Bacon?!

Options

Replies

• sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Best. Thread. Ever.

Anyway, what about these ricotta-stuffed, bacon-wrapped dates? :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/ricotta-stuffed-bacon-wrapped-dates-recipe/index.html
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Make some candied bacon with some thick, uncured REAL bacon.

Turkey bacon pisses me off. It's a filthy wannabe that needs to stick to what it does best - Thanksgiving dinner and sandwich meat.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    my brother made gilled (you could probably find a way to bake them) bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers - still have the no-so-great-for-you cream cheese, but the majority of the dish is the pepper.

These are really yummy! They can be done in the oven, too. I'd use a rack to allow the grease to drain. Maybe with turkey bacon and light cream cheese?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    COLLARDS! Fry the bacon into little crispy bits.then fry the collards in the bacon grease.. Drain off the grease as much as you can and add water and boil add the bacon back in. YUM!

Also, I used to make a nice bean dish with baked beans, diced tomatoes, ground beef, Kielbasa, onions and bacon... it's not as horrible as it sounds.

cut the bacon up into squares and fry it up until most of the fat is cooked out but not until it's completely crispy. Drain off most of the fat. set bacon aside. cut one onion into strips and fry that in the little bit of bacon grease (like a tablespoon of grease not a vat of it) Set the onions aside. brown some lean ground beef. put all your ingredients into a pot, add two cans of baked beans and two cans of diced tomatoes cut some turkey or other lean kielbasa into it. Add a bit of oregano and black pepper. let simmer for 15 minutes or so so the flavors can all blend.

Also chocolate dippped bacon or THIS: http://blog.modcloth.com/2012/07/13/chocolate-covered-bacon-wrapped-banana-kabobs/
  • tbone0120
    Options
    I don't normally jump on these message boards but, this is a topic near and dear to me. There are a couple of things that you can do to cut fat. If you can find it, use cottage bacon, bacon made from the pork shoulder, not the belly. There is much less fat and it tastes as delicious. You could also use center cut bacon which is also a little more lean. Here is a recipe that I have made before that is really good, and not terrible for your diet.

BLT Cukes
    1/2 cup finely chopped lettuce
    1/2 cup finely chopped spinach
    3 slices bacon, cooked, drained of fat and crumbled
    1/4 cup finely diced tomato
    1 Tbsp plus 11/2 tsp mayonnaise (use light or olive oil mayo)
    1 large cucumber, seeded
    1 green onion finely sliced (for garnish)
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine lettuce, spinach, bacon, tomato, mayo, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and mix well

Peel cucumber, trim off ends and cut in half lengthwise. Use spoon to scoop out seeds and discard.

Divide bacon mixture between cucumber halves mounding in the center, cut into 2 inch slices.

garnish with green onions.
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    I love to fry a couple of slices of bacon, then add copped vidalia onions and as much chopped kale as I can fit in the pan to saute together.

For an appetizer - you could take the resulting saute, cook up a couple of cups of quinoa, add an egg and some parmesan cheese to make a fritter-batter, then pan fry them or bake them up with some cooking spray. I've done these as patties or rolled into small balls and serve with a yogurt dip (whatever kind you like).
  • gajhgmimi
    Options
    I did a google search and found this great article about getting the taste of bacon .... without using bacon. Pretty easy ideas ...

here's the link:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-add-the-smokey-flavor-of-bacon-to-vegetarian-and-vegan-dishes-171151

just copy and paste into your browser to get to The Kitchn - an interesting website
  • chuck191
    Options
    Bacon wrapped shrimp... Awsome, lightly cook the shrimp, wrap in bacon bake in the oven... U can't go wrong with this party starter!
  • kjf1982
    kjf1982 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but just wanted to say that I love your friend! ...And bacon! ...And your friend for loving bacon enough to have a party honoring its existence! :happy:

Yeah, she is pretty awesome!
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump, gosh darn it
    now I am practically salivating like Pavlov's poochies:) LOL
  • Shook765
    Shook765 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Jalapenos halves with a slice of chicken breast and then wrap in bacon and grill or jalapenos stuff with chorizo and cream cheese. Yum!
  • redhen101
    Options
    How about this, BLT salad

images are fairly straight forward
    cover upside down cup cake or muffin pans with foil
    weave bacon over upside down cups and bake
    add lettuce (or I like spinach instead) and some cherry tomatoes
    croutons and dressing optional

this looks awesome! add avocado and you've got a meal. YUM i want one right now :tongue:
  • kjf1982
    Options
    bump, gosh darn it
    now I am practically salivating like Pavlov's poochies:) LOL

Me too!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much wrap anything in bacon. People posted bacon wrapped asparagus, figs, dates, peppers and chicken. All of those are great, but you can really wrap most things in bacon. It depends on your palate. Don't be afraid of bacon, it is yummy, yummy protein! Turkey or chicken bacons will be lower in fat. I am a fan of turkey anything, so I will always go with turkey bacon or burgers.
    That being said, that bacon cheesecake thing looked AMAZING! I would totally make that and probably eat most of it :devil: but then I'd go to the gym :happy:
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You can make green bean bundles. Purchase frozen or can green beans(extra long). Take 3 or 4 green beans and wrap them with a half slice of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. Once you have made the bundles place them in a pan and bake until bacon is done to your taste. They make GREAT appetizers. Best Wishes!!!!!
  • kjf1982
    Options
    These are all GREAT ideas! I'm having a hard time choosing just one...
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon is more fattening the regular bacon!
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love bacon & tomato pasta sauce over angel hair pasta. And it's been mentioned already but jalapenos stuffed with low fat cream cheese and wrapped in bacon are delicious and easy, too.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake topped with candied bacon. Image courtesy of gp79
    photo-10.jpg

I think I am in love!!!
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A friend just told me he had bacon wrapped figs and dates, but I've never tried them. I saw a recipe for bacon brittle. I'm going to try it, but haven't yet. I saw someone just posted on mfp about cooking kale in bacon grease, but not sure how that would go for a party.

Definitely bacon-wrapped dates. Love the sweet/salty taste combination. Dead simple to make, and not too bad for you either.