PISSED OFF!!

Options

Replies

• joycebug
    joycebug Posts: 309
    Options
    Umm... you just joined the gym 2 weeks ago. Let's have a little patience, shall we. And you need to eat more, as others have said. Giant deficits aren't better than small deficits. Set your goals to 1 pound a week-- or less. It's much more realistic.

I know you're right too...patience has never been a virtue of mine though. I guess I need to re-train my brain...

yes! so many people think that because 2 lbs is the max they can lose per week that they CAN lose 2 lbs per week. Mine is set to .5 pounds per week and I've had steady loss. It's a much more attainable goal.

Yeah, not only have I been accused of being impatient, I also set too-high expectations. I need to learn what's best for my body too. Steady wins the race, right?
  • joycebug
    Options
    I'm not sure if you've heard of them but out at the Large Hadron Collider, in Switzerland or some European whatever, they're doing research into the Higgs Boson, the so-called "god particle" that gives matter mass.

Now Higgs Bosons give matter mass, and gravity gives mass weight.

I think in your case, you might simply be some sort of quantum aberration which has too many Higgs Bosons per unit of matter. Does this make sense?

Oh yeah...completely...
  • joycebug
    Options
    TOM?

I shudder to think if it were...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    When you're only 20 pounds from your goal it isn't going to melt off like it does for people who have lots to lose.
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yup.. definitely arent eating enough. If you are working out and not refueling your body or intaking enough to fuel what you do on a normal day your body will go into starvation mode.

Also, you can be up 2 lbs just due to sodium or dehydration. It sucks *kitten* but it will come.. I started to notice this week my biceps.. yes I have them now!..lol Im only down 5 lbs this month not 15 like i would LOVE ( totally unimaginable tho) but My biceps have arrived!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Umm... you just joined the gym 2 weeks ago. Let's have a little patience, shall we. And you need to eat more, as others have said. Giant deficits aren't better than small deficits. Set your goals to 1 pound a week-- or less. It's much more realistic.

I know you're right too...patience has never been a virtue of mine though. I guess I need to re-train my brain...

yes! so many people think that because 2 lbs is the max they can lose per week that they CAN lose 2 lbs per week. Mine is set to .5 pounds per week and I've had steady loss. It's a much more attainable goal.

Yeah, not only have I been accused of being impatient, I also set too-high expectations. I need to learn what's best for my body too. Steady wins the race, right?

exactly. try to learn that now! I lost almost 40 pounds in 6 months and quickly gained 15 back. I'm re-losing about 10 of it (I didn't look very healthy at the lowest) slowly and it's working well. If you learn slow and steady now, you won't have to re-learn it like i did! Trust me, having to re-learn that after losing a lot was really hard.

ETA: I'd only weigh once a week... or at least only pay attention once a week. I fluctuate a lot during the week, but Sunday to Sunday I'm consistently down half a pound.
  • joycebug
    Options
    Hello don"t be mad just hang in there and keep going.I"m having a hard time just staying motivated,I need help with exercising.

Thank you!! Wish I could help you with the exercising. i LOVE to work out!!!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I saw my trainer at the gym today but we aren't working out together until friday. He said we'd talk about it but both of us got busy. I just don't want to waste my time doing the same thing and expecting different results. Isn't that the definition of insanity???

NO! This isn't the definition of insanity even if Einstein said it.

Some things take longer than 2 weeks.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Don't workout the morning of your weigh-in. That's where some of the water retention comes into play. Not only are your muscles retaining water to heal, you probably drank water before/during/after your workout, right?

In fact, if Tuesday morning is weigh-in, I would make Monday your rest day for the week, as in only workout Tuesday through Sunday. That will give your muscles a day to heal and repair. You should see a drop on Tuesday morning if you do that.
  • ShimmyMeli
    Options
    You're not eating enough so therefore when you do eat enough your body is holding onto it because it was in starvation mode. Eat more (eat clean of course) and keep working out. Also, try drinking half your body weight in water.

half your body weight in water???
    There is such a thing as drinking tooo much water, it's called water toxicity, could lead to all sorts of electrolyte imbalances in your body. I would not advise to do this. it's dangerous.
  • FlabToFabLetsGOOO
    Options
    Im no expert but you may be gaining weight in muscle! Maybe look into investing in something to measure your body fat percentage instead... I think thats what Im going to do because seeing the scale go up for ANY reason pisses me off too! lol =)
  • joycebug
    Options
    Yup.. definitely arent eating enough. If you are working out and not refueling your body or intaking enough to fuel what you do on a normal day your body will go into starvation mode.

Also, you can be up 2 lbs just due to sodium or dehydration. It sucks *kitten* but it will come.. I started to notice this week my biceps.. yes I have them now!..lol Im only down 5 lbs this month not 15 like i would LOVE ( totally unimaginable tho) but My biceps have arrived!

Awesome!! Yes, I love my biceps...I don't care that I've been made fun of for my big muscles (especially since I'm only 5'0 and they look bulky). These arms are the way they are because I took what my parents gave me and worked on it. And they're the way they are because I love holding my baby!! Now if I can just get rid of the wings I have growing from my triceps...lol
  • joycebug
    Options

exactly. try to learn that now! I lost almost 40 pounds in 6 months and quickly gained 15 back. I'm re-losing about 10 of it (I didn't look very healthy at the lowest) slowly and it's working well. If you learn slow and steady now, you won't have to re-learn it like i did! Trust me, having to re-learn that after losing a lot was really hard.

ETA: I'd only weigh once a week... or at least only pay attention once a week. I fluctuate a lot during the week, but Sunday to Sunday I'm consistently down half a pound.

