WHY HIDE YOUR FOOD DIARY ??

Options

Replies

• alijane9
    alijane9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why people hide there food diary as advice can help and lets be honest if your fat and overweight like i was you need to be honest with yourself.

This might seem harsh but come on people I found being honest with myself one of the biggest steps. I use to lie how fat I was to people and myself.

Surely you have your answer now? Where have you gone? Post and run? It's not the first time that this topic has been posted and for some obscure reason it's probably not going to be the last time I decide to read through the entire thread. In fact, got so engrossed I can't remember why my diary isn't open for every weird, over-opinionated pseudo-expert to have a browse through. Oh yeah. There it is...
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I lock mine because I've lost 150lbs by myself and now train heavily in marathons and triathlons and I am on here for support or to support others but not necessarily ask for advice. When I seek or look for advice on here, it's mainly about the fitness or exercise questions I have, not what I am consuming.

I'm always honest with myself and unless I explicitly ask for some help or a look at my diary it's my business.

In this case, you might be doing your friends a service by making your diary public. It sounds like you have been very successful. Instead of looking for advice, why not make it public in order to help out other people who need advice themselves?

That is true a while ago :) For instance, if I was on here and still losing the major amount, then yes.

But at the moment my diary wouldn't be of use to anyone unless they are training for a marathon and / or triathlon. For instance, before a big run, I sometimes carbo load the night before and I run and train A LOT. My diary now is more of an athlete rather than a weight loss person, but I am happy to help, if people want, when it comes to the weight loss part ....
  • mindbodystrength
    Options

Some people do not want feedback from others. This is not the same thing as "not being honest with yourself" in all cases.

I will give you one example: I have a friend with an eating disorder. She does not like to be ridiculed by people who truly do not understand her battles. Locking her food diary prevents this.

I'm sharing this with you for context. You may need accountability or commentary. Other people may not, and that's not a bad thing.

^^THIS times a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I am actually burning calories laughing at this thread. Oops there goes another 50 cal. :laugh:

Definitely agree with this and agree with those saying it's nobody's business. My diary is open to friends, but I don't have it announcing that it is complete because I don't want to hear others' opinions of whether or not it is okay. Occasionally, I go over on sodium (usually at the Chinese joint) but I know how to drink extra water when that happens - don't need anyone else telling me that!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    im not honest when i know people are looking, lol
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    My is set for friends only..if they are on my friends list, it means I like them and that we have similar goals. I don't think they would be hateful people or "trolls". Just like minded, supportive and encouraging individuals. I don't hate it set to public for non-friends because I don't need the issues that come from people criticizing or making judgements based on how I eat. I don't eat bad, but it's not perfect and definitely a work in progress.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I was very surprised at the comments that came back if I am honest. I might have been a bit mischievous but was surprised at some people level of anger even insults.
    :laugh: you obviously haven't read the forums very much before you posted :laugh:
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    I am not sure why people hide there food diary as advice can help and lets be honest if your fat and overweight like i was you need to be honest with yourself.

This might seem harsh but come on people I found being honest with myself one of the biggest steps. I use to lie how fat I was to people and myself.

Some people do not want feedback from others. This is not the same thing as "not being honest with yourself" in all cases.

I will give you one example: I have a friend with an eating disorder. She does not like to be ridiculed by people who truly do not understand her battles. Locking her food diary prevents this.

I'm sharing this with you for context. You may need accountability or commentary. Other people may not, and that's not a bad thing.
    Yeah I agree.. Today is the first time I made my diary open to public. I binge @ times and when people say things like calm down, eat more or do you really want to lose weight? It Can be detrimental when you have a battle on your hands. So to put it bluntly not everyone lies and if they do then thats a problem they have and shouldent be ridiculed on public forums but supported as like you said you have done it... I mean surely you should have compassion not be a hypocrit. Anyway thats just my slant on it
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Nobody has to open their food diaries to satisfy your curiosity. How absurd.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had mine open to the public and didnt like the feedback I got so I closed it :)

I have many friends who have medical conditions that require them to eat a certain way to lose weight, with that being said the only advise I am concerned with is that of my MD. I have lost 65 Lbs in the last year on my own without any input/advise from anyone on MFP and sure dont need it now :)

That doesnt mean I wouldnt be open to suggestions from MFP/friends I just feel I currently dont need the extra help or advise people would give me without knowing my medical conditions and how that impacts my weight loss. Many people on here just do not realize/undertand that with certain medical conditions you can not eat like a regular person! I dont need or have time to waste on the extra drama of trying to explain my food choices with a person who doesnt understand or doesnt want to try and understand the reasons for my choices.
  • nypr
    nypr Posts: 5
    Options
    :smile:
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    simple they are not a friend dont worry about it
    because people make snap judgements without the facts...for example one day I only ate 600 calories, so a "friend" posted "ummmm" and then unfriended me. She didn't ask...but I was sick that day and had vomited most of what I ate...

so give me a break...I don't feel like being judged like that....but I am happy that "friend" is gone.

Now I have another friend who I adore who gets yelled at about her food choices...so exactly where is the support and constructive critisim.

I know what mistakes I'm making...if I want advice I'll either open it, or I'll post what I ate...
  • peter236uk
    Options
    now that was funny i like that

As long as we're saying things that "might seem harsh," you'll forgive me if I don't take advice from someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're." You may think I suck because my food diary's private, but I think that a grown man spelling things phonetically is a worse crime -- I guess we all have our things that drive us nuts.
    Dont forget "there" and "their" - pet peeve of mine.
    I use the food diary to help me track what I am eating. I don't choose to invite the whole wide world to see it. End of story.
  • peter236uk
    Options
    exactly they are not friends simples
    I can understand why people close their diaries. I've been attacked by someone "all you ever eat is processed junk," which somehow managed to ignore the 3 servings of fresh fruit I'd had that day, and is old fashioned oats and natural peanut butter really processed junk? Just yesterday someone made a snide remark about my less than 1200 calories per day over the past week or so, but I've been sick so meh; no appetite means not eating much - don't we all do that?

But my diary is still open.

If my friends started making comments like that to me, they would probably be defriended.
  • peter236uk
    Options
    No sorry I am here read back you can see lots of replies and post another sad person who need to attack instead of joining a proper debate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely you have your answer now? Where have you gone? Post and run? It's not the first time that this topic has been posted and for some obscure reason it's probably not going to be the last time I decide to read through the entire thread. In fact, got so engrossed I can't remember why my diary isn't open for every weird, over-opinionated pseudo-expert to have a browse through. Oh yeah. There it is...
  • peter236uk
    Options
    Its good fun though
  • peter236uk
    Options
    its fun though
    I was very surprised at the comments that came back if I am honest. I might have been a bit mischievous but was surprised at some people level of anger even insults.
    :laugh: you obviously haven't read the forums very much before you posted :laugh:
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 101 lbs in the past 13 months with no one but myself able to view my diary. I think I'm doin' alright.
  • peter236uk
    Options
    I think with almost 200 replies it quite a surprise that people feel the need to be insulting. I guess ether some people have personnel issues or have been insulted.

I might start another thread about the American diet of processed junk how about that little number that should set the hares off running !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,649 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and be optimistic and assume the OP just worded the original post REALLY badly.