing chemical, tumors appeared more rapidly and in significantly higher numbers than in control animals injected with carcinogen alone. The same was seen when human breast cancers were implanted in animals along with carrageenan: the combination made the tumores grow faster and spread more widely than in control animals. As a result, carrageenan is classified as a tumor promotor.
    "

Good to know!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I love all the different OPINIONS.....from people, scientists, doctors, books, websites, Tv shows movies. REALLY exactly who knows what the truth really is. Reasoning on both sides can make sense, as with alot of issues. How does it make you feel? How does it effect your weight loss? Everyone is different. As far as nutrition there are so many foods you can get good stuff from. Milk does not stand alone. What might be good for you might not for someone else. Sometimes if I am not confused about something, just wait a minute and I will be, especially with Media!!! I get frustrated:mad:

I'm going with listen to the scientists who have studies that back up their claims.

i posted studies. sorry bro. so much for being reasonable. haha

What studies? You posted an article from USA today and a blog from Dr Weil.

Yeah, I'd always take nutritional advice from a sometimes muscial theatre actor and beachbody coach who doesn't know the difference between a study and a newspaper article. And he wonders why so many people dispute his broscience and related nonsense?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    That's what I believe about milk and I also read that's why lactose intolerance is so common because our bodies aren't made to digest it. I read that if you do want to drink milk then to drink goat's milk because that was the first animal dairy that our species started drinking (other than human milk) so our bodies are able to digest that better.

I personally love the taste of almond milk so much more anyway.

Did you know the main carbohydrate in human breast milk is also lactose? Yet we still develop lactose intolerance.. so why is it lactose from cows that causes it? Haven't we been drinking breast milk for ages longer than cow's milk?

did you know how bad the added chemicals in almond milk are? Did you know the calcium added into almond milk is mostly chalk?

the chalk thing's silly. just because it's a mineral doesn't make it bad for you. but i agree on the other chemicals in almond milk.

and we're not saying it's just cow's milk - human's lose the enzyme to break down lactose as they age. that includes all milk.

Another blanket statement about all humans. This is why you're getting flamed.

*sigh*

the humans that CAN digest milk as adults are in the minority and have a genetic adaptation. it's not "normal"

read the link I just posted.
    Wow where on earth did you get this? I know like one single person who is lactose intolerant and they still can have and love dairy occasionally. And minority? Since when? Any proof of that? Last I checked about 2% of Northern European descent exhibit lactose intolerance? See Sara's post on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/788363-milk-or-no-milk?page=4 for references. She's more informed then me on the matter.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    quoted

*sigh*

the humans that CAN digest milk as adults are in the minority and have a genetic adaptation. it's not "normal"
    read the link I just posted."

Really? I have a genetic adaption that enables me to digest milk as an adult and I am not "normal"? Me and everyone else I know then. Minority? I think not!

Long live the mutant milk drinkers :drinker: :drinker:
    It's actually around 35% that are lactose intolerant, which gets confused with the 70% that have some aversion to it, but not all products and not all the time......this somehow translates into I want to save the world from the evils of milk.....pretty funny unless you have to protect a biased thinking, then it makes sense, on that level, I would imagine.

why couldn't our genetic mutation be something better? i'd so swap being a mutant milk drinker for being able to breathe underwater (or some other genetic mutation that would be so much cooler and more beneficial than the digestion of dairy).

oh, and being of northern european descent, i know only 1 person who's lactose intolerant. she is my neice, and funnily enough as she's got older it's got better.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I love all the different OPINIONS.....from people, scientists, doctors, books, websites, Tv shows movies. REALLY exactly who knows what the truth really is. Reasoning on both sides can make sense, as with alot of issues. How does it make you feel? How does it effect your weight loss? Everyone is different. As far as nutrition there are so many foods you can get good stuff from. Milk does not stand alone. What might be good for you might not for someone else. Sometimes if I am not confused about something, just wait a minute and I will be, especially with Media!!! I get frustrated:mad:

I'm going with listen to the scientists who have studies that back up their claims.

i posted studies. sorry bro. so much for being reasonable. haha

What studies? You posted an article from USA today and a blog from Dr Weil.

Yeah, I'd always take nutritional advice from a sometimes muscial theatre actor and beachbody coach who doesn't know the difference between a study and a newspaper article. And he wonders why so many people dispute his broscience and related nonsense?

Listen here, he's good at backing up his blog info with a convincing argument, haha, bro.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    This is FASCINATING!
    It's not normal. Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people.

Evolution at work.

So no, we're not "meant" to drink milk, but we white folk have adapted over thousands of years to be able to digest it. So we're all right. Haha

all you white folk arguing that you don't know anyone who's lactose intolerant - just look at the information. it's not surprising.

10% of europeans are lactose intolerant.

but overall, 60% of all people are lactose intolerant.

and as for newspaper articles - where do you think they get their information? the studies they cite... which were performed by scientists.

y'all don't need to agree with me - that's fine - but to say that I don't use studies is patently false.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This is FASCINATING!
    It's not normal. Somewhat less than 40% of people in the world retain the ability to digest lactose after childhood. The numbers are often given as close to 0% of Native Americans, 5% of Asians, 25% of African and Caribbean peoples, 50% of Mediterranean peoples and 90% of northern Europeans. Sweden has one of the world's highest percentages of lactase tolerant people.