Hey...down a half is good. You look great!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I read articles like this on forums all over. EVERYONE gives the same advice to eat the allotted amount of calories.
    That does not work period. I am 28 yo, male, and weigh 280 lbs. For 11 months I have been jogging 4 miles a day (5 days a week) and rotate days working upper body, abs, lower body. I use myfitnesspal along with a Fitbit One. I cut out almost all carbs, drink alot of water and increased my protein.
    If I eat my allotted 1930 calories I GAIN WEIGHT. Everytime I listen to these people and start eating those calories I gain weight.

I too can only eat between 800 - 1200 calories a day to mainain my weight. I have given up on trying to loose weight because it's impossible. There are times that I will gain more weight then I have physically put into my body (yes I have weighed everything that I have injested) This whole theory of "burn more calories then you consume = weight lose" is not holding water. Just start reading forums and you'll find that out really quick.

I'm not responded to bum anyone out. I'm posting to share my experience and show that you and others are not alone.

It's very frustrating to read alot of articles that tell us to do the same things, but when you do them, the results are not there.
    Could be your thyroid, or some specific food your body doesn't like. Your body might be holding onto lots of water which could cause you to gain more than the amount of weight than the food you've eaten. But gaining more than your food and water combined would be either impossible, or the most dramatic discovery since gravity. ;)

Have you tried cutting out specific things to see if it makes any difference?
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I read articles like this on forums all over. EVERYONE gives the same advice to eat the allotted amount of calories.
    That does not work period. I am 28 yo, male, and weigh 280 lbs. For 11 months I have been jogging 4 miles a day (5 days a week) and rotate days working upper body, abs, lower body. I use myfitnesspal along with a Fitbit One. I cut out almost all carbs, drink alot of water and increased my protein.
    If I eat my allotted 1930 calories I GAIN WEIGHT. Everytime I listen to these people and start eating those calories I gain weight.

I too can only eat between 800 - 1200 calories a day to mainain my weight. I have given up on trying to loose weight because it's impossible. There are times that I will gain more weight then I have physically put into my body (yes I have weighed everything that I have injested) This whole theory of "burn more calories then you consume = weight lose" is not holding water. Just start reading forums and you'll find that out really quick.

I'm not responded to bum anyone out. I'm posting to share my experience and show that you and others are not alone.

It's very frustrating to read alot of articles that tell us to do the same things, but when you do them, the results are not there.

I gotta support what this guy said. Eating more does not work for me. I have tried it and gave it time, Believe me! What works for me is high protein, and reducing calories. Sucks but it works.
    The one thing I hate about MFP is that I am not allowed to say this. If you say anything to contradict EM2WL you get your head handed to you on a platter.
    Let the roasting commence....
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I gotta support what this guy said. Eating more does not work for me. I have tried it and gave it time, Believe me! What works for me is high protein, and reducing calories. Sucks but it works.
    The one thing I hate about MFP is that I am not allowed to say this. If you say anything to contradict EM2WL you get your head handed to you on a platter.

I'm not trying to hand you your head on a platter. My personal opinion is that if you can push 1000 calories worth of boulder-up-the-hill on 500 calories of food, then you violate the laws of physics, and I have to arrest you lest you cause a space-time rift.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Yeah, like you I almost didn't reply to this post because what I typed and what I think *does* contradict the EM2WL crowd, and I was tired of getting flamed and argued with because of it. I'm with you, don't worry there are plenty out there who know the truth, and your courage should be commended. Silence and acquiescence is in fact what those people want.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to hand you your head on a platter. My personal opinion is that if you can push 1000 calories worth of boulder-up-the-hill on 500 calories of food, then you violate the laws of physics, and I have to arrest you lest you cause a space-time rift.

LOL well when you say it all cute like that, I don't mind so much!:flowerforyou:

I am just saying, I tried eating my sedentary tdee, and adding 300 calories of exercise daily, and there was nary a budge in the scale. I don't want to maintain my weight and be ripped. I want to lose weight. on the scale.

I also question the "magic thinking" behind 1200 calories. Like a 5'3 50 year old woman, and the 6'3 weightlifting male both go into "starvation mode" at 1200 calories? He might be starvng, she might be perfectly fine. And they both only need 8 glasses of water a day too. I believe in evidence- based weightloss. I create my own statistics, analyse them, experiment with what works for me. I am really happy that so many have found what works for them. I really am.

Now, lest I hijack this thread, let's go back to the matter at hand....
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have been busting my you know what since I joined the gym almost 2 weeks ago. The first week, I lost 1.5 lbs. I weighed in this morning, and I'm up 2 lbs. I've been working out like a crazy person, doing cardio and strength training. I'm supposed to be eating 1400 calories (loading up on protein and limiting carbs) but I'm barely getting 1000-1100. Yesterday I did eat 1657 but worked off 526 with a net of 1131. What the hell am I doing wrong????? I seriously wanted to cry this morning...

People are going to tell you to eat more.. they tell me this all the time. I am trying, but I understand the struggle. ti's hard to eat more when you're not hungry. I've planned out a full day of food today.. good protein and really healthy. If i eat it all i'll get just over 1300. (which is good since I started at around 800 a day. (this is gross not net calories.. baby steps!) Of coruse i'm not hungry for lunch, so i may not eat it. But i'm trying!! i also go to the gym 4-6 days a week and do very good workouts. I know I need to eat more, but it's a process. and not as easy as people make it sound
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    P.S. And let me just say your motivation is motivating! :happy:

Thanks!! I'm really not one to give up, it was just today's frustration with that weigh-in and my NEED to WIN everything...lol. Yes, I have no patience and I'm super competitive. Blame my parents...lol

I feel your pain, as I'm in the exact same position as you right now.

But really, what are we going to do - quit? We KNOW that doesn't work!