PISSED OFF!!

Options

Replies

• nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    water weight!!!?? just a thought...

think about it... 453.6 ml of water equals 1 lb, thats 16 oz

an average bottle of water weighs 500ml thats about 1lb so if your drinking a lot and perhaps extra because you are working out that will show up on the scales

I guess the best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning before you drink anything, then see... water is heavy y'all!! :P
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Have patience sweetie. I do think you are eating too little though. Try upping to 1500 a day and burn like 500 calories a day. That'll give you 1-2 pounds a week.
  • MrzMallory14
    MrzMallory14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough I'm not a pro either but I've learned alot along the way. Your body needs fuel without proper fuel you can actually slow down your metabolism . Just don't waste your calories on drinks and junk. I eat all day 3 meals and 2 snacks and I've notice with better choices Before I started MFP I was losing average so far of 2bs a week. This week I lost 4... I work out 4-5 days a week. Use other measurements as well... How do you feel? How are your clothes fitting. Don't lose your mind based on the scale this is a marathon and you can do it.
  • vampirelove43
    Options
    Hello don"t be mad just hang in there and keep going.I"m having a hard time just staying motivated,I need help with exercising.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's already been said, but:

1. Eat more.
    2. Give it a MINIMUM of 4-6 weeks.
    3. Patience, Young Padawan.
  • Pernimac
    Options
    Perhaps you might need to eat more, or workout less! Stay posivitve... take a deep breath, cry if you have to, (I love to cry, helps get over the emotionaly hump), and then tell yourself (ALOUD) "I can do this! It will be done!", and keep working for it. Losing weight is a learning process and you have to bump your head a few times before you get to the really good stuff! :-) Add me as a friend if you like. P.
  • joycebug
    joycebug Posts: 309
    Options
    Pretty sure it's already been said, but:

1. Eat more.
    2. Give it a MINIMUM of 4-6 weeks.
    3. Patience, Young Padawan.

That's awesome!!!
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    Girl, the same thing happened to me last week! I was sooo mad that I was gaining... but I read up on it... When you first start working out, your body retains water to help your muscles heal. It will probably go away next week or the week after... This morning when I weighed, I noticed that my weight is dropping faster this week. I was so mad last week though. Keep with it!
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Is your last chance workout directly before your weigh-in???? Like at 7 or 8 am? I never ever get on the scale after a work out. I'm always up!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You ARE doing it right. You've been busting *kitten* for two weeks, it takes about that long to start to see real muscle growth. This is what is so sinister about scales, they are a true measure of how much you weigh, your bones and your blood and your fat and your muscles. Depending on your level of hydration, you could weigh in a range of plus or minus ten pounds!

Do a little experiment for me, take a gallon jug of water or milk and weigh yourself on the scale, holding the jug. Water weighs around 8 pounds per gallon. If you are fully hydrated, then you will see fluctuations in your "weight". If you go from dehydrated to hydrated, or if you work out with heavy weights, as your muscles repair the micro tears and get stronger, they will retain water. After lifting heavy, I always gain about 4 pounds worth of water by the next day. You don't even have to drink that much, your body will retain it, and you simply won't pee out what you DO drink.

Also, there is a difference in calorie dense food and calorie light food, with calorie dense food like fried chicken and snack mixes having very little water in them. 1600 calories = a Mcdonalds Angus Cheeseburger, Fries, and a regular coke. Now, while it may be a little too much food for most people, most people could probably eat that meal without much difficulty if they had a gun to their head.

Consider that 1600 calories is also = to TEN 4oz chicken breasts plus SIX cups of steamed broccoli. Given an entire day I don't think I could eat ten portions of chicken.. much less that plus broccoli.

My point is, healthy foods are heavier, there is a larger volume of healthy food on a plate, than of a calorie packed hamburger patty on a plate. So, when you think about weight, keep in mind that the weight of what you are EATING is also a part of that. If you had 1600 calories worth of healthy food the day before.. and haven't, uh, gotten rid of it yet, then the weight of everything you drank, everything you ate, and everything you haven't yet gotten rid of is part of that number on the scale.