Evolution at work.

So no, we're not "meant" to drink milk, but we white folk have adapted over thousands of years to be able to digest it. So we're all right. Haha

all you white folk arguing that you don't know anyone who's lactose intolerant - just look at the information. it's not surprising.

and as for newspaper articles - where do you think they get their information? the studies they cite... which were performed by scientists.

y'all don't need to agree with me - that's fine - but to say that I don't use studies is patently false.

Is that what the voices in your head tell you? Do you even know the difference between an article and the stardards of proof and a peer reviewed study? The more you talk, the more you appear the fool. Nice work!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    http://rense.com/general63/milkmyth.htm

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/12/new-study-increased-milk-intake-does-not-protect-against-osteoporosis-but-does-promote-ovarian-and-p.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance
    Most mammals normally become lactose intolerant after weaning, but some human populations have developed lactase persistence, in which lactase production continues into adulthood. It is estimated that 75% of adults worldwide show some decrease in lactase activity during adulthood.[5] The frequency of decreased lactase activity ranges from 5% in northern Europe through 71% for Sicily to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries.[6] This distribution is now thought to have been caused by recent natural selection favoring lactase persistant individuals in cultures that rely on dairy products.[7] While it was first thought that this would mean that populations in Europe, India, and Africa had high frequencies of lactase persistence because of a particular mutation, it has now been shown that lactase persistence is caused by several independently occurring mutations.[8]

the things I'm suggesting are pretty widely accepted everywhere but this board.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This is FASCINATING!

Evolution at work.

#FTW!!!!
    White people have no perspective because they're white and everyone they know is also white!

(extreme sarcasm font)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    This is FASCINATING!

Evolution at work.

#FTW!!!!
    White people have no perspective because they're white and everyone they know is also white!

(extreme sarcasm font)

whitey is oppressing the cows!

:bigsmile:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/12/new-study-increased-milk-intake-does-not-protect-against-osteoporosis-but-does-promote-ovarian-and-p.html

Most mammals normally become lactose intolerant after weaning, but some human populations have developed lactase persistence, in which lactase production continues into adulthood. It is estimated that 75% of adults worldwide show some decrease in lactase activity during adulthood.[5] The frequency of decreased lactase activity ranges from 5% in northern Europe through 71% for Sicily to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries.[6] This distribution is now thought to have been caused by recent natural selection favoring lactase persistant individuals in cultures that rely on dairy products.[7] While it was first thought that this would mean that populations in Europe, India, and Africa had high frequencies of lactase persistence because of a particular mutation, it has now been shown that lactase persistence is caused by several independently occurring mutations.[8]

depends on your definition of "everywhere".

Scientology is pretty widely accepted inside the halls of the Scientology headquarters.

outside of there, not so much.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is FASCINATING!

Evolution at work.

Pro-tip: Look at the actual studies themselves.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    abandon-thread-gif-2_zpse3147f1a.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You do realize that a down regulation of lactase production =/= lactose intolerance don't you? Obviously not from your comment.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You do realize that a down regulation of lactase production =/= lactose intolerance don't you? Obviously not from your comment.

full blown intolerance? maybe not - lactose sensitive? absolutely
  • Deliriant
    Options
    tHw0b.gif
    I almost just died from laughing.no joke.XD

However...I should add that I don't drink milk,it makes me feel sick and I hate the taste.So it's not for everybody,I would just see how it personallly affects you.One size doesn't fit all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

full blown intolerance? maybe not - lactose sensitive? absolutely

Which is very different to what you have been saying
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Our INSIDES have trouble breaking down dairy. Its a common fact. Jesus people.. its called education.

I drink it and eat dairy! I just know we were not meant to...just like we our guts have a hard time with processed food and refined this and refined that. You can eat kale, certain seeds, other leafy greens vegetables...tons of things the body breaks down with ease.

Wow, only on page five of this fun zone topic and this had to be the most ridiculous post yet. All of the foods mentioned as being easier to digest than milk... flat wrong (assuming that body produces lactase). The ignorance, selective reasoning and flawed logic rampant within this thread is hilarious and sad.

Drink it or don't but please stop with this pseudo science, type whatever drivel comes to your finger tips in order to state your flawed case. Or don't stop because then the world would be slightly less amusing.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

They may be widely accepted in your friends group but they're not widely accepted in the scientific community. You can argue until you're blue in the face against logic and science but you have to understand that it sounds naive at best. And frankly, that is being very generous.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

They may be widely accepted in your friends group but they're not widely accepted in the scientific community. You can argue until you're blue in the face against logic and science but you have to understand that it sounds naive at best. And frankly, that is being very generous.

haha it's wiki-friggin-pedia. that's crowd-sourcing. IE: information comes from a multitude of sources, and ALL of those sources are not only listed, but come from the scientific community!

obviously wikipedia isn't perfect, but you can see the sources. you just have to do a little legwork. you expect it of me, i expect it of you.