WHY HIDE YOUR FOOD DIARY ??

Options

Replies

• peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wow it provoked a response I think I fund it useful as I then took some advice also others have asked me what I eat etc.

Its good to debate though !
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why people hide there food diary as advice can help and lets be honest if your fat and overweight like i was you need to be honest with yourself.

This might seem harsh but come on people I found being honest with myself one of the biggest steps. I use to lie how fat I was to people and myself.

As long as we're saying things that "might seem harsh," you'll forgive me if I don't take advice from someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're." You may think I suck because my food diary's private, but I think that a grown man spelling things phonetically is a worse crime -- I guess we all have our things that drive us nuts.

+1 I don't take advice from people who can't write properly. It indicates to me either a lack of education, a lack of intelligence or both.

As for your question, I value my privacy. I'm honest with myself; that's all that's necessary.

This is your loss. Not every intelligent or educated person is gifted in English. As long as you can understand what they write, relax and let it slide. This isn't an education or formal writing environment. As a future English teacher, I totally get that poor grammar gives the (often false) impression that the speaker lacks intelligence or education. If you listen to what is said rather than how it's said, you might learn that some of the smartest people have crappy grammar.
  • peter236uk
    Options
    I love the comment about my spelling haha very touchy obviously has some issues bless.

Its like when people say I have this and that or I am large framed etc etc I was one of those kidders as well. I am 6ft 2'' and quite a large framed but still managed to lose 3 stone its about diet and exercise plain and simple in the vast majority of cases. If you eat lots of processed junk and sit on your *kitten* all the time you will get fat plain and simple.
  • peter236uk
    Options
    Good point I am surprised at the response it was meant as bit tongue of cheek
    I am not sure why people hide there food diary as advice can help and lets be honest if your fat and overweight like i was you need to be honest with yourself.

This might seem harsh but come on people I found being honest with myself one of the biggest steps. I use to lie how fat I was to people and myself.

It's my tracking tool, it's nobody else's business what I consume.

Besides, there are a lot of weird judgemental people on the Internet.

A fact this thread seems to back up very well ...
  • pookimonkey
    Options
    I didnt even realise mine was hidden until someone suggested I make it available for scrutiny.
  • peter236uk
    Options
    No but its clear you have an issue with a personal attack its ok I can forgive ignorance and misunderstanding.
    Mine is private because it is my business. Seeing as how I have lost a good amount of weight, goes to show I don't need everyone to look at my diary and see what I am doing right or wrong. But it's awesome that you felt the need to try and call people out on their diary....the only thing you did was make yourself look dumb, while trying to pretend others are using MFP "wrong".
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Mines public (i think) I'm always up for new ideas if anyone wants to input.

Hell, i work in construction, so everyone on the street see's what im woofing down anyway, lol.
  • peter236uk
    Options
    No my diary is my own but I share mine as quite a number have asked what I eat etc. I am not bothered what others eat thats up to them. if someone picks something up from my success all well and good if not that is ok as well. another personnel attack sad really.
    You asked for honesty, heres the honesty.

I don't want weight loss advice from fat people. It's my diary. I don't want unsolicited advice about weight loss from every kid on the internet.

Also, are you creeping up on peoples diaries randomly? Because that alone is a pretty good reason to close your diary.

PS. People can hide their diaries so that its not public but only their friends can see it
  • sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, not because I want advice - just because I don't mind people looking at what I'm eating.

I'll be honest, a lot of my choices are poor - but I just try to stay in my allowances.

I don't mind advice if I ask for it, but I wouldn't be happy if someone said "you shouldn't have had this or that" because I don't like to limit myself to anything.

Some people like to keep their diary to themselves as it's their pesonal information, they don't want advice, they don't feel the need to share. Each to their own, and nobody should question anyone elses choices.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    maybe some people are just shy.
  • hokiesmama
    hokiesmama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    While mine is open to friends who want to look at it, I don't click the big green "Complete This Entry" button, because I don't care where MFP says I'll be in 5 weeks and I don't want to announce that my diary is ready to be viewed. I don't understand why people feel the need to critique other peoples choices without being asked. Some days are better than others, my choices are mine. If I ask for an opinion, then great, give me one. If I don't ask, then I'm not wanting one.

And let's be honest, I've lost more weight than you, so I'm doing ok...and I'm not lying to anyone about how fat I am and how much I have to lose.

You're assumption that I'm not honest with myself just because you weren't is the exact reason why I don't want to open my diary for everyone to look. And even if I'm not honest with myself, without asking for an opinion, what business is that of yours?

I SO agree ^^^
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i agree with you! i am friends with people on here and not in everyday life. so i kinda look at it as i have nothing to prove on here to anyone. i want advice and help from others. especially those with experience with losing weight.
  • ShellysRoad
    ShellysRoad Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    IDK how mine is even set. I think I will try to go find it now. Had no idea it was such a hot button topic.
  • ShellysRoad
    ShellysRoad Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    yep friends only
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I make private notes on mine and they are just for me. Also, I had a few people be very judgemental about things which is not why I am on here.

I don't need somebody else to hold me accountable, I can do it myself. It does not mean I am not holding myself accountable for my food choices or tracking everything (good or bad).
  • peter236uk
    Options
    I have to say very surprised at peoples reactions and even an attack on my grammar which is funny as someone who is supposed to suffer from dyslexia or so I am told. This has never caused me an issue .

Of course its up to the individual and I respect that as an individual choice. I do however feel that if you have lost alot of weight or found something that works for you why not share it ?

This is after all an online community, I was actually amazed at how easy it is. I have done the gyms in the past and always played sport. However it was what was going in that was wrong. I was kidding myself that I was fat and fit when really I was just a fat bloke thinking I was fit.
  • peter236uk
    Options
    Of course
    one of my friend's has hers locked. she says she writes personal notes on the diary on some of the days. she doesn't want those publicly visible because they are only for her to see. so her profile stays locked... seems like a good enough reason to me.
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed because I know many of my eating habits and choices are not what they should be, starting with frequent undereating and repetitiveness. I use MFP mainly as a tracking tool to help me make changes toward a more healthy eating, but I can´t change overnight. I definitely don´t need the stress of other people seeing and commenting on what I´m doing, as food is stressing me enough itself. I need to feel safe to be able to be 100% honest with myself and log things according to the real intake and not the way to avoid being judged or getting advice from someone who doesn´t understand my situation propperly. Also I no way want to "inspire" or influence someone else by my bad choices.
    I understand that the mere information that "I was under my calorie goal" is not sufficient for those wanting to give me a positive feedback and motivation, since "under my calorie goal" may mean "way too low" and it actually does quite often. But again, since I don´t expect anybody here to help me making my choices, I just accept this as their being friendly and supportive. For the same reason I tend to comment on people exercise related news feed rather than to just to the info that they are bellow their calorie limit.
    And I don´t look anyone elses´s food diary unless my MFP friends directly ask my opinion.

(Note: I´m not a native English speaker, so in case someone feels insulted by my grammar, feel free to correct me. :laugh: )
  • molliepops1962
    Options
    I did open mine initially but found I was getting comments I could happily live without, I always eat under my calorie target through choice and am losing approx 2Lb a week if I needed anyone to comment I would open it again but I seem to be doing OK myself. I find some comments less than helpful when what I am doing works for me.
  • jojo1410
    jojo1410 Posts: 151
    Options
    Why hide your food diary?
    Maybe to stop people judging them without knowing the facts!!!