WHY HIDE YOUR FOOD DIARY ??

Options

Replies

• MBNagel74
    MBNagel74 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I chose to have mine open to friends only as a way to keep it more public. I tried the private thing, and it never worked for me. I needed to try something different. My issue isn't always about what I eat - it's how I eat or don't eat that has been the issue. If someone else can keep me in check, great.

Ultimately, I know the responsibility is mine, but I joined this site for the support - not to do this completely on my own.
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Excellent points good stuff
    Mine is open to friends only and I enjoy seeing what my friends are eating. It helps to give me ideas for new foods for myself. I haven't received any negative feedback on my friends reading it. I am open to suggestions..that's why I am here and allow people to send friend requests. If I didn't want support or if people were just rude, they would be deleted.
    [/quote]
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Good stuff I would never be negative to anyone .
    I chose to have mine open to friends only as a way to keep it more public. I tried the private thing, and it never worked for me. I needed to try something different. My issue isn't always about what I eat - it's how I eat or don't eat that has been the issue. If someone else can keep me in check, great.

Ultimately, I know the responsibility is mine, but I joined this site for the support - not to do this completely on my own.
    [/quote]
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I explain in my profile the reasons why mine is locked:
    My food diary is locked and will remain that way for a couple reasons:

1) I eat reasonably healthy, but I won't hold my diet up as an example for anybody else to emulate.

2) What I'm doing works for me and I really don't care what anybody else thinks of it.

This is how I am. I don;t go into forums saying "Why can't I lose weight." If I wanted advice about that I would unlock mine. But what I'm doing works for me. I eat less calories then people think I should, but I'm not hungry and don't feel effects from it. If I feel like I', limiting to much I eat more. There are some days I eat horribly and some days I eat great. I had my diary unlocked at one point and heard all kinds of things from people that were irritating so I locked it.
  • skyttles
    skyttles Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ... lets be honest if your fat and overweight like i was you need to be honest with yourself.

I'm not fat or overweight and never have been. Even at my heaviest I've been well within standards for normal weight/fat ranges etc. I'm using this to maybe loose a few vanity pounds, but more importantly to start making better choices. I use the diary to track so I can PERSONALLY go back and be accountable. Its my journey and no one elses. I don't particularly want or need feedback on what i consume and how much i work out. I also don't see any reason to share my diary with someone who isn't on the same path as me. Some days i eat relativity low some days i eat relatively high. I'm very little and have a fast metabolism. What if someone looks at my diary and thinks my habits are ok to mimic. That's horrible.

Anyways, just my 2 cents :)
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    OP, you also assume that everyone on here is "fat", which is why everyone is here.

Not true.

I joined MFP to track my eating habits and make some changes.
    Others track macros, etc because they are working on body comp.
    Like SS mentioned on page one, some people are battling an eating disorder.

This is not a one-size-fits-all tool, so don't expect people to fit into your tidy boxes of what you think is an appropriate use of this site.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Simply because its mine and I don't need or want advice.Also it keeps all of the judgy people out of my business.

Not to mention it's a DIARY...Duh! My personal diary from when I was a little girl was never public why
    should my food diary be?...
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If I'm not asking you for your advice, what business is my food diary of yours?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Because I haven't logged food since October.

So, why would I?
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I am honest with myself, but I don't need people judging every little morsel I put in my mouth--we are all on different journey's to health. That is the same reason I refuse to comment, or even look at, othe people's diaries--unless directly asked to. It's nobody's business.
  • NinjaTheGinger
    NinjaTheGinger Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nag, nag, nag. How dare you suggest an idea other than our own. We r privut ppl dat need privucy. GO BACK TO YOUR HOLE AND DON'T TALK AGAIN.

Just in case you needed the synopsis on the feedback so far. Lulz.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Oh , this post AGAIN!

*eyerolls*

I am recovering from an eating disorder. I sometimes log I sometimes don't. I sometimes struggle to eat my daily allowance. I no longer binge or purge or undereat or overeat, BUT my diary is for my eyes only, if I want advice on something I will open it up for everyone's critical view, until then it is just for my practice and to allow me to overcome what used to be a trigger for me (calorie counting). If you don't know what a trigger is, then please google eating disorders and triggers, thank you..

p.s. there is no anger contained in this post, just a little frustration maybe at this old chestnut mmmm k?!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why people hide there food diary as advice can help and lets be honest if your fat and overweight like i was you need to be honest with yourself.

This might seem harsh but come on people I found being honest with myself one of the biggest steps. I use to lie how fat I was to people and myself.

Do you mean hiding it from friends or hiding it from everyone? I have mine open to friends (I like feedback, plus I may give them some food ideas)... why would I want random strangers to be able to see what I eat? What's the purpose of that? I think it's a little creepy....
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If people ask for help with their diet and are wanting to be guided by others, then yes, they should have their diary unlocked. But unless they SPECIFICALLY say something along the lines of "I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I think I'm eating healthy but I still can't lose the weight/bulk up/ feel more energized/etc", then don't judge them negatively for keeping the diary locked. Just because someone's asking for ideas doesn't mean they want to be criticized for their current meal plans, and just because someone locks their diary doesn't mean they're lying to themselves. It simply means that they don't want dozens of differing opinions on what they should be eating, and that's their choice.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Unfortuately, there are a LOT of judgement people here...I've been able to weed those out of my friends thankfully. But...as said before, this is a personal journey and we are all doing it our own way, a way that works best for us. There are people who are following 1200 calories a day are the way to go, or paleo, or zig zagging...I do not support or judge any of these. I may even be doing one of these myself, but that is for me to know. If I need help, I ask...
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Maybe I just wasn't paying attention but it took me 3 weeks before I even noticed that my diary wasn't public

this. the default is private. i changed it to be viewable to friends only i think.
  • Amellej
    Amellej Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    what a sanctimonious post, ugh. if someone wants to open their diary and solicit advice, then they will do it; you aren't the diary police.

HAHA so true!
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Like others have said I think your logic is flawed that just because people don't have their diary open to everyone means they are not being honest with themselves. I am honest in mine good bad and ugly and yep it is viewable by me only.

If someone isn't going to be honest with themselves they can do that with an open or closed dairy, it isn't like someone pops out of the wall if you eat a Big Mac and "forget" to log it.
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Exactly!
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    My diary is just a personal reference for me, no one else needs to know what i'm eating