PISSED OFF!!

Options
I have been busting my you know what since I joined the gym almost 2 weeks ago. The first week, I lost 1.5 lbs. I weighed in this morning, and I'm up 2 lbs. I've been working out like a crazy person, doing cardio and strength training. I'm supposed to be eating 1400 calories (loading up on protein and limiting carbs) but I'm barely getting 1000-1100. Yesterday I did eat 1657 but worked off 526 with a net of 1131. What the hell am I doing wrong????? I seriously wanted to cry this morning...

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1) You aren't eating enough. 1131 is nowhere near enough, especially with that kind of workout regimen.

2) When you start strength training, it's common for your muscles to retain water. Many people "gain" a few pounds during the first few weeks of a new weight program.
  • vikkibanks31
    Options
    i feel your pain, im in exactly the same situation :( . . . makes you seriously wonder why do ya bother going gym etc.... hope someone could shed some light on this....
    1 possibility is your building up muscle?
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Don't be mad.

Sometimes it's because your muscles are sore, which is a good thing; they are inflamed and a little 'bloated' because they are breaking down to get stronger! There was a great thread here about new exercises causing you to temporarily gain weight because of this. If I find it I'll link you, or you could do a search.

Or... could be TOM.

Or too much sodium in the diet.

Last week I went up three pounds (TOM and then dropped what looked like 6 pounds this week, but it was both TOM and the fact that I've been working on more strength and my muscles were sore.

Keep up the good work; it comes off in chunks sometimes!
  • cchanski
    Options
    Don't worry yet you might be only retaining extra water. I will sometimes fluctuate 2-3 kg due to excess water or waste in my body. As long as the scale is going down over time you shouldn't change anything yet. Also time of day can effect your weigh in a lot. Best time is first thing in the morning, your body will be most consistent at this time. But if you need to use a gym scale just watch the weight over time.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are doing anything wrong!
    there was a really good article on here about when you start a workout routine you have some water retention associated with muscle soreness (DOMS) - and it is temporary weight but should go away (if i find it again i will post it)....it is frustrating for us all but happens a lot - just try to know that you r doing what u r supposed to be doing and ignore the scale for now!
  • joycebug
    joycebug Posts: 309
    Options
    I saw my trainer at the gym today but we aren't working out together until friday. He said we'd talk about it but both of us got busy. I just don't want to waste my time doing the same thing and expecting different results. Isn't that the definition of insanity???
  • leastar128
    Options
    I am not pro at this, but I think you need to eat more- "but I'm barely getting 1000-1100" --- you are not eating enough calories. A personal trainer came to my work and did a free sceminar, he said the people that come to him often get discouraged b/c they are not losing weight and working out like mad. When he asks them what they are eating, it's barely anything (just salads pretty much). Once he tells them to up their calorie intake, they begin to lose weight. My advice- EAT MORE- and consistently (not just one day eat the 1600 cals or whatever it was)...everyday and I bet you will start to lose. Good luck!!
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more
    2. Give it more than 2 weeks.
  • amemarie12
    Options
    could be muscle weight if you're doing strenth training - muscle burns more calories than fat so it will be super beneficial in the long run!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You need patience. Keep at it and you will see the weight drop. I know you want results yesterday, but patience and persistance really does pay off. Your body is adjusting. Let it. (It also sounds like you're not eating enough)
  • KelliA0628
    KelliA0628 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough. I didn't believe it at first either but once I adjusted my calories I started to believe the hype.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    1) You aren't eating enough. 1131 is nowhere near enough, especially with that kind of workout regimen.

2) When you start strength training, it's common for your muscles to retain water. Many people "gain" a few pounds during the first few weeks of a new weight program.

Calm down and read this again......
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Rome wasn't built in a day, dude.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more
    2. Give it more than 2 weeks.

This.

1000x this..
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 weeks... relax... you also need to eat more. If you give up, you'll just kick yourself later.
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    your going to have days where the scale won't show you what you want to see so id take measurements every few week or so last week i gained 10lbs all because my scales were broke i believed the scale because its new and ive not used it but ive been really good! go by what you see and how your clothes feel the scales a lying *****!! lol good luck x
  • mkzara
    mkzara Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I saw my trainer at the gym today but we aren't working out together until friday. He said we'd talk about it but both of us got busy. I just don't want to waste my time doing the same thing and expecting different results. Isn't that the definition of insanity???

I also think it's the definition of insanity to do something for 2 weeks and then want to give up.

If you have any excess weight, chances are you didn't put it on in one day and it might take a little while for your body to adjust and for it to come off.

I am no expert but I think giving it 2 weeks might be too little time.
  • joycebug
    joycebug Posts: 309
    Options
    Don't be mad.

Sometimes it's because your muscles are sore, which is a good thing; they are inflamed and a little 'bloated' because they are breaking down to get stronger! There was a great thread here about new exercises causing you to temporarily gain weight because of this. If I find it I'll link you, or you could do a search.

Or... could be TOM.

Or too much sodium in the diet.

Last week I went up three pounds (TOM and then dropped what looked like 6 pounds this week, but it was both TOM and the fact that I've been working on more strength and my muscles were sore.

Keep up the good work; it comes off in chunks sometimes!

I know I should be patient...I guess my chunks aren't coming off fast enough for me!!!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options

A million times this. People need to stop creating the biggest deficits they can handle, it's not productive or healthy.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Just keep pushing yourself, you'll get there and weight will start to drop.
    1100 calories really isnt that much though if you are burning more than 600 or more calories each day. I'd bump your intake to 1400 a day and keep working out. It'll get better.
    also when you weigh yourself once a week - stay consistent. Weigh on same day each week, at same around about time wearing the same clothes (or none). Morning time is your true natural weight.
    I always get up and weigh first thing in the morning!