Stop thinking along the lines of the scale. It will take effort to change your mindset, just as it takes effort to lift those weights. But it truly is worth it. If you are dedicated to eating less, and for an overweight person there is not a damn thing wrong with eating 1100 calories, then you will lose FAT off of your frame. If fat loss (and not muscle gain) is your goal, then eating less is a good thing. Listen to your body to tell you when it is hungry. Remember, eating when we weren't hungry is what got us here in the first place.

If you start working with higher weights and focusing on gaining some awesome girl strength, then you will actually GAIN *ahem* weight while improving the look of your physique, because you would still be losing FAT as a % of your total body weight. the weight of your fat would be dropping while the weight of your muscles would be increasing.

Body fat percentage = weight of your fat / weight of your lean mass (ie bones and organs and muscles)
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    TOM?
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Read this. This is what really happens during the journey. You will get frustrated, impatient and hit plateaus. Stick to it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/857137-for-the-newbies-here-is-what-losing-80-pounds-is-like
  • tinyyz
    tinyyz Posts: 1
    Options
    I read articles like this on forums all over. EVERYONE gives the same advice to eat the allotted amount of calories.
    That does not work period. I am 28 yo, male, and weigh 280 lbs. For 11 months I have been jogging 4 miles a day (5 days a week) and rotate days working upper body, abs, lower body. I use myfitnesspal along with a Fitbit One. I cut out almost all carbs, drink alot of water and increased my protein.
    If I eat my allotted 1930 calories I GAIN WEIGHT. Everytime I listen to these people and start eating those calories I gain weight.

I too can only eat between 800 - 1200 calories a day to mainain my weight. I have given up on trying to loose weight because it's impossible. There are times that I will gain more weight then I have physically put into my body (yes I have weighed everything that I have injested) This whole theory of "burn more calories then you consume = weight lose" is not holding water. Just start reading forums and you'll find that out really quick.

I'm not responded to bum anyone out. I'm posting to share my experience and show that you and others are not alone.

It's very frustrating to read alot of articles that tell us to do the same things, but when you do them, the results are not there.
  • joycebug
    Options
    You ARE doing it right. You've been busting *kitten* for two weeks, it takes about that long to start to see real muscle growth. This is what is so sinister about scales, they are a true measure of how much you weigh, your bones and your blood and your fat and your muscles. Depending on your level of hydration, you could weigh in a range of plus or minus ten pounds!

Do a little experiment for me, take a gallon jug of water or milk and weigh yourself on the scale, holding the jug. Water weighs around 8 pounds per gallon. If you are fully hydrated, then you will see fluctuations in your "weight". If you go from dehydrated to hydrated, or if you work out with heavy weights, as your muscles repair the micro tears and get stronger, they will retain water. After lifting heavy, I always gain about 4 pounds worth of water by the next day. You don't even have to drink that much, your body will retain it, and you simply won't pee out what you DO drink.

Also, there is a difference in calorie dense food and calorie light food, with calorie dense food like fried chicken and snack mixes having very little water in them. 1600 calories = a Mcdonalds Angus Cheeseburger, Fries, and a regular coke. Now, while it may be a little too much food for most people, most people could probably eat that meal without much difficulty if they had a gun to their head.

Consider that 1600 calories is also = to TEN 4oz chicken breasts plus SIX cups of steamed broccoli. Given an entire day I don't think I could eat ten portions of chicken.. much less that plus broccoli.

My point is, healthy foods are heavier, there is a larger volume of healthy food on a plate, than of a calorie packed hamburger patty on a plate. So, when you think about weight, keep in mind that the weight of what you are EATING is also a part of that. If you had 1600 calories worth of healthy food the day before.. and haven't, uh, gotten rid of it yet, then the weight of everything you drank, everything you ate, and everything you haven't yet gotten rid of is part of that number on the scale.

