Anyone else only working out at home ONLY

Options

Replies

• jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I only workout at home also. I just got "back on" the weight loss journey January 2nd of this year. The first week I did no exercise, second week I did Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies 1-4, third week 45 minutes on elliptical four days a week, this week Gold Gyms Sculpt and Burn (highly recommend), next week plan on alternating all of the exercises I listed...
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I belonged to a gym for years, pretty consistently; I was a regular, always there through the waves of people who start in January every year and then quit around February or March. I would get up at 5am to workout for an hour before work and I just hated it (plus I wasn't paying attention to my eating at the time so it was good for fitness but not for weight loss).

Last summer I started working out at home with Jillian DVDs (30DS, RI30) and kettlebells and I've never felt better. I've cut my workout time in half by no longer needing to commute to/from the gym and have cut the every increasing gym expenses as well (the cost of the DVDs+kettlebells were equivalent to 2 months of gym membership). When the weather warms up I plan to walk and bike and do other non-gym activities. Nothing against the gym-lovers but I'm going to need a pretty compelling reason to go back.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home - unless I can work in a brisk walk during the day at work.

My treadmill is in the middle of the living room, so it is easily accessible. I don't do any weight training....walking is it.

I have found that the daily challenges issued on MFP are fun to try. Since I don't do any weights, they are quite a challenge!
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've lost all of my weight doing at home workout DVDs. I recenetly signed up at a hot yoga studio, but otherwise I still do all of my workouts at home. I've done Jillian Michaels, P90X, Insanity, GSP RushFit, CheLEAN Extreme, and TurboFire.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I've lost all the weight from home too :)
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill ($100 barely used) on Craigslist. I also have a few free weights that I use and the resistance bands. I own the P90X workouts (and might start them again in the near future) and some other workout DVD's but I'd rather come up with my own workouts and watch TV while I do them lol. Lots of body weight exercises though added to a running schedule. I could probably afford a gym but what's the point when I'd rather do what I've been doing at home :)
  • vgarza87
    Options
    I work out at home! 3 DVDs Billy Banks:Boot Camp, DWTS: Dance, And Zumba. I just don't have time to go out to the gym. I work full time, I am a wife and I am a mom. I like to do a different DVD every time.
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Bump-
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Home Have a variety of workout Dvd's. I am more active outside in the summer and hike almost every day. Don't want to deal with busy gyms and lines for equipment.. :smile:
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands give you the best bang for your buck, especially if you buy some that are interchangeable or have different bands for different resistances.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we got a cheap weight set, a $99 exercise bike and a treadmill, heaps of dvd's and a large air con! It's so much better than the gym!
  • jettcoco
    Options
    I also work out at home... it's the only thing that works for me. I don't have time to get to the gym, workout, then back home. I've been working out at home since 1998. I mostly use DVD's. I have all of Cathe Friedrich... she's the absolute best!!! Nothing better. I also have Insanity, P90X, George St-Pierre, Jillian, you name it ... I probably have it... I'm addicted to fitness DVD's. I also have a treadmill for those days when it's freezing. My latest purchase is a spin bike... love it! Easy on my joints... not getting any younger. I also walk a lot, we own a cottage on the beach... this is when I walk for miles with a weighted vest on the days I can get there. For anyone starting out at home.... buy some Cathe Friedrich DVD's.... she's fantastic. She's the one that got me to fall in love with working out at home 25 years ago.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I work out from home and this time around I've been very successful. Prior to this weight loss success I worked out at a gym and so I was really scared about working out at home. Gym = 48 lbs lost Home = 54 lbs lost.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

I solely use Zumba and 30 DS.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I belonged to a gym for years, pretty consistently; I was a regular, always there through the waves of people who start in January every year and then quit around February or March. I would get up at 5am to workout for an hour before work and I just hated it (plus I wasn't paying attention to my eating at the time so it was good for fitness but not for weight loss).

Last summer I started working out at home with Jillian DVDs (30DS, RI30) and kettlebells and I've never felt better. I've cut my workout time in half by no longer needing to commute to/from the gym and have cut the every increasing gym expenses as well (the cost of the DVDs+kettlebells were equivalent to 2 months of gym membership). When the weather warms up I plan to walk and bike and do other non-gym activities. Nothing against the gym-lovers but I'm going to need a pretty compelling reason to go back.

ME TOO EXACTLY! I was a regular at my gym 3-4x a week for the last 3 years. But with a change in job location, and now being able to walk to and from work, working out in my basement is my new favourite thing. I have a full weight bench/weights down there, a treadmill, and I got my hands on Jillian's 30 Day Shred. LOVE IT!!! Love not smelling that awful smell at the gym, love not having to commute, love being in the comfort of my own home with the music blasting. And I love that I can completely motivate myself. :-)
  • jessa271
    Options
    Hi! I workout at home because I'm too embarrassed and broke to join a gym. I borrow fitness dvds from the library (sometimes they have them on sale too) and then I can get an idea if it's one I'd like to buy. My favorites are the 10 minute solution ones (I mix and match them to make a 60 min workout) and the firm. The Firm are hit and miss though, some are terribly basic, and some are just too hard to keep up! I also use my phone as a pedometer, which makes me deliberately walk more just to see how far I'll go in a day!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I can't afford my gym membership anymore.
    I do Jillian Michaels DVDs.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I could pay for a gym membership, but, I would have to stuff my children in a closet and hope no one alerted the authorities before I got home (the gym does offer childcare, but that bumps the cost into the I can't afford it category). Plus, I would have to wear shoes, and I find it near impossible to balance properly in shoes (and, also, would have to pay for said shoes... more money I don't have).
    Instead, I've found that I can on you-tube until I figured out what I liked, and splurged on a Zumba box set, and a cross training dvd. I've gone from lazy sloth to cardio junkie anyways, and do cardio usually twice a day. I'd hate to have to lock my kids in the closet for all that period of time.
  • fluttermom5
    Options
    I work out at home because I feel happiest in surroundings that I Love. I get my energy from natural light so I am outside walking and playing tennis just for fun. My husband bought me a treadmill last year, and I use it in the morning and when the weather is bad.Shake weight for my arms work really well believe it or not. ( once ya get past the laughing), from feeling silly. But, you can burn calories doing just about anything. Just keep track. I use the map my walk app too. Its great at adding yr miles and calories burned. I also walk 3 miles to the store on nice days. I also enjoy belly dancing, Zumba, and Island dance workout. Give me at home work out any day! Next step...maybe starting a walking group ?:)
  • Glmay2
    Glmay2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    INsanity. NO equipment needed at all. I can't keep up with the speed at which they do the exercises on video, but I do my best and I can burn off 600-700 calories/hr. I have also used biggest loser DVDs and during the spring and summer, bicycling in the area.