DUMBEST thing you ever believed

Options

Replies

• jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    To the jackalope people, not only did I believe in it, but my grandfather gave me the mounted head of one. Yep... rabbit face with antlers.

I believed that sugar caused eye goop (thanks to an old baby sitter "I can tell you've had too much sugar by looking at your eyes") and, frankly, I'm not positive this isn't true. HA! I certainly told my son it was!!

Believed all cats were female and all dogs were male (later in life it was pointed out to me that all females are catty and all males are dogs - not that I subscribe to this, but I thought it was a humorous correlation)

My favorite, though, was a friend who believed that the STOP signs that have white borders are optional to stop at. Now, yes, look at every STOP sign you see today....
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Another human being.
  • ghostwor1d
    ghostwor1d Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You know how on power lines there are these large black packs? You see them every couple of posts, near the edge. I don't know what they are...maybe some sort of supply or something?

I used to think those were squirrels that were electrocuted on the lines. I knew from movies that when you get electrocuted you can't let go of the wire. So I assumed the power line workers couldn't get the squirrels off...so they'd just cover them with black wire tape and move along.

lol.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    "I love you"

thats sad. But it was the dumbest thing I ever believed.
  • Scarlettbird50
    Scarlettbird50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That pregnant women had eaten watermelon seeds and were growing one in there.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    That you could go blind from doing it. I was mortified when needed glasses as a teen, thought I had been so busted!
  • kps31kms2
    kps31kms2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That if I opened the pantry Mrs. Butterworth would come to life, I was terrified.

And that on Ash Wednesday the priest was going to burn my forehead with the ashes. Thank you cousin Gregg for tormenting me when i was 5!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    That my ex husband told me the truth when he said he loved me. Also when I was little I thought people were inside of the TV. That was up until I saw the TV repair man come and change out the tubes. I was flabbergasted.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Growing up in DC, I thought we had two mayors: Mary and Berry (yes, berry, like the food). It took me a number of years to figure out it was one guy pulling all those shenanigans, Mr. Marion Barry. :ohwell:
    Yeah... wasn't he related to the "Professor Ann Marion" from "Gilligan's Island"? :wink:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    That the song MaryJane by Rick James was about a woman and not the green ganja! :laugh:
    <misunderstood song poker> I'll 'see' your "Mary Jane" and raise you a "Brandy" by "The O'Jays"
  • jennifersue88
    Options
    When I was 18 I had a honda accord. The guy I was dating at the time told me it was a rice burner.. I totally believed it could run on rice for like 3 years LOL
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    That the song MaryJane by Rick James was about a woman and not the green ganja! :laugh:
    <misunderstood song poker> I'll 'see' your "Mary Jane" and raise you a "Brandy" by "The O'Jays"

Definitely can relate to that! Who knew it was about a dog! :noway:
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    That leather was made out of butterfly wings. I swear my mom told me that, but she doesn't rememberit.

That "Coming Attractions" was the name of a movie.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    That 'cheese' was spelled 'cheeze'

And to think I'd make the weekly sale signs at the grocery store.....took until I was 24 for someone to tell me I was spelling it incorrectly.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    That leather was made out of butterfly wings. I swear my mom told me that, but she doesn't rememberit.

That "Coming Attractions" was the name of a movie.

I thought To Be Announced (seen regularly in the TV Guide AND on the TV Guide Channel) was some sort of boring PBS-like newsprogram.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    That the Cowboys were good.
    This!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    My Dad told me that there was a special breed of cows that had shorter legs on one side of their body, which made it easier for them to eat the grass on mountain-sides.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    That clowns were evil and if you had one in your room it would kill you while you slept.....I hate clowns of any kind and someone gave my son a clown on a swing to hang in his room when he was little and it took everything I had to go in there (didn't have the heart to tell him he couldn't have it)......
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    I thought that movies were films of people's real lives conveniently filmed at the perfect times...