Stop thinking along the lines of the scale. It will take effort to change your mindset, just as it takes effort to lift those weights. But it truly is worth it. If you are dedicated to eating less, and for an overweight person there is not a damn thing wrong with eating 1100 calories, then you will lose FAT off of your frame. If fat loss (and not muscle gain) is your goal, then eating less is a good thing. Listen to your body to tell you when it is hungry. Remember, eating when we weren't hungry is what got us here in the first place.

If you start working with higher weights and focusing on gaining some awesome girl strength, then you will actually GAIN *ahem* weight while improving the look of your physique, because you would still be losing FAT as a % of your total body weight. the weight of your fat would be dropping while the weight of your muscles would be increasing.

Body fat percentage = weight of your fat / weight of your lean mass (ie bones and organs and muscles)

Thanks for all this sound advice!! My goal is to lose the fat and keep my awesome girl strength. I've never been thin and have always been made fun of for having "guy muscles". I'm proud of them and want to keep them, just want to shed the fat that keeps the majority of them hiding...
  • joycebug
    Options
    Is your last chance workout directly before your weigh-in???? Like at 7 or 8 am? I never ever get on the scale after a work out. I'm always up!

Yeah, I did cardio for 30 minutes this morning before running into the office for that weigh-in...Epic mistake??
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you've heard of them but out at the Large Hadron Collider, in Switzerland or some European whatever, they're doing research into the Higgs Boson, the so-called "god particle" that gives matter mass.

Now Higgs Bosons give matter mass, and gravity gives mass weight.

I think in your case, you might simply be some sort of quantum aberration which has too many Higgs Bosons per unit of matter. Does this make sense?
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more
    2. Give it more than 2 weeks.

^^^YES!

Did it take more than 2 weeks to gain the weight? If yes, give it more time. Remeber that slow weight loss is more likley going to result in long term change.

Keep at it! It takes time, but it is worth it.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Umm... you just joined the gym 2 weeks ago. Let's have a little patience, shall we. And you need to eat more, as others have said. Giant deficits aren't better than small deficits. Set your goals to 1 pound a week-- or less. It's much more realistic.

I know you're right too...patience has never been a virtue of mine though. I guess I need to re-train my brain...

yes! so many people think that because 2 lbs is the max they can lose per week that they CAN lose 2 lbs per week. Mine is set to .5 pounds per week and I've had steady loss. It's a much more attainable goal.
  • joycebug
    Options
    I read articles like this on forums all over. EVERYONE gives the same advice to eat the allotted amount of calories.
    That does not work period. I am 28 yo, male, and weigh 280 lbs. For 11 months I have been jogging 4 miles a day (5 days a week) and rotate days working upper body, abs, lower body. I use myfitnesspal along with a Fitbit One. I cut out almost all carbs, drink alot of water and increased my protein.
    If I eat my allotted 1930 calories I GAIN WEIGHT. Everytime I listen to these people and start eating those calories I gain weight.

I too can only eat between 800 - 1200 calories a day to mainain my weight. I have given up on trying to loose weight because it's impossible. There are times that I will gain more weight then I have physically put into my body (yes I have weighed everything that I have injested) This whole theory of "burn more calories then you consume = weight lose" is not holding water. Just start reading forums and you'll find that out really quick.

I'm not responded to bum anyone out. I'm posting to share my experience and show that you and others are not alone.

It's very frustrating to read alot of articles that tell us to do the same things, but when you do them, the results are not there.

Hey, hang in there. I know I posted this out of frustration, but honestly, I knew that there had to be others out there who can give really sound advice to help us all out. Don't give up on your goals...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more
    2. Give it more than 2 weeks.

This.

1000x this..

Yes, this.

And your body can fluctuate several pound over night. you didn't gain 2 pounds of fat.
    And you are not eating anywhere near enough.
    AND you need to be patient. 2 weeks? I've been on here for 2 years.