DUMBEST thing you ever believed

Options

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

I also told my oldest daughter that the ice cream truck only plays music when it was out of her favorite ice cream...lol (we still laugh about this and the fact that she passed it on to her younger siblings)

My little cousin was born when I was 14. We all used to live together, and I spent my teenage years caring for him while his mom was out doing god knows what. I adored him, but he was a handful.

One day I told him that he came from the "Cousin Farm" and since he was not being nice, I was going to send him back there and ask them for a new one. He said "please please don't send me back to the cousin farm". After that, whenever he would act up again, all I would have to do was mention "the farm" and his eyes would get wide and he would quickly change his tune ...for awhile. And when mentioning the farm didn't work, I would just make a phone call to Santa Claus.
  • GosuLoli
    Options
    That your belly button was made by the doctor tying your umbilical cord like a balloon knot.

...It isn't?
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    If I swallowed a watermelon seed then one would grow in my belly SMH!!!!!!!!!!!

me too
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    That getting hooked on drugs involved a literal hook.
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    When I was young, my mom used to say "Your clothes are getting small for you.." and I literally thought that clothes shrink for some odd reason and it never occured to me that I was growing lol
  • ObiRenKenobi
    Options
    When I saw the Blair witch project I thought it was real..
    And when I was really young I thought that if someone poked my belly button, my butt would fall off..
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    You know what's funny... I don't remember ever believing anything really silly as a child. I never even believed in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, etc. I've always been good at knowing when someone is lying to me. I didn't believe the watermelon seed thing either. I was always just really skeptical. I actually pretended to believe in Santa to make my Mom happy. I was a pretty weird kid. :P
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, I used to think that giraffes and cows were related.
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My childrens father told me that Jack rabbits existed and I believed him up until a few years ago when we were talking about said jack rabbits. He burst out laughing after he saw the very confused look on my face and said "Ddn't I tell you that I was joking with you?" For 10 years I believed the darn things were real!

Jackrabbits do exist ... http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/jackrabbit/

Unless he was talking about magical ones or sumthin ...

Maybe she's thinking of the Jackalope?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    That everytime you swallow chewing gum it wraps around your heart, so the more you swallow the tighter it squeezes your heart and eventually it will kill you... Wow that is dumb!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    When I asked where my dad was going when he would head out to work, my mom would say he's going to make some money. I thought he was making actual money; I imagined him making pennies and such. lol

HAHAHA I LOVE THIS!! It actually makes sense...
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I just remembered my mom used to tell us that if we had a white spot on our nail it meant we had a boyfriend... I remember when i actually had a crush on a boy I tried to hide my hands from my mom LOL
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Until my early 20's i thought the term "making ends meet" was "making ends meat" as in making some kind of poor peoples food. Like all you could afford was the end of the meat.

Just as embarrassing as that, as a kid i was told that the reason we say bless you when people sneeze is because of an old indian belief that your spirit will try to escape when you sneeze so until my early 20's I thought every one was saying "blushew", what i assumed was an old indian word. It wasn't until some one sneeze and another person very clearly said "god bless you" that i realized how stupid i was.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    That "Camping World" because it was so huge from the outside was and indoor camping site.............................it was a motorhome sales floor.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    That spanish people were considered white... I still tend to believe this, apparently they're Latino's.

I lived in a small city growing up!
  • EmilyJaneRigali
    Options
    when i was little i thought that all boys were left handed and all girls were right handed. my dad and brother were both left and my mom and i were right. i didn't know anyone else yet, so that's just what i believed. lol
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    When I was REALLY young I used to think the world used to be black & white, because all old pictures were in black & white.

Shutup I was a kid!!

I thought this too. I was little and looking at a photo album with my mom and asked her when everything turned to color.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    That eating a caloric deficit could actually result in weight loss.
    I'm so embarassed. :embarassed:

You stole mine!
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My grandmother told me that dragonflies would sew my mouth shut if I lied. (Because of their long bodies, resembling sewing needles, and she was a seamstress so of course she would know this LOL) They had a summer cottage near a lake with tons of dragonflies. For years I told nothing but the absolute truth when we were there.
  • Morethanwillpower12
    Options
    That new shoes would make me run faster and jump higher. My parents used to say this every time I got a new pair and of course I would always do my best running and jumping to prove that it was true. I had to continue that tradition with my own kids. It is just too cute to watch them run and jump when they get new shoes. My youngest is now 12 and still to this day believes that his new sneakers make him run faster and jump higher. :)